RANT: Why can't things be repaired anymore!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you buy good boots and shoes with stitched assembly, (like Red Wings), you should be able to find a repair shop if you dig. Modern glue assembly doesn't lend itself to such consumer activism.

I'd buy a pair of used Red wings or Chippewa's from the Goodwill before spending $200+ for new junk.

Ehouse

You will be disappointed with either of those choices. S L O W. The 8 and 9n were rated at 24 hp which was about as honest as the tonnage rating of splitters. Some of the old cubs were rated as low as 14hp.

A Case vac or vc was also rated at 24hp and would FAR outwork either of those. Just a heads up.

I sold my 9n for parts recently, but I got a lot of work out of it. Many prefer the 9 because it has a nice slow reverse, great for backing boats, trailers etc.. You can even log with it. I've a booklet from cooperative extension on how to log with a small tractor ( a lost art, like cable yarding, at least around these parts). I rigged a short boom with a set of timber tongs off the 3 point to lower onto the log; didn't even have to get off to hook up. I think weight and gearing have more to do with it than horse power. I used to mow under my hedgerows with a 7' sickle bar through some pretty tough stuff. Grade the driveway (900'). Try that with your new 24 HP cub cadet. Still available around here for +- $2,000. Year of manufacture was 1941. With a good overhaul it'll last another 70 years.

I really like Case though, and I use a 310C crawler in the woods now, wish I had loot to give her an overhaul.

Ehouse

If you buy good boots and shoes with stitched assembly, (like Red Wings), you should be able to find a repair shop if you dig. Modern glue assembly doesn't lend itself to such consumer activism.

I'd buy a pair of used Red wings or Chippewa's from the Goodwill before spending $200+ for new junk.

Ehouse

Not always! I have a pair of stitched hiking boots from LL Bean that were starting to come apart.. I wanted to get them resoled and the stitching repaired (the very reason I bought stitched boots in the first place). I took them to the Delmar "Bootery" in Albany.. they wouldn't touch them. Maybe I'll try another place.

Bean has a lifetime warranty - give them a call.

Reactions: Delta-T
Not always! I have a pair of stitched hiking boots from LL Bean that were starting to come apart.. I wanted to get them resoled and the stitching repaired (the very reason I bought stitched boots in the first place). I took them to the Delmar "Bootery" in Albany.. they wouldn't touch them. Maybe I'll try another place.

I think Carl Bagnardi still does shoe repair at 128 Chestnut St. in Oneonta, just past Walgreen's on the right. 607 432 3041.

Bean has a lifetime warranty - give them a call.

When I bought them, the salesperson explained that the lifetime warranty was for the reasonable life of the product, not forever. I can't argue with that, it seems reasonable to me, which I why I didn't try to contact them. When they started falling apart they were already about 8 years old.. its been even longer now. I have returned stuff to LL Bean which I didn't feel lived up to its lifetime. I might give the local guy a try.

And R12 was an environmental issue. Same same.
More so becuase of it's use as a propellant than in refrigeration.
And Dow had new patents on refrigerants that they actually lobbied for the phasing out, same goes for R-22.

If we used the same recapture\recycle technology and refrigeration licensing as is in place today I doubt there would be any new holes in the ozone layer

When I bought them, the salesperson explained that the lifetime warranty was for the reasonable life of the product, not forever. I can't argue with that, it seems reasonable to me, which I why I didn't try to contact them. When they started falling apart they were already about 8 years old.. its been even longer now. I have returned stuff to LL Bean which I didn't feel lived up to its lifetime. I might give the local guy a try.

I'd be willing to bet they would still make the exchange . . . but that said . . . I think after 8 years of decent use I would call it good and square myself and either fix 'em or buy new.

More so becuase of it's use as a propellant than in refrigeration.
And Dow had new patents on refrigerants that they actually lobbied for the phasing out, same goes for R-22.

If we used the same recapture\recycle technology and refrigeration licensing as is in place today I doubt there would be any new holes in the ozone layer

Yeah but... Every front end fender bender that ended up in the junk yard "magically" broke the AC lines. Every darn one of them.

I've half tried fixing mine,some of it is sealed, so when you break the seal I think it would leak.
Maybe super glue, but thats pretty toxic stuff. Oh well, Thats why its a throw away in company opinion.
Ashame though.

I've half tried fixing mine,some of it is sealed, so when you break the seal I think it would leak.
Maybe super glue, but thats pretty toxic stuff. Oh well, Thats why its a throw away in company opinion.
Ashame though.

Superglue is Cyanoacrylate. Other than fumes which can be an eye irritant its actually quite non-toxic. In fact its the basis of medical adhesives like dermabond that can be used in place of stitches.

The problem with super glue is that the "super" property is simply the fact that it sticks to most anything and cures extremely fast. It doesn't actually make a very strong bond in most cases though. If you are trying to glue plastic a better option is a real plastic glue, most of which are actually solvents that melt the plastic pieces together - plastic pipe cement for PVC or ABS, or plastic model glue for styrene.

Status
Not open for further replies.