Regency F3500 VS BK Chinook 30.2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
So to pbhead. Both stoves are good stoves. The bk will be better at low and slow and will give you more even heat through the burn because of the thermostat. The regency gives you more potential btu output and a slight advantage in efficiency.

Cat warranty doesn't matter. And honestly most of our customers don't use the ashpans regardless. I know I don't either. So that generally isn't a factor between the two stoves either.

Well said. And thanks for also educating me in the process.

Reactions: bholler
So to pbhead. Both stoves are good stoves. The bk will be better at low and slow and will give you more even heat through the burn because of the thermostat. The regency gives you more potential btu output and a slight advantage in efficiency.

Cat warranty doesn't matter. And honestly most of our customers don't use the ashpans regardless. I know I don't either. So that generally isn't a factor between the two stoves either.

I agree. On paper, the f3500 is a better stove. Slightly better, both are very well tested.

I really would miss the BK thermostat though. It's pretty great.

Odd that you are comparing the black box F3500 to a spaceship looking Chinook. The other BK that looks like the F3500 is a princess, with better test results.

Still, the Regency is no slouch, they did a good job in testing.

I agree. On paper, the f3500 is a better stove. Slightly better, both are very well tested.

I really would miss the BK thermostat though. It's pretty great.

Odd that you are comparing the black box F3500 to a spaceship looking Chinook. The other BK that looks like the F3500 is a princess, with better test results.

Still, the Regency is no slouch, they did a good job in testing.
I am not comparing them the op is.

And yes both the regency and princess are black boxes. But the princess has some very strange proportions. I think visually the sirocco would be the best comparison to the regency.

Reactions: Highbeam
Usually 2-3 weeks of -40
That’s cold. Do you want to prioritize shoulder season or for January? What is you other heat source? In stove land these are two really similar stoves that doesn’t happen to often so I do think it makes the comparison harder. Any other deciding factors here worth considering? Dealer support, parts availability, looks ect. The lack of real word reviews and testimonials for the F3500 I don’t think can be completely ignored. You’re wood species and dryness could have more affect on BTU output than the competing models here. I’m a big picture guy (when it’s not my decision;). Don’t get to fought up in specs or epa tests. Seems like both are in pretty equal footing. Secondary combustion plus cat to me says higher btu output but……. I really don’t know anything.

just some thoughts.
Evan

Reactions: moresnow
That’s cold. Do you want to prioritize shoulder season or for January? What is you other heat source? In stove land these are two really similar stoves that doesn’t happen to often so I do think it makes the comparison harder. Any other deciding factors here worth considering? Dealer support, parts availability, looks ect. The lack of real word reviews and testimonials for the F3500 I don’t think can be completely ignored. You’re wood species and dryness could have more affect on BTU output than the competing models here. I’m a big picture guy (when it’s not my decision;). Don’t get to fought up in specs or epa tests. Seems like both are in pretty equal footing. Secondary combustion plus cat to me says higher btu output but……. I really don’t know anything.

just some thoughts.
Evan
The 3500 has been around about as long as the 30.2 boxes.

And the pre 2020 versions were around about the same time as well. After a few initial hicups the regencies have worked very well.

Who do we have here with the current 3500? Sounds like a stout stove. It would be nice to get a few more users to chime in.

Reactions: brian_in_idaho
Here's a few:

Here's a few:

Those I had found already. Rather encouraging info. Hoping we see some additional reports.

STOP!! We have not tested with ASTM 3053 (the ATM cordwood method) The Chinook is certified on M28R.

You cannot at all compare the "EPA" anything! The cordwood numbers in our brochure are from running the stove in our lab (which is used by test agency when we test stoves) and is noted in our literature.

I've posted this before, but hopefully it can be recalled in the future. The ASTM 3053 test is ruled "over" when 90% of the fuel load is consumed in a test run. M28R stoves tests are "over" when 100% of the fuel is consumed. BTU input ÷ by time of test = Btu's per hour. If you make a stove with a thermostat and you have extended burn times (called the "tail") you mathematically reduce Btu's.

We've all commented on this previously, real-world experience is what counts. No need to argue here. Someone favors "x" brand because they own it, someone else favors "x" brand because the sell it and have used it.

Everyone has the likes or dislikes, ugly vs better looking....all parts of opinions. All important but you cannot compare EPA numbers. And in a few years, it will be even less comparable when the FRM is completed. Reason? Fuel species variability is immense. More on that in 2-3 years.

To the OP, both are very good stoves. Both will heat your home with efficiency and clean burning (so long as you do your part).

The input from everyone is valuable. Those that sell (from experience) and those that own. But are are equally valuable.

