Seasoned wood charring, cant keep temps in house up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Does the stove work better with the big fan off? Does opening a nearby window 1/2" help?

I will try. I would think it would help. Still think the glow of the stove is off. Like the center of the fire box glow but the sides don't even though the coals are racked out. When I got to reload the put side coals are black and the center is glowing.

Before I let the stove burnout for warm temps and go up top to check the cap. Is the air intake in the same area as the thermostat. Also this picture was 5 mins after being on high or 100%. Photo looks brighter because of phone enhancing in dark light. Not beating a dead horse, just updating
Ok, use a #2 square drive and remove the cover on the thermostat. Then, flip the blade over center. This takes the thermostat out of the equation. If it still isn't rocking, the cap/pipe or combustor is plugged or fuel is the issue.

NOTE: FLIP BLADE BACK TO NORMAL POSITION AND TURN KNOB UNTIL BLADE IS COMPLETELY HORIZON. THEN, INSTALL THERMOSTAT COVER.

20240122_180114.jpg

This thermostat sits in the air intake channel.

BKVP

Watch the How It works video...good animation to help you better understand.

BKVP

Reactions: Jeff in Maine
Just to be clear you're ok with me taking this cover off as long I don't start taking things apart. And I agree I don't see how something could have gotten anything in the intake

NOTE: FLIP BLADE BACK TO NORMAL POSITION AND TURN KNOB UNTIL BLADE IS COMPLETELY HORIZON. THEN, INSTALL THERMOSTAT COVER.

BKVP

20240125_114506.jpg

Fireboss, I’m not too far from you, if you’d like, I can come and check out you’re situation and give you some pointers as to what to expect from you’re BK going foreward..
I‘ve been burning my King for 8 seasons now, so I think I could help ya ??
Or if you wanna just talk send me a pm with your number and I’ll give you a call..

Fireboss, I’m not too far from you, if you’d like, I can come and check out you’re situation and give you some pointers as to what to expect from you’re BK going foreward..
I‘ve been burning my King for 8 seasons now, so I think I could help ya ??
Or if you wanna just talk send me a pm with your number and I’ll give you a call..
That sounds like a good idea, maybe after this warm stretch is over. I want you to see it run when it gets down in the 20s again.

Sorry if it’s been mentioned in the thread and I missed it, but you don’t have an OAK hooked up do you? The stove without an OAK it would be hard to block the air intake, but with an OAK it would be easy.

I'd never burn 10 minutes with the bypass open unless the cat was below the active zone (as in start up). If the cat is in the active zone, just close the bypass as soon as the door is closed. No need otherwise. To get the fire going stronger for charring, set the Tstat higher (fully open).

A damaged bypass area would not let in more air, it might leak smoke out, meaning you'd get smoke out of the firebox that did not get thru the catalyst.

The dark box is fine; these stoves are able to run like that. In fact the majority of my burning is like that. The cat gauge seems fine too.
Stove killer said; The dark box is fine; these stoves are able to run like that. In fact the majority of my burning is like that. The cat gauge seems fine too.
I agree i have a 2015 model year Princess and when the stove is running in normal/ heat the house mode there is sometimes no noticeable flame inside Dark interior is ok. Just my 2 cents worth...

I had seen that and smiled yes.
I tend to think I'm slightly more careful than that with my stove :)

Reactions: all night moe
I updated my sigblock to at least get one misreading clear ;-)