Saving wood with warm temps?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
;lol Wow, looks like you have a challenge with your spouse, interesting that a medical professional would be so wrong on solar. Sad to see how people seem to get such wrong information unless they are using it to reflect other concerns they do not want to bring up. Sunlight is radiation from the sun, the panels are just intercepting a portion of the sun and converting it to useful AC power, the same AC power that is running through the walls of the house and in the power lines running in every public building and through the neighborhood. The power electronics in the device that converts the power from the panel to AC is not much different than a power supply in TV or laptop. If there is RF generated by the electronics, its diminishes rapidly with distance. A cell phone on the other hand is a known source of RF with far more output power right next to the body, so unless cell phones are banned in the home that is a far bigger risk. Highly likely your utility has a RF transmitter in your power meter so they can read it remotely and of course if you have wifi in the house, you are pumping the house full of RF.

Not sure where the fire chief is getting his outdated info, for several years all solar panels mounted on a roof are required to have rapid shutdown electronics per NEC, effectively if the power is turned off to the house the panels cannot put out more than 50 volts outside of the panel frame. Most panel put out zero volts but the 50 volt threshold is used as that is not enough to hurt someone. Roof ventilation usually occurs at the ridgepole and so either side works just as well. Sadly a lot of smaller especially volunteer departments just do not train their folks very well with respect to solar. I got a free training program available on the web and supplied it to the local fire chief when I installed mine 20 plus years ago and they include it in their training rotation. The biggest risk with Rapid shut down panels is some fireman damaging them dragging equipment across the roof. Yes in very rare occasions panels have ignited, due to damage from animals or defective components. That is true of any electrical component, you have for more risk with a wood stove than panels on the roof.

Fire code requires access "lanes" both above the panels and beside them for fire dept access. Most homes have a back roof facing away from the sun and most fire departments access the roof from the side without the panels and usually waive the requirement.

Your concern about roof replacement is valid, do not install panels on an old roof. Most roofs are now 30 years guarantee. And if you roof is marginal most tax advisors will interpret IRS guidance that the replacement of the roof on the side the panels are located can be included in the installation cost of the panels which qualify for a 30% federal tax credit (not deduction). Aesthetics are subjective, panels can be made less obvious by the use of black frames but it all comes down to they look "different", your spouses ugly panels on the roof are offset by zero power bills every month for as long as you live at the house. Put the money you were paying for power into the kids college fund and it will add up. If you are still living there in 30 years, the panels are long since paid for, but still cranking out power, and anyone stripping the roof can take them down in about an hour or so. There are valuable materials in the panels and panel recycling is slowly starting to be put in place although most are being grabbed for reuse.

If the power is not coming through the panels is coming from the street. Meanwhile looks like you have natural gas running to the house which implies a gas stove?. Definitely a high health risk than panels on a roof.

The reality in Mass is if you do not have solar, you are paying for your neighbor to install it via your monthly power bill. Its likely you are looking at an 8% per year increase on your power bill for the transmission portion of the bill to pay for all the incentives.
Oh my God I could kiss you, peak! 🤣. I was mentally preparing to type all that out and was relieved to read your post. 100% agree on everything. Also its not just a few bucks I'm saving. 11,800 kWh x $0.24 = $2,832 a year and in reality it's more than that with the peak season price increases not to mention the SMRT credits.

RE looks - My wife was concerned about the looks at first too but she is fully on board now. I think they look sharp. They are jet black with no real discernable features. I don't like how the older styles look with the brighter lines and criss cross patterns but I think there are a lot of options now.

RE roofing - Our roof is was about 7 years old when we had them installed but upon inspection it was all in great shape so we went ahead. They also quoted me a very reasonable price to remove/reinstall if I ever needed a roof replacement. I wasn't going to miss out on all the savings for fear of needing to spend $1500 down the road. Also, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, I expect the panels to extend the life of my roof. They are taking the brunt of the rain and snow off the shingles themselves.

PXL_20221219_172348211.jpg

Reactions: stoveliker
Fire code requires access "lanes" both above the panels and beside them for fire dept access. Most homes have a back roof facing away from the sun and most fire departments access the roof from the side without the panels and usually waive the requirement.
Just spoke to my buddy (large FD) and there is no fire code in Mass with solar just the electrical code. He is very up to date with his knowledge since this is not a small volunteer department.

