*semi off topic* Suggest a decent snow blower?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have an Ariens 6.5Hp and it works pretty well. You might get a little bit more of the fluffy stuff than us, but perhaps you can go with a 8hp.
Good luck. (Also, part of my decision was based on that I have a Ariens repair shop about 2 miles from the house)

I have a tracked Honda and it is amazing. It will climb stairs. 7.5hp I think. Maybe 8.5, haven't looked at it since the spring.
I also have a 10hp Arlens (came with the house). It is ok but the Honda is better. The Arlens does have heated grips (nice) and an electric assist start (plug it in and push the button, no battery), but the Honda starts in one pull.

I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't like their Honda snowblower. I think you really get what you pay for.

It works amazing in that wet crap that clogs up the Arlens. Both neighbours that own Sears brand are so jealous.

Did I mention that they are bloody expensive?

I have an ariens 13 HP HUGE snowblower that was a wedding present from my grandmother. I have to say that it is a bit too big for my driveway. It only takes me 30 minutes in most storms to do about 300' of driveway. It replaced a 70's ariens that had 3.5 HP so it was quite an improvement. I would suggest an ariens in the 8HP range unless you have a huge driveway.

I would look for a big old Ariens - preferably from an equipment dealer that will give it a minimal guarantee, but that isn't essential. Toro's are OK but I don't like their controls, have never tried a Honda, but here good things about them.

Snowblowers generally get so few hours on them that it really doesn't matter how old they are, as long as you can get / make parts, which you can for almost all Ariens machines, and I've found that Ariens are built like tanks, no real benefit from purchasing new - let somebody else take the depreciation hit.

Unless your setup really needs it, my outdoor power guy strongly advises against the tracked machines, he says they are slower and have a lot more moving parts to go wrong... Stick with the Snow-hog tires, and maybe put a pair of chains on if needed.

Gooserider

I have a 29" MTD Brute with a 10 HP Snow King engine. The engine is fine but the driveline needed some work. I do my own wrenching but don't have a heated garage to work in. I added 2" wide skids to it to work on gravel. The front end was too light and I found myself lifting the handles to hold the front down but that tended to lift the wheels and lose traction. I finally got smart and bolted barbell weights to the front.

There is an easy way to turn an old dishwasher into a snowthrower, and cheap too.......just buy her a shovel. <ducking and running>

Status
Not open for further replies.