seasoning oak, who would have thought itđź‘Ą

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Prometeo

Minister of Fire
Jan 7, 2022
IT
I noticed that leaving whole trunks creates many more openings, on the contrary, split the firewood into small pieces, when it is still green, greatly limit the openings of the wood, could it therefore be better to split after than before?

Dead standing oak seems ok to split if you leave it for a while in log form, when ever I cut green oak, I try to split it asap, it dries faster and imo makes less of a mess when splitting with the oak shavings / small cookie chunks, but to each their own.

Reactions: Prometeo
By small pieces, I mean regular pieces for the stove, say 5 x 5 inches wide or even larger. I have some large logs that I haven't split and there are many more openings on them in proportion to the pieces described above, I don't understand if it's just a coincidence, it seems that the wood is being pulled from all directions and opens much more when whole🤔

If I am understanding correctly I believe you are just simply looking at surface cracks. If so that is not doing the center of the wood any good.

that's right, superficial crack, in the photos you can see differences, were cut in the same days, usually well seasoned oak has many cracks this i read from jotul italia!
IMG_20230906_170948.jpg
IMG_20230906_171002.jpg

The outside will season faster then the inside. Actually if you leave the oak in rounds it will start to rot. This is the main reason we ask people to split a pice open and check the MC on a freshly split face.. the checking you see is not speeding the process if Im reading this correctly.

The outside will season faster then the inside. Actually if you leave the oak in rounds it will start to rot. This is the main reason we ask people to split a pice open and check the MC on a freshly split face.. the checking you see is not speeding the process if Im reading this correctly.
Thank you,
that's what I was trying to understand,
but I have to split one to see the differences with eyes,
then despite many cracks inside the MC should be higher than splitted wood
before the summer
which on the contrary has few cracks

It seems like the growth layer especially. Around here if a downed oak gets left, the bark will be intact, but the growth layer will decay pretty rapidly. Sometimes it seems easier just to knock bark and mush off when splitting--what's left will dry faster and is less messy when bringing it into the house.

The larger the piece the more likely it's going to develop cracks. Wood shrinks as it dries. Cracks form because of stress in the part. Wood dries from the outside in. With a large piece, the outside will dry and shrink while the inside which is not dry does not shrink (or does not shrink as much). This creates stress in the outside of the piece. Wood is somewhat elastic but if you stretch it too far it will crack. A large piece has more area on the outside that's shrunk and more on the inside that hasn't, so it's got more stress on the wood. Hence more cracks. I don't see many cracks on dry splits but often see cracks on logs I've stored for a few months before bucking and splitting. They're still wet inside.

Thank you,
@ericm979 in your opinion, it's better to split as soon as possible or wait until the cracks start?

Last edited:
Split as soon as possible. I don't even count the time that wood's sat in log or round form as drying, because the amount of drying that happens is so minimal. Everything that isn't within an inch or two of the outside will still be wet.

A rule of thumb is that wood dries an inch a year. That's an inch from any exposed surface. Now that will vary with conditions and the species of wood (the denser it is the slower it dries). But the idea is that wood dries from the outer surface inwards. When it's in log or round form, most of the wood is no where near the outer surface.

Split as soon as possible. I don't even count the time that wood's sat in log or round form as drying, because the amount of drying that happens is so minimal. Everything that isn't within an inch or two of the outside will still be wet.

A rule of thumb is that wood dries an inch a year. That's an inch from any exposed surface. Now that will vary with conditions and the species of wood (the denser it is the slower it dries). But the idea is that wood dries from the outer surface inwards. When it's in log or round form, most of the wood is no where near the outer surface.
excellent explanationđź‘Ť