Problem that my buddy said all houses are different and the best way to vent a house is through the roof. Cant be done with panels. Would have to vent from gable end and not ideal cause you’re directing the fire. Also said every lot is different for access. Also gen 1 poses a greater risk since no way of knowing if they gen 2 panels. They always assume gen one on a call. Seen many fires due to faulty installation and shorts caused by animals over the years.

He said no way he would put solar on his house. I’d rather listen to him than the high pressure solar sales people that are always knocking on our door.

Also as another poster said he paid $1,000 for a damaged panel. Just another concern.

Great they work for you but having a house without electric utilities does not makes sense for us.

Last edited:
My panels are on two sides of a ridge. Code here said to leave a certain width up at the ridge free so that a venting slit could be cut by the fd, if needed. As well as access lanes up towards the ridge.

I'd be interested to know the percentage of homeowners with panels that got fires from the panels - versus the percentage of homeowners with a stove that got related fires.

I am pretty sure the stove owners have a far far higher risk.

My panels are on two sides of a ridge. Code here said to leave a certain width up at the ridge free so that a venting slit could be cut by the fd, if needed. As well as access lanes up towards the ridge.

I'd be interested to know the percentage of homeowners with panels that got fires from the panels - versus the percentage of homeowners with a stove that got related fires.

I am pretty sure the stove owners have a far far higher risk.
Could be but don’t need another thing that could go wrong for a small benefit in our situation.

He knows I have a stove and the chimney fires he has seen over the years were due to improper maintenance (chimney sweeping) causing creosote buildup.

If solar was for everyone then the product should sell itself rather than employ high pressure sales people. It’s a lucrative business.

Not needing another thing is fair enough.

Solar surely is lucrative for some - including me. In a year and a half I will have about saved in electric what I paid for them thanks to the generous help of my fellow tax payers. They are 4.5 years old now. And have at least 20 yrs to go of pure lucrativity.

Could be but don’t need another thing that could go wrong for a small benefit in our situation.

He knows I have a stove and the chimney fires he has seen over the years were due to improper maintenance (chimney sweeping) causing creosote buildup.

If solar was for everyone then the product should sell itself rather than employ high pressure sales people. It’s a lucrative business.

I live in Nassau county NY a few miles from the NYC border. I'd say 1 in 10 houses in the county of have solar on them (population of almost 1.5 million) and I have never known of a house to go on fire because of solar panels so I have to call BS on the fire issue, and the high pressure salesman are only with the big national companies, the local guys which do the majority of the jobs don't have high pressure salesman. In the last 10 years solar has become extremely common and does sell itself and all the issues you brought up don't really exist anymore.

I live in Nassau county NY a few miles from the NYC border. I'd say 1 in 10 houses in the county of have solar on them (population of almost 1.5 million) and I have never known of a house to go on fire because of solar panels so I have to call BS on the fire issue, and the high pressure salesman are only with the big national companies, the local guys which do the majority of the jobs don't have high pressure salesman. In the last 10 years solar has become extremely common and does sell itself and all the issues you brought up don't really exist anymore.
You must work in the industry 😂. Again I’d rather listen to a city Deputy Fire Chief who is close to the issue than somebody saying they never heard of a fire involving a solar panel install. Just like many people have never heard of a chimney fire but they exist.

Also no high pressure sales people? Really, I had the same guy knock on my front door twice the other day.

If the product sells itself than no need to have people bothering folks at home trying to sell it. Period. If it was for everyone my entire subdivision should have one.

You must work in the industry 😂. Again I’d rather listen to a city Deputy Fire Chief who is close to the issue than somebody saying they never heard of a fire involving a solar panel install. Just like many people have never heard of a chimney fire but they exist.

Also no high pressure sales people? Really, I had the same guy knock on my front door twice the other day.

If the product sells itself than no need to have people bothering folks at home trying to sell it. Period. If it was for everyone my entire subdivision should have one.

I don't work in the industry, just countering the misconceptions you are putting out.

