45cheese Posted By 45cheese, May 13, 2017 at 8:44 PM

1. BKVP

BKVP
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 10, 2011
    Loc:
    Walla Walla Washington
    If you have a larger firebox, a layer of coals is fine, and helpful. However, if you have a smaller firebox, it can limit how much fuel you can fit into the stove on reloads.

This tends to happen when you have very cold temps, push the stove harder to a higher burn rate and lastly, because that's a burning characteristic of hardwood fuels.

2. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
    A thin bed of coals is fine but if you are running a stove hard you will get too many coals, not enough heat output (coals burn colder), and no room for more fuel. Happens with softwood too! Here's my NC30 in a high coal situation burning doug fir. I run my non-cat at high output all the time so I've been down this road! Some people have even had to shovel out the red coals to make room for fresh fuel. Note that if your stove is loafing along at lower settings and/or you don't need high output you can wait for the coals to reduce naturally before reloading and this isn't a problem.

Attached Files:

3. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
  4. 45cheese

45cheese
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 16, 2016
    Loc:
    Wisconsin
    I checked out a few stoves today. I am now considering a Lopi Liberty or a Pacific Energy summit. The summit is about a 1000 cheaper. They both seem like really well made stoves. I don't think I could go wrong with either.

5. sen166

sen166
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Michigan
    Have you considered keeping your Fisher (a proven, solid heater with absolutely zero maintenance needed) and just simply adding a baffle to it as detailed and outlined in Coaly's post in the Fisher Forum? Just a thought....

6. 45cheese

45cheese
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 16, 2016
    Loc:
    Wisconsin
    I did. I have cut the top off and added a much bigger baffle. I had intentions of adding secondary burn tubes but hasn't happened yet with work and the cold weather and all. I probably will still do it as I don't plan on selling the old Fisher. I posted a thread a while back about it. I'll see if I can dig it up.