scored some oak today.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abj1969

Hearth Supporter
Sep 17, 2007
S.Jersey
the girlfriend ran into an old coworker at target and somehow got onto the subject of firewood.. turns out this friend just cut down like 10 oak trees and said we could have it all.. so today we went and got a truck load. gonna grab the rest over the next week or so.

here is what we got today. guess i'll split it and burn it next year. still probably 4 truck loads there.

testpics001.jpg

neighbor topped a maple tree the other day and i grabbed what they didn't chip. next year wood also i guess.

testpics003.jpg

this pile has been down about two years. i have to cut and split for this winter. i still have quite a few truck loads of this i have to get from my buddies place.

testpics002.jpg

Nice find in wood. You will have quite a collection when you get it all processed. I would certainly get the wood you want to burn this fall cut and split as soon as possible so it can season a little. I'm going to start looking around for free wood as others on here have found it. Ordered 6 cord load to be delivered in the next month or so. If I like it I thiink I will get another load from the same guy when he brings this one. I already have the next couple of years wood cut and split in the woodshed. Better get on yours soon. :)

Wish I could find some oak around here- loggers and firewood dealers just don't seem to have much of it. I'm gonna love the couple cord of Hard Maple I got, though...

Great score abj. I went for a walk today and came across a blown down red oak that is probably 2 cords worth of firewood. Now I just have to get permission from the owner to clean it up for him.

Lucky you getting that Oak...nice haul.

Excellent score indeed! I landed about 5 cord of free oak last year from my mother's house (they had an addition built a couple of years ago and needed some trees cut down). I still have about 2 1/2 cord of oak for this coming season. Nothing like oak.....there's a lot of heat in it when its fully seasoned. Love the smell of it too.

Last pic with 'gray' wood looks ready to burn, did you put a moisture meter on it

I don't know how you guys do it. When I score free wood it is 24-36 inchs across and usually 60 ft off the road and the owner does not want me driving on the lawn...you guys find stuff that needs one wack to split it and its ready!!! I am envious!!!

churchie said:
Last pic with 'gray' wood looks ready to burn, did you put a moisture meter on it

no meter on it yet but it has been down for about two years. i'll cut and split it ad see what the meter says,

That Maple that your neighbor topped looks like Silver Maple; I bet if you get that split and stacked it would be ready for this Fall. It makes excellent kindling and quarter-splits to get the fire going as it ignites very easily when dry. Good score!

PA. Woodsman said:
That Maple that your neighbor topped looks like Silver Maple; I bet if you get that split and stacked it would be ready for this Fall. It makes excellent kindling and quarter-splits to get the fire going as it ignites very easily when dry. Good score!

i think thats what they said it was.. so that dries fast? thanks for the info.. i'll put that in this years pile and split it.

abj1969 said:
PA. Woodsman said:

i think thats what they said it was.. so that dries fast? thanks for the info.. i'll put that in this years pile and split it.

I've always found it to dry pretty quickly; it's considered a "soft Maple" and is okay as a fuelwood, but it burns faster and throws a little less heat than the "hard Maples" (Sugar, Rock, etc). But like I said, it ignites easily and burns with a nice flame and it was free so you can't beat that! Enjoy..

well i'm just about done getting that wood. got 4 truck loads so far and looks to be about two more loads there. i'll get a load tomorrow and see whats left maybe i'll go back for the rest of it.

firewood003.gif

a friend on my forum posted today about his father taking down a few oaks and was free for the taking so i jumped on it.(shift work is a great thing at times) met up with him at 4pm today and grabbed three truck loads. these should be fun splitting. going back sunday for the rest of it.

firewood002.gif

I hope thats not poison ivy I see there. I cut a load on Saturday that was covered in it and woke up this morning with my eyes nearly swollen shut. I got up, went to work and then headed to the doctors for a bucket shot of steroids.

Thats some good looking oak. You'll be glad you got every bit of that come Jan/Feb. It may not be the easiest to split or season but it sure does put off the heat. Godspeed splitting.

loll.. i hear ya about poison ivy. hate that stuff. get it everytime i cut my rear yard. trying to get rid of it but man its everywhere. the stuff on the logs is plain old ive. no poison stuff so i i'm good. that was the first thing i asked whe i saw it.

Status
Not open for further replies.