Ready for winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Trey1979

Feeling the Heat
Sep 20, 2018
Mississippi
Record breaking hot temperatures have got me ready for burning season my 2nd year with the drolet

2018 drolet ht2000

Man the humidity is a killer this year. Suffocating even in the 80s. Retiring in Florida, not gonna happen to this wood burner.

Reactions: Kevin Weis
Yea, it's been worse then central Florida in mid August. Was in the 80's which is very tolerable for me but the humidity was in the 80's as well which made it unbearable for me and I grew up without AC. Work outside was relegated to 1/2 day for me. Maybe I'm just showing my age at 61? Anyways glad when it gets cool enough at night to get at least some shoulder fires going.

Man the humidity is a killer this year. Suffocating even in the 80s. Retiring in Florida, not gonna happen to this wood burner.

My step mother, who winters in Florida, was just pointing out that it’s hotter in Philadelphia this week than it is at her Florida home, by a lot. Thankfully the heat and humidity finally dropped enough today to enjoy a little time outside, spent it doing some gardening this morning, followed by some sailing with the kids at a local lake.

Our shed is full and ready. Fortunately temps this week have been very pleasant. No complaints.

Reactions: Highbeam
My step mother, who winters in Florida, was just pointing out that it’s hotter in Philadelphia this week than it is at her Florida home, by a lot. .
I have a 72 Yr old sister on Merritt Is. She has been working tirelessly for the last few yrs to sell everything she has there, and move back here to Central Pa. Could be that were both older now and the heat really bothers us more. She usually starts suffering in March already each yr. Here at least it was nice right up until July this yr. I dont mind it as much if its recreational activities, but any kind of hard labor outdoors i always schedule around the weather. Just as i do in winter. High of 74 today Fantastic for July!

Last edited:
Central PA has better weather than us in the southeast, and western PA gets wonderful (drier and cooler) summer weather. We are stuck in that miserable mid-Atlantic humidity.

Yes, but Central PA can have such cold winters that even a stellar stove like a BK Princess cant keep houses warm enough (joking...hehe). Pick your poison.

Reactions: Ashful
I let my coal boiler do all the heavy lifting in winter, and although very small does a fantastic job on 3000 Sf leaky 100 yr old house. This winter it went down to 10 below a few times and it still kept it 75 degrees in the house on 3 ton of coal a season. The wood stove is more for the fire view , or a backup and for when i have time to tend it. The TL-300 also keeps the whole house warm without the coal boiler although it tends to over heat the basement floor. I dont like it 85 at the bar,but then again makes a cold beer taste better.

Spent the 4th down in N.C. as we usually do. Low 80s there. Came home to central OH to mid 90s and high humidity. Unbearable here by 10 am.

It’s always about this time of year that I’m ready to start burning.

Got my first load delivered today for winter cutting and splitting. This will begin to replenish what’s burnt this winter.

My frame of mind switches to fall after summer vacations.

Attachments

• DB66C38D-73F4-4816-9B4F-4BF20B566E18.jpeg
    DB66C38D-73F4-4816-9B4F-4BF20B566E18.jpeg
    268.4 KB · Views: 161
Spent the 4th down in N.C. as we usually do. Low 80s there.

It’s always about this time of year that I’m ready to start burning.

My frame of mind switches to fall after summer vacations.
You may want to leave the flannel shirts and down comforter in the closet until next week, though.

Yes, but Central PA can have such cold winters that even a stellar stove like a BK Princess cant keep houses warm enough (joking...hehe). Pick your poison.
A stellar stove with low heat output compared to some other similarly sized stoves.

I have been building up my wood pile for a year now, just over 7 cords. I start my fireplace install in September. Can't wait to start burning

I'll take the monotony of our summer weather. Here's our 4 day (H/L)forecast : 69/57, 68/55, 68/55, 66/54.

Surfed in 54 degree water this morning - the Pacific Ocean keeps things cool close to the coast.

Last edited:
I'll take the monotony of our summer weather. Here's our 4 day (H/L)forecast : 69/57, 68/55, 68/55, 66/54.

Surfed in 54 degree water this morning - the Pacific Ocean keeps things cool close to the coast.

We all hate you :)

I'll take our 4 day forecast, 72 day/ 59 night all week until Friday when it's 75/57. Thankfully this includes some showers which is keeping the forest fire danger down.

We all hate you :)
Oh,at give it time. At some point I'll be complaining this summer when it breaks 100 consistently inland making the thermal low suck the fog off the ocean and parking it overhead. Highs won't break 60. That's when I'm planning to break in my new stove.