Severe Weather 2022

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thursday and Friday 39 and 43 here, Wednesday and Thursday lows around 35. Friday night 19 again. Thursday rain and Friday freezing rain. Friday night 19 F, Saturday 28 and 17. So any frozen rain will stay...

Generator still ready. Didn't use the gas in the cars yet, so will keep the jerry cans full. We'll see what happens.
How much freezing rain are they predicting?

How much freezing rain are they predicting?

Not too much (for trees). Just an issue for cars. But I don't trust such forecasts; a 25 mile shift might double or halve the amount.

Screenshot_20220201-221724~2.png

I see online that in Deadhorse Alaska they have a temperature of -50 F with a wind chill of -88 F...

That's, ehm, cold...

Reactions: clancey and woodey
They are talking about it for our area also...will believe it when I see it. Been a real depressing winter here if you like the snow.

Reactions: thewoodlands
They are talking about it for our area also...will believe it when I see it. Been a real depressing winter here if you like the snow.
We haven't received the snow like we did last year but that can change in a hurry in our area. I saw today that Accu is calling for 0.71 inches of rain at the end of next week for us, usually that number drops by the time the storm hits.

Reactions: Gearhead660
Sure wish that storm would travel about 100 miles further south. As it stands now we are going to get a bunch of rain Wednesday into Thursday with some snow to finish off Thursday. Doesn't look like much snow for us as of now.

Sure wish that storm would travel about 100 miles further south. As it stands now we are going to get a bunch of rain Wednesday into Thursday with some snow to finish off Thursday. Doesn't look like much snow for us as of now.
Today Accu was saying 0.40 of rain during the day, 0.32 of ice and 1.2 inches of snow on Thursday night. If that forecast stays the same, we'll have a mess around here on Friday.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
We have about 4" on the ground today. And they say it's at least 4 more hours. Not a fast accumulation, but steady going. Wet and heavy (31 F). A low of 19 tonight, 25 high tomorrow, so I shoveled the driveway. Will see if we can avoid an icy blacktop tomorrow.

Today Accu was saying 0.40 of rain during the day, 0.32 of ice and 1.2 inches of snow on Thursday night. If that forecast stays the same, we'll have a mess around here on Friday.

Right now the local station is saying about a 1 1/2" of rain Wednesday night into Thursday morning then turning into snow with 1 to 3 inches. They did say the low pressure system is trending further south than previous model runs so that would give us more of the white stuff. Fingers crossed lol. Our ten inches last week has all melted off except in the deepest north facing hollers.

Right now the local station is saying about a 1 1/2" of rain Wednesday night into Thursday morning then turning into snow with 1 to 3 inches. They did say the low pressure system is trending further south than previous model runs so that would give us more of the white stuff. Fingers crossed lol. Our ten inches last week has all melted off except in the deepest north facing hollers.
Our forecast looks the same from my last post. We'll put the sleds away tomorrow but not for the year.....unless mother nature doesn't give us more snow,

I see this morning Accu is calling for just under an inch of rain with some ice on Thursday, things will be a mess and then the cold weather moves in which will create a bunch of ice.

@rottiman , what is your area suppose to get from the storm coming in this week?

This morning Accu has us getting 1.40 inches of rain Thursday, things will be a big mess and then the cold weather comes back so we'll have a chit load of ice.

This morning Accu has us getting 1.40 inches of rain Thursday, things will be a big mess and then the cold weather comes back so we'll have a chit load of ice.
The local station has us getting around 2 1/2" of rain Wednesday night into Thursday morning and then around 4" of snow Thursday. I'm thinking we will probably end up with some ice or sleet though by looking at the radar for that day. We shall see.

Power went out @3.37 am.
Crew onsite. Updated estimate of restoration is 4 pm.

No damage here, but man the wind was howling.

55 this morning. 43 now and dropping fast. 23 for a low tonight. Starting the stove.

Yea you people have had really bad weather (NY) and other parts of the east coast with all that wind for I have been watching the weather channel..Yesterday in (CO) we had snow but it is melting now and I am glad for I am sick of winter and want spring to come...Hope everybody stays safe and warm...clancey

Took a walk. Bunch of branches. And one street with three trees down. A maple (took out a transformer), an oak (took out a line), and a dead and punky one (surprisingly also a line). All within 300 yards.

Thanked the folks working on the lines. He said that for sure by the end of the day we'd be back online.

Screenshot_20220218-101609_Samsung Internet.jpg
This is what our local station is showing for next week as of now. I live about 50 miles northeast of Springfield. Sure hope that isn't right and that ice ends up being snow.

ClipperSnowFrSat18Feb.jpg

ClipperWinds17Feb.jpg

We'll get more snow from the above system but the wind looks like it will miss us but we'll see.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
A storm hit here around 5am, which set upon us so quickly without warning, that it actually scared me right out of bed. I was already awake, just drifting back off after waking up to take a leak ten minutes prior, and thought something had hit the house. It was just very heavy rain on the skylights in the adjacent master bath, which was followed about a minute later by the power going out, and our UPS systems beeping to let us know about it. One heck of an abrupt depression, I'd guess we got 6" of rain in as many minutes, after which all but the wind was quite again.

Very windy here today. It was an absurdly warm 55F when the storm hit this morning, but we'll be down to 20F in the next few hours. Fun stuff.

A storm hit here around 5am, which set upon us so quickly without warning, that it actually scared me right out of bed. I was already awake, just drifting back off after waking up to take a leak ten minutes prior, and thought something had hit the house. It was just very heavy rain on the skylights in the adjacent master bath, which was followed about a minute later by the power going out, and our UPS systems beeping to let us know about it. One heck of an abrupt depression, I'd guess we got 6" of rain in as many minutes, after which all but the wind was quite again.

Very windy here today. It was an absurdly warm 55F when the storm hit this morning, but we'll be down to 20F in the next few hours. Fun stuff.
I saw something on the Weather Channel this morning about a quick weather warning because of some nasty weather, they had some wind reports in NJ that hit 66, I wonder if that was the same system that hit your area.

Reactions: Ashful
In northern NH yesterday we had howling winds for a few hours in the early morning and then went from 57 degrees at 6:00 am to 35 by 7:15 am. Ended up bottoming out around 5 degrees by 9:00 pm.