Rusted/Frozen hinge pins on Vogelzang door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Valleyman

Feb 24, 2014
Connecticut
Hi
I have a Vogelzang barrel stove kit door that I put on my homemade maple syrup evaporator which has served me well for 4 years of non mantainance. Well it's payback time for the neglect.

I snapped off a hinge pin on my 1st boil yesterday and managed to get thru but I know the 2nd pin is going to go too.

Once I remove the old / broken off pin(s) I was planning on using an ordinary bolt to act as the hinge pin but I'm looking for thoughts and suggestions on maybe something better to use.

(As an after thought I havent tried a stove store for an actual replacement hinge. )

Thanks

Once I remove the old / broken off pin(s) I was planning on using an ordinary bolt to act as the hinge pin but I'm looking for thoughts and suggestions on maybe something better to use.

I might suggest something that can take that level of heat- stainless steel maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.