Last edited:
STOP!! We have not tested with ASTM 3053 (the ATM cordwood method) The Chinook is certified on M28R.

You cannot at all compare the "EPA" anything! The cordwood numbers in our brochure are from running the stove in our lab (which is used by test agency when we test stoves) and is noted in our literature.

I've posted this before, but hopefully it can be recalled in the future. The ASTM 3053 test is ruled "over" when 90% of the fuel load is consumed in a test run. M28R stoves tests are "over" when 100% of the fuel is consumed. BTU input ÷ by time of test = Btu's per hour. If you make a stove with a thermostat and you have extended burn times (called the "tail") you mathematically reduce Btu's.

We've all commented on this previously, real-world experience is what counts. No need to argue here. Someone favors "x" brand because they own it, someone else favors "x" brand because the sell it and have used it.

Everyone has the likes or dislikes, ugly vs better looking....all parts of opinions. All important but you cannot compare EPA numbers. And in a few years, it will be even less comparable when the FRM is completed. Reason? Fuel species variability is immense. More on that in 2-3 years.

To the OP, both are very good stoves. Both will heat your home with efficiency and clean burning (so long as you do your part).

The input from everyone is valuable. Those that sell (from experience) and those that own. But are are equally valuable.
You’ve written this, or something similar, in the past about not using the EPA numbers but I’m not convinced. The EPA ratings are the only thing we have as consumers that is not tainted with potential marketing bias. Certainly not your company but perhaps some less honest companies have been known to flat out lie. If you don’t like the results of the EPA testing or feel they mislead the buying public then lobby the EPA.

Like so many issues these days, we are sometimes forced to trust our government.

Reactions: brian_in_idaho
Thank you all very much for your replies! I really appreciate all the experience and knowledge on this website, and the time spent responding.

We have ordered the Regency F3500 with the blower, convector airmate, and outside air kit. Although we like the look of the BK better, we figured it might not look as nice after a couple of years of fires when the paint starts to oxidize.

Thanks again for all your help.

Good choice no matter what. Enjoy your stove! (and have good, dry, wood for that - modern stoves need DRY wood, or you'll be disappointed regardless of how "good" the stove is)
Get a moisture meter, and read on how to properly use that.

(But, what is that about oxidizing paint? I have not heard of issues like that?)

Thank you all very much for your replies! I really appreciate all the experience and knowledge on this website, and the time spent responding.

We have ordered the Regency F3500 with the blower, convector airmate, and outside air kit. Although we like the look of the BK better, we figured it might not look as nice after a couple of years of fires when the paint starts to oxidize.

Thanks again for all your help.
Please report back with how it works. That f3500 looks great on paper.

pbhead. Is that peanut butter or lead?

I will report back after using it for a while. When I said oxidizing I meant when the paint goes dull after losing its shine.

Pb is for lead. Plumber literally means a worker of lead, and that is what I am.

When I said oxidizing I meant when the paint goes dull after losing its shine.

Can you please let me know where you found information about this? I have a Chinook 30.2 and I am curious about this remark.

The factory paint on the stove is not glossy. The area above the cat "might" dull down a little after a couple of years, but not necessarily. Part of what dulls down the finish can just be dust. FWIW, this can happen with almost any stove unless it is enameled the core stove body is jacketed.

Reactions: kennyp2339
Given the double layer (convection jacket) on the top, I doubt the visible pieces would discolor at all.

We use a German paint that absolutely is superior in less color fade (even above the cat) and also has less off gassing.

The paint evaluation was years in the making.....

Both stoves are painted black so this paint fade question is not a mark in favor of either option.

I've used Rutland Stove Polish for cast iron. Works great. Just wipe on. Looks good.
Stove polish only lasts a short while before it looks dull again. It is also a bear to remove if one wants to paint the stove for a longer lasting finish. For these reasons I like Stove Brite metallic black on cast iron stoves.

Sorry to cause a paint storm! My remark was not founded on any research or direct knowledge about BK paint quality. It was based on my own observations of wood stoves in general. My current wood stove is dull, I assume all wood stoves turn that way after a few years, and I expect my F3500 will do the same.

Sorry to cause a paint storm! My remark was not founded on any research or direct knowledge about BK paint quality. It was based on my own observations of wood stoves in general. My current wood stove is dull, I assume all wood stoves turn that way after a few years, and I expect my F3500 will do the same.
It will yes

Sure hope this is okay to compare them and I could not find the Chinock 30,2 only the 30 which I think might be the newest one but am not sure...Good luck on your stove choice...old mrs clancey

Last edited: