sawbuck in my basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osagebow

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2012
Shenandoah Valley, VA
WP_001717.jpg
....sorta.
Had a pile of slightly-long splits accruing, wanted to halve them. Took an old weight bench, couple screws removed from it to remove the plywood bench, flip 'er over and there ya go. propped low end on chopping round and filled 'er up a few times. Put some splits I didn't need cut at end for "Buffer" to stay away from metal.Splitting round also helped with that.
Brace with big rocks or circa 1988 sand-filled weights.;)
Now wife has "her" pile of smaller splits to start up a burn easier. Stove takes 26" splits, but they are unwieldy for her.

Could easily see used for poles, too. Plan to brace long ends with other wood/rocks to get height, and cut, slide, repeat.

Good old American ingenuity ;)
Only down side I see is if the saw bumps it, chain takes a beating since it's metal .

Yes - surgical precision required.;)

Yep, another MacGyver moment :)

Still not quite a sawbuck, cause it doesn't hold the wood in place.
More of a sawhorse...well, no. Maybe a saw bench...well, not really. Kind of a wood rack at saw height. Eh. Maybe not.

Well done, Osage!

Y'know....there are probably lots of these things floating around yard sales for $5. Keep us updated on how it works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.