Replacing an old Jotul cat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rayfield

Nov 15, 2018
Westerly
Inherited a Jotul Firelight 12 when I moved into this house in southwestern Rhode Island a year and a half ago, but after some discussion with the kind and knowledgeable folks here (https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/new-to-me-firelight-issues.180920/), I've realized it's essentially giving up the ghost, so I'm in the market for a new one.

It's a small house, 1000 sq ft, and fairly well insulated for its age (asbestos siding!) with a minimal second floor with two small bedrooms I'd like to keep heated. It doesn't often get below 10 degrees F here at its coldest -- typically I'd say 12-15 degrees overnight in the dead of winter.

Folks on the original thread have suggested Osburn, Regency, and Drolet -- and pre-2020 Jotul. I have to say especially with the Costco deal on the Drolet Eastwood 1800, that seems pretty tempting; I wouldn't mind not having to fuss with a catalytic, and it seems plenty efficient, but there are lots to choose from, and I am definitely ok with taking advantage of off-season prices -- and non dead-set against another cat if it's a bargain. Installation (and removal of the old Jotul) are critical, and working with a good dealer in the region would be a plus.

Do you want a plain looking steel stove? Or something that is aesthetically pleasing?
The ones you mentioned aren’t anywhere near as good looking as the firelight.

Have you ever pulled the fire back? Which is something that should be done a few times a season if it’s being worked. Under non @Ashful circumstances, this stove works pretty well typically. 1,000 sq ft shouldn’t work this stove anywhere near it’s breaking point. I love a new stove! If that’s what you want I’m all for it!

How long do you expect the stove to run between reloads? This will definately impact your stove selection.

just to add to the list maybe look at woodstock and blaze king stoves. After you look at all of them maybe post some questions from the ones you like so we can tell you the differences.

Reactions: moresnow
Do you want a plain looking steel stove? Or something that is aesthetically pleasing?
Really? How are any of them not as good as a firelight? Aesthetics are about the only thing I can think of

You raise a great question. In fact, I am generally very picky (a snob even) about how stuff looks here. To me, the stove is basically a frame for a fire, & from that viewpoint, I'd say the Jotul looks a little better than say, the Drolet -- partly because this house was probably built before 1930, and the I dunno cathedral-window look of the Jotul suits the place. On the whole, I tend to think it's going to be hard for any big black box to look great in my living room; if I could find a good enameled blue stove that didn't come with a super premium price, I'd be open to that. But I'm definitely looking forward to visiting showrooms.

Something else I'm up against:

IMG_20200407_072218.resized.jpg

Never much cared for the cement rock base/back shield, but since it came with, figured I could put up with it. Probably should get rid of it and replace it with something I actually like -- but what will that set me back?

just to add to the list maybe look at woodstock and blaze king stoves. After you look at all of them maybe post some questions from the ones you like so we can tell you the differences.
Wow, Woodstock are great looking, not exorbitant either

Um, never heard of it, couldn't find it either -- please explain!!
To access the cat. I described it pretty well above. That’s most likely all it needs, they get plugged up with ash.

To access the cat. I described it pretty well above. That’s most likely all it needs, they get plugged up with ash.
He tried, but couldn’t get the bolt holding the inner fireback to budge. Sometimes you need a torch to get that bolt turning.

There was an earlier thread to discuss the salvaging of the F12, but the OP indicated he wanted something he could burn reliably 24/7. In my opinion, the Firelight 12 is a fantastic looking stove, and could satisfy a weekend burner just fine, but it’s simply not worth maintaining them for 24/7 use. Have you seen Jotul’s recent pricing on the refractory components for this stove? They’ve more than doubled the cost of most parts in the last five years, and more than tripled since the stove went out of production. Many parts are no longer available. And at least when I owned them, no one other than those garbage diesel foil cats from Condar was making a cat without interam gasket that would expand and break the delicate refractory cat chamber. These factors, combined with a marginal design from the start, really makes this a very expensive and frustrating stove to maintain for the sort of wear-and-tear any stove has to withstand for 24/7 burning.

He tried, but couldn’t get the bolt holding the inner fireback to budge. Sometimes you need a torch to get that bolt turning.

