Question about break in fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rygar

Burning Hunk
Sep 23, 2013
I am about to start my 4th or 5th year with my hearthstone clydesdale 8491.

for all the previous seasons i have done 3 small break in fires, each getting slightly bigger and burning longer.

do i still need to continue to do this every year? to get rid of any moisture in the unit and help acclimate the cast iron?

for all the previous seasons i have done 3 small break in fires, each getting slightly bigger and burning longer.

do i still need to continue to do this every year? to get rid of any moisture in the unit and help acclimate the cast iron?
Nope

Reactions: rygar

I've always done a small break-in fire at the beginning of the season in cast iron stoves. In the Clydesdale it's also recommended to help to drive out absorbed moisture from the soapstone. Maybe it's overkill, but no harm.

I have a cast stove. I do a small fire in the beginning of the year for 2 reasons. One is that anytime any heating appliance heats up for the first time it smells a little funny.. and also a break in fire to drive out the moisture. I dont do 3. Just one will get you going

Reactions: Lone_Gun