Regency Hampton HI300 flue baffle removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hovik

Sep 29, 2018
Winchester, Mass
Hello,
First post here. I have a Regency Hampton HI300 wood insert. The previous owner of my home had it installed, so I don't have a ton of history with it. My chimey has clay liners (3), and the center liner has a flexible steel pipe in it which is connected to the insert below. I cleaned the steel pipe with a drill attached kit that looks like a grass trimmer on steroids, that went well and has been keeping my chimney pretty clean. One challenge though is that I clean it from the roof and run it down the chimney, when I do, all the creosote and soot lands on the stone flue baffles in my insert, and they are nearly impossible to clean the soot off of. I've read the manual and it seems to suggest that these stones should just slide out through the front of the insert at an angle. I've tried everything and mine most definitely do not. I'm wondering, does anyone else have the same issue with this insert? Any suggestions would be welcome. I've used sticks and stuff to pull the piles over the edge but it's not ideal and it sure seems there should be a better way.

Manual can be found here (see pg 22):
https://assets.regency-fire.com/get...7-9b24-7f875e9c1f05/HI300-English-Manual.aspx

Thanks in advance.

Hovik

You may have to remove the front air tube.
To do this, you will need a pair of vise-grips & a hammer.
Position the vise grips on the front tube, about 3" from the
left wall of the firebox & clamp them securely.
Tap them to the left with the hammer, until the right side of
the tube releases from the right wall. Now you can remove it from the left side.
Pull the baffles out one at a time.
Installation will be the reverse of removal.
Place the baffles in position per your manual.
Align the slot in the air tube with tab in the hole in the side of the firebox.
The vise grips will be placed near the right end of the air tube & the hammer
will drive them to the right, seating the tube.
Hope this helps...

I simply tip mine up left to left right to right and the creosote falls through the two inch opening​

I simply tip mine up left to left right to right and the creosote falls through the two inch opening​
That can work ok but i like to flip the baffles over every year it seems to extend their life

My previous regency I 2400 had what I believe were fiber board baffles. they looked good as new nine years later. my new ci 1250 Came with heavy ceramic boards which were cracked on arrival. concerned about the future life

My previous regency I 2400 had what I believe were fiber board baffles. they looked good as new nine years later. my new ci 1250 Came with heavy ceramic boards which were cracked on arrival. concerned about the future life
Really the only problem i have seen with the ceramic ones is warping. They hold up pretty well as long as they stay flat. And if they dont they are covered by warranty. Did you get the cracked ones replaced?

They did use vermiculite boards for a little bit they were my favorite

Yes they were packed poorly from the manufacturer and had both lips chipped off. they sent a new pair out I will hid into the damaged set though

Yes they were packed poorly from the manufacturer and had both lips chipped off. they sent a new pair out I will hid into the damaged set though
Yeah i have had ones that came in like that as well i wish they packed them better.

I just cleaned mine, i remove them before i sweep so i dont accidentally hit them.
Just move 1 of them up to the side a little and tip the other up from the back and out, real easy.

I have the HI300 insert. The baffles are removable without taking out any of the secondary air tubes. You have to turn them 90 degrees and then they can be tilted and taken out through the front of the stove.

I just did mine. It's a newer model. I think I tried the 90 degree thing, but it didn't work. What did work was loosening up the two screws holding on the stainless smoke baffle and removing it. That provided enough room to remove the baffles like the manual said. Again, the newer models have that removable baffle.

Thanks everyone. I ended up removing the front tube with vice grips as recommended by @DAKSY. That worked swell, and I've relied on that method ever since. I think my baffles are vermiculite, but I'm not sure. It's a really light weight, airy material that resembles stone but is very powdery. They seem delicate but I have not yet broken them and they haven't warped though they appear to be original (knock on wood). Thanks everyone for your help.

Reactions: DAKSY