Severe Weather 2022

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I just saw we might have a Nor'easter on Monday from our local news, we'll see if the forecast will change.

Reactions: woodey
FI5wlIOXwAACnXH.jpeg.jpg
It's looking like we will finally get our first decent.....(for a southerner)..... snowfall this year. I'd really like to see those purples connect lol. At this point I will be happy if this come to fruition though. Looks like it will start friday night saturday morning here. Accuweather had this dubbed as a "Sascathewan screamer" instead of a alberta clipper. Sounding like it could turn into a nor easter.

Reactions: thewoodlands
I've got a birthday party scheduled for my daughter and her hubby on Sunday...so I'm hoping we don't get hit until
late that evening or Monday:)

View attachment 289682
It's looking like we will finally get our first decent.....(for a southerner)..... snowfall this year. I'd really like to see those purples connect lol. At this point I will be happy if this come to fruition though. Looks like it will start friday night saturday morning here. Accuweather had this dubbed as a "Sascathewan screamer" instead of a alberta clipper. Sounding like it could turn into a nor easter.
It looks like parts of the south could get hit with ice.
2g-2.jpg

I'm glad we won't have to go anywhere during this. It could be 35 - 40 below with the wind chill in our area.
image1.png

• Wow
Reactions: Grizzerbear
So, they predict 12-18" of snow here (bomb cyclone) on Saturday.
That's my normal weekly grocery day - so that'll be done on Thursday (b/c on Friday the stores will be empty by folks never drinking milk and eating bread - except when bad weather is predicted...).
I'll fill up the rack in the garage with ash/maple on one side and oak on the other side on Friday.
And I'll be shoveling Saturday :)
Oh, and likely building a fort (or even igloo) with the kids, watching cars if they sled down the hill in front of us (hoping the plow won't get there early), or walking with them to a nearby hill next to a parking lot of a church.

Only pity is that I can't reach my solar panels (would need a 35' stick or so, given they are more than two stories up, and my lot slopes down from the home) to get rid of the snow. It'll be a few days of no production, unless it slides off nicely.

Fun weekend ahead!

That's my normal weekly grocery day - so that'll be done on Thursday (b/c on Friday the stores will be empty by folks never drinking milk and eating bread - except when bad weather is predicted...).
I'll fill up the rack in the garage with ash/maple on one side and oak on the other side on Friday.
Oh, and likely building a fort (or even igloo) with the kids, watching cars if they sled down the hill in front of us (hoping the plow won't get there early), or walking with them to a nearby hill next to a parking lot of a church.

Only pity is that I can't reach my solar panels (would need a 35' stick or so, given they are more than two stories up, and my lot slopes down from the home) to get rid of the snow. It'll be a few days of no production, unless it slides off nicely.

Fun weekend ahead!
I like your attitude. A good snowfall should be enjoyed...to the extent possible.

Fun weekend ahead!
Could go for a snowfall like that right about now. Been minimal snow so far. Got about 6" over that last week, and then some bitter cold.

Looks like spacebus out in Eastern Maine may get the jackpot

I like your attitude. A good snowfall should be enjoyed...to the extent possible.
My job is "with my head" - and therefore I like doing things with my body outside of my job. Snow shoveling (the old-fashioned way, with a bio-engine...) is something I actually enjoy :p💪🤷‍♂️
I get to do 3 driveways etc - single mom nurse (odd working hours, sucks if you come back and your steep driveway has a foot of snow so you can't even reach your home after your shift..) and elderly neighbors (same who get my <1ft long firewood for their small stove).

And with the kids outside (until their attitude breaks down after 3-4 hrs), it's good. And then we go to the basement, put up a few of our outdoor furniture chairs (that I store in the basement in winter) with their clothes, and we all read/play legos/listen to music near the stove. With a hot chocolate, or some other "warming drink" for me 🥃

I see that Tuesday is predicted 41, so it'll not even be long. But it's goingn to be pretty for sure. We just prepare (wood rack, groceries - nothing much more to do), and then the party starts :)

Maybe I'm crazy. But snow brings out the kid in me, I guess. That's normally hidden quite deep inside...

My job is "with my head" - and therefore I like doing things with my body outside of my job...
Maybe I'm crazy. But snow brings out the kid in me, I guess. That's normally hidden quite deep inside...
Ditto... it's about the most adventurous thing I get to do on an average Tuesday morning, living this close to civilization, and before heading to the office to sit at a desk for 9 hours. Taking a few slides down the hill with my kids, or playing referee to their sled races, isn't the worst way to spend an evening, either.

Ditto... it's about the most adventurous thing I get to do on an average Tuesday morning, living this close to civilization, and before heading to the office to sit at a desk for 9 hours. Taking a few slides down the hill with my kids, or playing referee to their sled races, isn't the worst way to spend an evening, either.
Welcome back!

Reactions: woodey and Ashful
DCT_SPECIAL49_1280x720.jpg

Looks like a pretty decent storm is predicted to come through the middle of the week. The NWS has us under a winter storm watch as of now. This says we will get 12 inches here. One of the local weather stations is calling for 16 inches and accuweather is calling for 4-8. I guess we shall see. Hard to believe it will snow and stick here when we are supposed to be nearly 60 today and tomorrow!

hd24-6.jpg

SnowMap31Jan.jpg

Ice31Jan.jpg

Accu is still saying 12-18 snow for us with rain & ice. I did get 15 gallons of diesel today with another 8 bags of pellets. Tomorrow I'll check our gas inventory for the generator.

We also put in more wood today.

It's that ice threat that would trouble me. Ice storms can do a ton of damage to trees and powerlines.

hd24-6.jpg

SnowMap31Jan.jpg

Ice31Jan.jpg

Accu is still saying 12-18 snow for us with rain & ice. I did get 15 gallons of diesel today with another 8 bags of pellets. Tomorrow I'll check our gas inventory for the generator.

We also put in more wood today.
Another big storm missing us. Could really use some snow here...

Same here @Gearhead660 , hopefully we get 8 plus inches of snow but we'll see.
Looks like we don't have much to worry about in the way of ice, and the snow we can handle. That being said, I have to run to town shortly so I might as well top off the gas containers!

Looks like we don't have much to worry about in the way of ice, and the snow we can handle. That being said, I have to run to town shortly so I might as well top off the gas containers!
If we get the rain, that will make things a mess and then the cold weather moves in again that will freeze things up.

If we get the rain, that will make things a mess and then the cold weather moves in again that will freeze things up.
Yup, milder tomorrow so I’ll have to get the power washer out and finally get some of the salt off my truck, even if it’s only for a few days.

Really don't like ice storms. Our utilities are underground in my development. But ... electricity gets to us from a major road on overhead lines on two old, wooded roads.

Thursday and Friday 39 and 43 here, Wednesday and Thursday lows around 35. Friday night 19 again. Thursday rain and Friday freezing rain. Friday night 19 F, Saturday 28 and 17. So any frozen rain will stay...

Generator still ready. Didn't use the gas in the cars yet, so will keep the jerry cans full. We'll see what happens.