Severe Weather 2022

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I can tell you having to stop and pee outdoors at 40 below is no bueno.

1671734813447.png

kennyp2339 careful out there this weekend. WE were called back in yesterday for the same everyone on deck for friday. I'm sure it will be a long cold Christmas. I'm just glad I filed the garage back up with a few weeks worth of locust and hickory. Everyone stay safe and enjoy the holiday's​

Reactions: thewoodlands
NYC forecast is to go from 54º to 12º tomorrow. That's a neck snapper. We are the opposite as the polar cold moves eastward. We'll be going from 20 to 53 by Monday. Unfortunately, they are predicting about 7 hrs of freezing rain starting at 5am tomorrow. I may not be online for a while. The last big ice storm several years ago knocked out our neighborhood for 6 days. I hate ice storms.

It's going to get interesting for us.
It sure looks that way, hopefully we don't get the real high winds. It sounds like when we lose power we'll be without it longer than last time but I can understand that, safety first and if the winds/weather won't allow them to work, that's okay.

Stay Safe

The winds weren't bad until just about five minutes ago, they're picking up pretty good.

Reactions: heavy hammer
We're supposed to go thru a nearly 50°F drop in temperature in just the next several hours, averaging faster than 5°F/hr. I'm sure many of you are seeing the same, and there's no way that can happen without some good wind.

Makes me sad the water is so cold, we had surface ice last week, otherwise I'd have one of the little sailboats out in this!

Already 500 without power in Clifton area.
I saw that, our winds really haven't been that strong yet, maybe 40 mph gust at the most. We have received between 0.75 to 1.00 inch of rain which took all the snow off the trees.

I got the woodbox filled, the window quilts hung and the bird feeders topped off....just in time
for -20 degree wind chills.
I'm very thankful that I'm not required to 'go' anywhere until tomorrow night!

I'm between Buffalo,NY and Rochester,NY, rain changed to snow here around 8:00 AM est, temp dropped 15 degrees and wind kicked up.. here we go...

I'm between Buffalo,NY and Rochester,NY, rain changed to snow here around 8:00 AM est, temp dropped 15 degrees and wind kicked up.. here we go...
About 1:30 the snow moved in with the wind and the temperature is dropping, about 20 minutes later the scanner has all sorts of action.

Well, the good news is that so far we have not lost power. The entire region is encased in ice. Almost all mass transit, mail service, etc. have been canceled for the entire region. That includes a lot of flights.
Fortunately, the temperature is rising and hopefully, in another few hours, it will all begin to thaw.

Well, the good news is that so far we have not lost power. The entire region is encased in ice. Almost all mass transit, mail service, etc. have been canceled for the entire region. That includes a lot of flights.
Fortunately, the temperature is rising and hopefully, in another few hours, it will all begin to thaw.
We'll take the snow with wind over ice after we went through the ice storm of 98.

Power went out for my sisters in NC and NY due to very strong winds and a major temperature drop. Meanwhile, it's 51ª today. I let the fire die out. This is a 30º improvement over 2 days ago. We'll be sending it your way for New Years. Have a Merry.

Power went out for my sisters in NC and NY due to very strong winds and a major temperature drop. Meanwhile, it's 51ª today. I let the fire die out. This is a 30º improvement over 2 days ago. We'll be sending it your way for New Years. Have a Merry.
We'll take the warmer weather, the month of January is usually very cold. I'm holding back our beech for those coldest days in January and February.

Merry Christmas everyone hope the storm didn't ruin anyone's day. If without power try and stay indoors and warm. Kennyp2339, stay warm out there brother if you guys are still at it.

It was unexpected, but a king tide set records yesterday. Lots of flooding of lower area including several that have never seen flooding before. The visuals were striking. There were jellyfish swimming in the streets of downtown Olympia!

Reactions: VintageGal