There was an earlier thread to discuss the salvaging of the F12, but the OP indicated he wanted something he could burn reliably 24/7. In my opinion, the Firelight 12 is a fantastic looking stove, and could satisfy a weekend burner just fine, but it’s simply not worth maintaining them for 24/7 use. Have you seen Jotul’s recent pricing on the refractory components for this stove? They’ve more than doubled the cost of most parts in the last five years, and more than tripled since the stove went out of production. Many parts are no longer available. And at least when I owned them, no one other than those garbage diesel foil cats from Condar was making a cat without interam gasket that would expand and break the delicate refractory cat chamber. These factors, combined with a marginal design from the start, really makes this a very expensive and frustrating stove to maintain for the sort of wear-and-tear any stove has to withstand for 24/7 burning.
I failed to notice there 2 separate threads on this stove.
I agree it’s fragile and poorly designed, I’d at least get the back off to assess it. If it’s all fell apart then it’s definitely time to go shopping.

I'll lock down the old thread. It's confusing and repetitive to be answering to two threads on the same topic.

The Costco Escape 1800 is a smoking good deal if you are looking for easy heat. If still going for aesthetics on a budget, the choices are going to be more limited. Have you looked at this stove? It's a Firelight CB, an early F600. Looks like it might go for $750 at this time of year. Worth asking.

Last edited:
I'll lock down the old thread. It's confusing and repetitive to be answering to two threads on the same topic.

The Costco Escape 1800 is a smoking good deal if you are looking for easy heat. If still going for aesthetics on a budget, the choices are going to be more limited. Have you looked at this stove? It's a Firelight CB, an early F600. Looks like it might go for $750 at this time of year. Worth asking.
It doesn’t share any of the combustion parts with the #12. That’s a good buy if it’s intact and not abused.

Yes, the F600 CB is a non-cat. If the base and body show no cracks this could be a nice replacement, and it's blue.

Reactions: charger4406
Old thread was about the failing F12. This one was supposed to be called something like “help me find a new stove,” but I think my suggestion was misunderstood.

if I could find a good enameled blue stove that didn't come with a super premium price....Never much cared for the cement rock base/back shield, but since it came with, figured I could put up with it.
Wow, Woodstock are great looking, not exorbitant either
What Woodstock is good-looking?? ;lol
You better know what you're looking at, if you are looking at used stoves; Easy to miss overfire damage, if you're not experienced.
Why not just put a T4 in there? Simple, effective, and a looker like you want. >>
T4 won't burn super-long, but probably go overnight in a small, insulated house..The T5 comes in a maroon red, darker than what they show on the website; That would draw your eye away from the rocks. ;) Might be a bit big for that sq.ft. though..

You raise a great question. In fact, I am generally very picky (a snob even) about how stuff looks here. To me, the stove is basically a frame for a fire, & from that viewpoint, I'd say the Jotul looks a little better than say, the Drolet -- partly because this house was probably built before 1930, and the I dunno cathedral-window look of the Jotul suits the place. On the whole, I tend to think it's going to be hard for any big black box to look great in my living room; if I could find a good enameled blue stove that didn't come with a super premium price, I'd be open to that. But I'm definitely looking forward to visiting showrooms.

Something else I'm up against:

View attachment 259094

Never much cared for the cement rock base/back shield, but since it came with, figured I could put up with it. Probably should get rid of it and replace it with something I actually like -- but what will that set me back?

That mortar and cobble hearth would be a no go for me. What are the odds of four feet finding level spots while being under the flue? I would pour concrete over the cobbles until it’s level.

I agree that round river rock is about the worst type of stone for this, but there are lots of less than perfectly level natural stone hearths out there, Highbeam. In fact, I currently own a few of them. My stoves have leveling jack screws under each foot, which I suspect could even deal with that river rock. If not, a small dollop of mortar under each foot location, leveled and cured prior to install, could get the job done.

A89B3414-346E-4715-B601-8008A7929A56.jpeg F1A65557-71BC-4120-B121-9B6A091DAAE7.jpeg

Actually, that second photo was probably a poor choice, it was just the first one I found on my phone. The photo is crooked, the stove is plumb.

Last edited: