RE: Post 2013 ice storm photos

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
Haven't lost power . . . very fortunate considering the amount of ice on the trees and lines still.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    346.2 KB · Views: 184
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    280.5 KB · Views: 182
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 195
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 198
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 189
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 184
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 191
  • 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    231.2 KB · Views: 180
You are very fortunate. That storm would have us out of power for a week.

You are very fortunate. That storm would have us out of power for a week.

I've heard half of Waldo County where I live is still without power . . . including some of my relatives . . . so yeah, very fortunate. I've already extended an offer to have them come over to shower, re-charge phones, etc. and have offered out the use of my generator. So far no one has taken me up on the offers though.

i have relatives in Waldo county and they are out still

i have relatives in Waldo county and they are out still

Latest report I saw said our county and Kennebec County were among the worse affected . . . in the first round Washington County and points downeast got hammered.

I think I escaped the worse of it due to Unity's inland location vs. towns located closer to the coast.

During our 12 years in Northern Virginia, we experienced more than one ice storm. An ice storm is a completely miserable, very destructive, life threatening event. Already there are reports of Carbon Monoxide deaths. Happens every time. So sad. :(

could very well be Jake...my cousins are in Searsport right on the coast

Got power, cable and interwebz back last night, between Searsport and Bucksport ........ Try to get some pics on this weekend

During our 12 years in Northern Virginia, we experienced more than one ice storm. An ice storm is a completely miserable, very destructive, life threatening event. Already there are reports of Carbon Monoxide deaths. Happens every time. So sad. :(

One CO poisoning and death two towns over from me . . . and there was an elderly couple who were poisoned but the good news is it sounds as though they will survive.

I just got back last night from working that storm, I was in Calias and the surrounding towns for a week. They got hammered. We worked 6 18 hour days and had just about everyone back in power. Nobody complained, dozens of people went out of their way to stop and thank us. It wasn't what I had in mind for Christmas, but the people of Maine made it worthwhile.

Reactions: mepellet
I just got back last night from working that storm, I was in Calias and the surrounding towns for a week. They got hammered. We worked 6 18 hour days and had just about everyone back in power. Nobody complained, dozens of people went out of their way to stop and thank us. It wasn't what I had in mind for Christmas, but the people of Maine made it worthwhile.

I never lost power . . . but on behalf of folks that did . . . thank you.

Almost 2 weeks since the storm, took these yesterday .......

P1070220.JPG
P1070221.JPG
P1070225.JPG
P1070227.JPG
P1070228.JPG

Supposed to be a warm up today and rain tomorrow Hoss . . . may help some with the ice, but some of those trees are not going to straighten back up. Tried to cut out a trail that I typically use to access the snowmobile ITS trail. Spent about a day on the project before giving up . . . it was so bad that I lost the trail at one point.

Yeah, they're s'posed to close the bridge today to get more ice off . Dunno if it will be open tomorrow or not, may hafta take another Monday off. Took last one off 'cuz they had it closed, no desire to commute 50 miles each way.

B-r-r-r

We lost power for 6 days.

Attachments

• Ice.jpg
    Ice.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 128
While Calais is quite a ways away from me and I luckily kept my power for the duration of the storm, I'd still like to thank you for being away from your family and helping us Mainers! The neighborhood behind me lost power for a couple days and when the out of state utility trucks slowed down in front of my house and we were just about ready to sit down for a hard homemade hot dinner, I was ready to run out and invite them in to dinner. They continued on down the new road, never to be seen again. :(

So, thanks again!

Reactions: burnham
Status
Not open for further replies.