I don't work in the industry, just countering the misconceptions you are putting out.
Actually you never countered any of them. But glad they work for you.

When I see misconceptions like that I have to post in case someone gets the idea that it might be true. Solar panels are only mounted on one side of the roof unless someone get ripped off by solar peddler. For the vast majority of conventional house styles the attic can be vented on either side of the ridge pole.

It is obvious the poster does not want solar so he can move on but just be aware what he is trying sell is regarded as BS. I am Mass Professional Engineer who was in the renewable/efficiency field getting paid a lot of money by Eversource from rate payer bills to install combined heat and power industrial efficiency projects in Mass (Erving, Groton Leominster, Lowell and two projects in Worcester) until recently. I can say professionally that I would have no problem putting my signature on a solar install if its done right.

The problem is the news blows things out of proportion and use rare incidents to justify wrong conclusions. So get out the tinfoil, make a nice looking hat and go back to whatever world lines up with the warped logic.

One correction; for North -South ridgelines it is perfectly fine (not a rip off) to have panels on both sides of the roof.

More importantly, the signature remark above does involve a liability issue - making that remark more significant.

Reactions: kborndale
I think solar does sell itself. The high pressure salesmen aren't trying to sell you the product, you should already want it on your own, they knocking on your door because they want to be the ones doing the installation versus you just going online and picking someone.

In my opinion if you use 500+ kWh of electricity a month, your roof or property is suitable for solar, you plan to stay long term there are very few reasons not to have it. The system can be sized to your needs and it will pay itself off well before the end of it's life. I'd rather generate my own power than buy it from a fossil fuel power plant + pay all the associated fees.

Just my 2 cents as a happy solar owner.

One correction; for North -South ridgelines it is perfectly fine (not a rip off) to have panels on both sides of the roof.

More importantly, the signature remark above does involve a liability issue - making that remark more significant.
Or a situation like mine with a very low slope roof. My house faces due south and I have panels on both sides. I have 32 panels and looking back over the last 2 years the north facing panels produce about 75% of the power of the south facing panels. That's enough production to warrant both sides whereas a more traditionally sloped roof may only see 40% on the north side making it a waste.

With respect to panels on an east and west exposure, I agree. NFPA has access and ridge vent clearance requirement that most states adopted. NH and many other states and juridictions waived the vertical and horizontal clearance requirements if the panels are on only one side of the roof, in this case the horizontal clearance from the ridge would not be waived as the intent is to allow a firefighter to vent the ridgepole.

11.12 Photovoltaic Systems

11.12.2.2.1.2 Pitch. Designation of ridge, hip, and valley shall not apply to roofs with 2-in-12 or less pitch.

11.12.2.2.2.2 Ridge Setback. Photovoltaic modules shall be located not less than 3 ft (914 mm) below the ridge

11.12.2.2.3.1 Access. A minimum 4 ft (1219 mm) wide clear perimeter shall be provided around the edges of the roof for buildings with a length or width of 250 ft (76.2 m) or less along either axis. A minimum 6 ft (1829 mm) wide clear perimeter shall be provided around the edges of the roof for buildings having length or width greater than 250 ft (76.2 m) along either axis.

11.12.2.2.3.3.1 Maximum Array. Arrays of photovoltaic modules shall be no greater than 150 ft (45.7 m) × 150 ft (45.7 m) in distance in either axis.

Last edited:
This winter has been very warm. I'm in Nova Scotia above Maine. Due to the warm winter I have saved a tonne of dry wood for next season. I'll definitely be in a two year cycle already. This is my second winter with my stove. I grabbed five cords already css for next winter bit still have at least four cords left from this winter. Woooooo!

Have you been able to save wood? How's your stockpile?
Ill prepared this year so been scrapping to get well seasoned wood only to find borderline seasoned. Plan on buying 5 cord this Spring and see how that lasts next winter to judge on what to do. Hoping the drying through the summer/fall will make me burn and rely on less. We'll see.

Reactions: Wildflush and Split
Iv definitely burned less.. this will probably be the least amount I have ever burned in a winter.. That being said .. im not trying to save wood, i. trying to burn as much as possible.. I may burn about 2.5 cords this winter.. kinda sucks