Removing rust - how far to go?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

McBurn

May 7, 2017
Australia
Hey Hearth forum

I'm doing up an old Jotul F3TD and it's rusty inside in 2 ways:

1. Surface rust on baffle, internal side plates, ect. I've read you can soak these removable parts in white vinegar overnight and the rust comes off with wire brushes really easily. I'm keen to remove rust but don't want to damage it, is this OK to do?

2. There is slightly deeper pitted rust on the base plate, which I'm considering removing via an orbital sander. Again, is this sensible or is it better left alone?

Thanks for the advice

I'd leave it alone. You could wire brush it then spray or brush on cooking or mineral oil, but there's no need if you are ready to put it into service for your winter.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
If it was external rust I would say do the best job you can removing it and then paint it oil it whatever you choose to do. But since it's interior rust i'd say just scrape off the large pieces, if applicable, and then leave it alone because the rust may come and go with the moisture content of the wood.