replace door gasket englander 28-3500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kieth4548

Dec 28, 2007
Sardinia, OH
I need to replace my door & ash pan gaskets. The instructions say to close the doors for 24 hours to let the glue harden. I got the glue & rope from england. I once read on another brand that you can let it sit or build a hot fire and the heat will cure the glue. Can anyone give me some though on this.

Thanks
Kieth

I have a tube of Rutland in front of me. I have been using Rutland for around 19 years. the tube says you can set your gasket...wait one hour and fire right away. The actual cure time is 24 hours but the gasket cement is ready to go in one hour. I have done that and it works. Check www.rutland.com

whats the best way to remove the gaskets & glue? The tub of glue that I got came from my stove manufacture and the tube says dry to the touch in 30 minutes and fully cured in 24 hrs. I may need to call them.

Thanks
Kieth

Usually I just use an old screwdriver and loosen the gasket. Sometimes a little hammer persuasion is required but once the gasket starts coming free it usually pulls out. The old cement does take the chiseling and it shatters in every direction, so goggles would not be a bad choice, but is not that difficult. I use a drill with a wire brush to finish clean the channel because there will be rust in it. It's also best to use rubber gloves or old gloves because that cement like to stick to whatever it comes in contact with. A wet rag is handy to have at hand when you start too.
The Rutland is usually dry in about 30 minutes. The trick though is to not be overly generous when applying the cement. Rutland says to dampen the surface of the metal to be cemented and to use as little as necessary in the gasket channel. Press the gasket in to the channel and trim the excess then shut the door to "set" the gasket. Open the door and remove any excess cement right away with the wet rag. Let it set for an hour and use right away.

Chuck a small wire wheel into your drill and you will have that gasket channel squeaky clean in two minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.