Replacing an older "larger" Jotul from the late 90's with a BK?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
You can leave it low for the majority of the time.
But there are caveats.
All that can be found in the manual which can be found here:

The bottomline is that it's necessary to run the stove high for a bit (up to half an hour) until the wood is all charred. Then one dials the (thermostatically controlled) air down. But one should do that in steps.
You do have to figure out what the lowest setting is that the stove can still sustain a burn in your system (house, chimney). One can set it too low, meaning not enough air comes in to sustain the production of smoke/gases for the cat toburn, leading to the cat to fall below its active temperature.
Also, if you dial the air down too fast, one can choke a cat.

It'll be a bit of a learning curve - more than "throw wood, dial down, walk away". But once you have a feel for the stove, it's fantastic.
thank you for this. I'll be reading the manual shortly you attached.
I do know it took me a little bit to get our Jotul dialed in (how we liked to use it).
So I can accept no matter which stove we select, there will be a learning curve for sure.
thakn you

Reactions: stoveliker
Sold out? The dealer can order one if you ask.

BKVP

I did specifically ask the dealer when I started this search if there were any backorders or delays. For all the stoves I'm speaking of, he called BK and they stated all are available with no issues.
He has a Boxer on the floor / showroom he'd give me a deal on as well as an Ashford....
we dont' particularly care for the appearance of the Ashford......and we love the boxer, but it's too small we think

If you like the Boxer, a Chinook might also suit your (wife's) aesthetic preferences.

that makes 100% sense....as a matter of fact, when i was first looking and not even knowing the sizes or anything about bk, i was drawn to it....i showed the wife...instant no....so that one is out the running
I have a Chinook30. Liked the design a lot better compared to the Ashford, looks more modern. But that's purely a taste thing, from a technical standpoint they are the same. Ok, the Chinook has that ash drawer underneath which we don't use anyway, making the "belly" a little bit smaller. Not an issue, though.

We live in central MS, so low'n'slow is our way most of the winter. I don't think I've ever had to run it on high, not even when we had 20's outside. Large, open living room space, too.
Like others have said, you can stall it if you turn it down too low, but you'll soon get an idea on where the thermostat needs to be for that. I also don't do the half-hour char on a reload, I turn it up to high with the bypass open until the fire is well established and flue temps are high enough, then close the bypass and throttle it down. Takes about 10min or so and doesn't bake us out of the house.

I'm not sure about CA, but around here you don't want to store firewood inside. There are always bugs hibernating in there, and when the wood is taken inside and warms up, so do they. So I take it directly from our pile into the stove.

The half hour charring is less important the drier the wood is.
The wetter the wood (in my range, I'd say the closer to 20% - from lower values going up...), the longer the char I "need" for the best possible operation. In my experience.
14% wood is fantastic :)

Reactions: slowandlowburn
I have a Chinook30. Liked the design a lot better compared to the Ashford, looks more modern. But that's purely a taste thing, from a technical standpoint they are the same. Ok, the Chinook has that ash drawer underneath which we don't use anyway, making the "belly" a little bit smaller. Not an issue, though.

We live in central MS, so low'n'slow is our way most of the winter. I don't think I've ever had to run it on high, not even when we had 20's outside. Large, open living room space, too.
Like others have said, you can stall it if you turn it down too low, but you'll soon get an idea on where the thermostat needs to be for that. I also don't do the half-hour char on a reload, I turn it up to high with the bypass open until the fire is well established and flue temps are high enough, then close the bypass and throttle it down. Takes about 10min or so and doesn't bake us out of the house.

I'm not sure about CA, but around here you don't want to store firewood inside. There are always bugs hibernating in there, and when the wood is taken inside and warms up, so do they. So I take it directly from our pile into the stove.
Thank you very much for the information. That's a valid point on wood storage also. We've seen a creepy crawlers from time to time, however, we've been quite fortunate thus far.

The half hour charring is less important the drier the wood is.
The wetter the wood (in my range, I'd say the closer to 20% - from lower values going up...), the longer the char I "need" for the best possible operation. In my experience.
14% wood is fantastic :)
until joining this forum and reading / learning, I had never tested my wood moisture. I ordered a moisture meter on Amazon yetserday and will now be one of the testers prior to burning.

Log length:

with my current Jotul stove basically fits anything. It has the side door as well as the front door (front door is only used when cleaning the stove)......basically never open that door.
But in regards to sideloading, it holds darn near every length of wood (okay..not a full tree...but anything I have ever purchased fits in there)

If we end up with a 30 sized box BK, does the same somewhat apply, meaning it will fit longer pieces without issue?

thank you

18" long pieces, loaded "north-south".

Reactions: bigealta
I usually "eyeball" it when cutting wood, and mostly end up somewhere in the 15-18" range.
I may end up wasting some firebox space with shorter splits, but have never perceived it as being an issue.

Hi All

Just a little update. NOT one person thought the KING was the right stove for us, including the VP of BK. Honestly, after listening to you all and reading more on this forum, I didn't think it was either. Anywho, it's what the wife wanted so I went to the store to pay my 50% deposit to get the king ordered (which also allows me to schedule an install time with their guy), but I just couldn't do it.
I called the wifey, asked for permission, and we ordered the princess.
Install coming on 6/14.
Super excited!

You won't be disappointed, just make sure your wood is dry, new stoves can't handle wet wood like your old school jotul could.

You won't be disappointed, just make sure your wood is dry, new stoves can't handle wet wood like your old school jotul could
thank you.
I had to actually view it as having a semi truck as a daily driver in downtown NY city. Just cause it's the biggest most powerful, it just doesn't work for the location.
I'm so so so excited for our new stove. Like I have a countdown and every now and then in the car or the house I say "23 days left"......

I've always had the Jotul, but now with the BK and learning a lot from this site, I now am thinking of a proper wood shed. We live on 18 acres, so we have the space to build one. I went on the show your wood shed thread earlier, and omg, I think i might have a new obsession!

I'll take pics once the new girl is in, and of course, ask lots of questions as i try to learn how to use her right.

I've already read the owners manual 4 times....yup...what a dork i know.

The wood is on pallets. The rear walls are pallets with 2 x 4 run down inside them to stack 2 high. A design with as much air flow as possible. My only wish on mine, the overhang should have been about 20".

BKVP

Reactions: HuskyMakk
how many stacks deep?

that is amazing....thanks for sharing this..would you be able to take a photo of the rear walls that you described? thanks so much
I'm in AK this week.

Reactions: slowandlowburn