Replacing jotul 350 winter port with jotul 500 oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldogmoose

Nov 21, 2013
Warwick, RI
Hey guys just getting some feedback on what you think I should do.. I currently am using a 350 winterport in my fireplace. I picked up a jotul 500 Oslo and rebuilt it. With winter coming I want to get it up and running but am unsure where to put it. I wanted to put it in my breezeway and pipe it through the wall into my garage and out the roof.
First I want to know if that would be okay to do so. If I did it that way I would be further then 10 feet away from the house therefore I would need very little piping. I can't go through the ceiling because I would need a lot of piping and because it wouldn't be right next to the house bracing it would be difficult. My other option is to take out the winterport and put the stove in the fireplace? Could I use existing piping? Would I need an additional hearth? Could I get away with using just a hearth rug while have the stove stick out a bit from the fireplace opening ? Would I need a short leg kit? Lastly if I can side existing pipe, how would I attach stove to it? Are there any other parts I would need? Here is a picture
092e1e16c015ce8c0eee85fad4db3c7b.jpg

If the Oslo is to be used in place of the Winterport first you'll need to make sure that the flue outlet is lower than the fireplace lintel so that there is clearance for the flue piping. If there is then there may be the option to put a tee on the liner with a long snout that connects to the Oslo flue outlet. The hearth looks shallow. What is the current depth? For sure this would need to be built out to accommodate the Jotul F500's depth plus 16" out in front of the door of the stove. Also, mantel clearances will need to be checked.

Previous discussion on the breezeway: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/venting-wood-stove.146316/

The Oslo body is 16.25" deep. The flue collar box extends another 11" behind that. Is the fireplace opening large enough for the F500 to fit a bit inside the fireplace opening so that just the body is on the hearth? The hearth would still need an extension. A hearth rug is insufficient protection IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.