Ridiculously high firewood price

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
But the propane appliance loads itself, and storage doesn't take 1/4 acre of your property, or trips outside in the snow.

Boutique wood? I guess it's been awhile since this old gem was re-posted. Perhaps some of the newer folks haven't seen it, yet.

Ahh yes, a classic. I usually post this at the beginning of every season myself! Perfection.

I'm 38 and we can defintely say young people. I don't have much in common with a 24 year old!

I have a bunch of friends my age with wood stoves nearby but I'm the only one who uses it for primary heat. They all use it regularly but more ror fun/supplemental.
Yeah that’s how it is for me as well. I have a few friends with stoves that work day jobs. They only use the stove at night. My wife has always stayed home with the kids, so she tends the stove during the day. It saves up a bunch of money on the heating bill.

The thing about firewood for me is I enjoy processing it. I like going out in the woods with the tractor, hauling it back to split and stack.
Even when I wasn’t living up north for a few years I came up to the property on vacation to cut wood for family. My wife would be pretty mad. Cutting firewood is not her idea of a vacation. Lol.

I think people are getting increasingly lazy. I want to say “young people”, but I’m only 37. Haha.

But seriously, none of my friends heat with wood. I don’t personally know anyone my age that heats primarily with wood.

My neighbor is 70, his primary heating source is firewood. he splits all his firewood with a splitting maul to this day.

Reactions: bigealta and DonTee
My neighbor is 70, his primary heating source is firewood. he splits all his firewood with a splitting maul to this day.
One of my dads neighbors is in his 80’s and still cuts firewood for his primary winter heating. Everything from felling the trees to splitting and stacking it.
I think he uses a hyd splitter these days, but it’s still a lot of work. Honestly I think staying active like that keeps you looking/feeling younger. I would have sworn this guy was 20 years younger just by how much he does.

My dad is 78 and does the same. And cycles 10 miles each day. And does his bees. And his garden.

Indeed, keep doing it and you can keep doing it.

Also, I think it helps if you can retire gradually. Not full time work to full time retirement, but slowly decreasing the amount of paid work. That makes it easier to pick up other things to do and stay active; sudden large changes are often disruptive and can result in problems finding your way once you're older than 65 ish.

Is my philosophy based on what I've seen, not experienced myself. Everyone will be different tho.

The prices that started the thread match what I just paid for in Vancouver BC. Ugh. I need to find a better way to get wood next year. I actually just signed onto the forum for the first time in a couple months to try to find tips on sourcing wood when one lives in the middle of a city. I don’t imagine I can do much better, though. I’m in a townhouse, so it’s not like I can store and season wood.

I think this is the most expensive firewood I have ever seen:

PXL_20220721_022711465.jpg

Reactions: FTG-05
Reactions: Stelcom66
Dam think I will start selling fire wood 1 cu. ft. at a time
That's over 2000 $ a cord

Holy cow. That includes the crate, I presume. That's one d*m expensive crate.

Didn't ask if that came with the crate or not, we had our own with us.

In all fairness this was at the Northern Rockies Lodge on the Alaska Highway at Muncho Lake, British Columbia. It's 2.5 hrs in either direction to the next town. Supper was $64/plate, diesel $2.49/liter, a campsite with power was $60/night. Everything there was expensive. But it's a hub for fly-in fishing enthusiasts.

We stayed at the government campsite 500meters away for $20/night, and had our own food and fuel.

It's an absolutely beautiful place though:

Muncho Lake-1.jpg

I contacted a relative in Norway a while back. This was in 2018. I think for Oslo anyway the conversion was around $650/cord. In one of the more heavily forested countries.

1.jpg 2.jpg

Wood for sale at campgrounds is always going to be a premium vs the per cord price for wood stoves. Like buying snacks in single servings at the gas station instead of a 5 lb tub from Costco. You're paying for convenience.

In many places it's illegal to bring firewood from elsewhere because it might carry pests or pathogens. In my area there's a pathogen that's been decimating some species of oaks. I don't give that wood away so that I won't be spreading the pathogen.

But the propane appliance loads itself, and storage doesn't take 1/4 acre of your property, or trips outside in the snow.

Boutique wood? I guess it's been awhile since this old gem was re-posted. Perhaps some of the newer folks haven't seen it, yet.

that's the first time i have seen that. all i can say is where is my shotgun? i think i'm going to shoot myself.

Last edited: