Questions: Converting Old Temco See-Thru Fireplace from Wood to Gas (Propane)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dan M.

Jan 16, 2021
Hello -

My house was built 25 years ago and has a Temco see-thru fireplace. According to the metal tag inside the fireplace, it appears to be Temco Model #: TBST-42-1. The metal tag (attached here) states it can be used for wood or gas and has a gas line hole in the side. Temco is out of business, the builder did not provide an Owner's Manual, and I'm unable to find the Owner's Manual on-line.

I'm wanting to convert the fireplace from wood to propane gas. I have recently had the gas line run to the fireplace and am waiting to resolve the fireplace issue before hooking up the line outside to the propane tank. A professional plumber did all the work and did a nice job in running the gas pipeline. The problem is that this specific fireplace has a 6 inch depth ash lip on each side, so the space for the log set is currently only a 12 inches in depth. The fireplace company I'm working is unable to find propane gas logs that will fit in that 12 inch depth...and they are not willing to modify the fireplace by taking out the 2 6-inch ash lips out. (Note: The ash lips appear they will just lift out but the 12 inch base panel would need to be replaced with a 24 inch base panel.) Oh yes, the inside width of my fireplace is 34 inches.

So, my questions are:

1) Are there any issues that would be caused by taking out those 2 ash lips and replacing the existing 12-inch base panel with a 24-inch base panel. if this is OK, where can I find a 24-inch base panel.
2) Are there any log sets made for propane gas that would fit a 12 inch depth?
3) Any suggestions on where to find an old Temco TBST-42-1 manual?

In general, if the term ash lips is incorrect, what do are these things called? They appear to protect wood burned ashes from falling out onto the hearth...and with gas logs, I would think those ash lips are no longer required.

Thank you,

Dan M.

Fireplace Side 1 Narrow Shot (with dimensions).jpg Fireplace Side 1 Wide Shot.jpg Fireplace Side 2 Narrow Shot.jpg Fireplace Side 2 Wide Shot.jpg Fireplace Tag.jpg

I'd remove the ash lips.

You could line the entire bottom with split firebrick & cut them
to fit using a wet saw, which is the cheapest option.

You can buy universal refractory panels such as this:

But this item is pricy & this dealer only sells them in packages of two...

All that being said, once you've redone the floor of the firebox,
many of the see thru gas log sets seem to have a 17" minimum
depth requirement, so you should be good to go.

Reactions: Dan M.
I'd remove the ash lips.

You could line the entire bottom with split firebrick & cut them
to fit using a wet saw, which is the cheapest option.

You can buy universal refractory panels such as this:

But this item is pricy & this dealer only sells them in packages of two...

All that being said, once you've redone the floor of the firebox,
many of the see thru gas log sets seem to have a 17" minimum
depth requirement, so you should be good to go.
Thank you! This is very helpful information. I may have some additional questions as I explore how best to implement your suggestions.

Reactions: DAKSY