Severe Weather 2022

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
After a few days of warmer temps and lovely sunshine... we're back to blowing snow
IMG_20220312_072158304.jpg

And fire in the stove! :)

Short-sleeves outdoors yesterday, rain this morning, and now near white-out conditions here. March is fun.

I do remember the blizzard of 1983, I was just in grade school, but I think we had somewhere between 24 - 30" on March 30. That's very late for us to have such a big storm, people were referring to it as an April Fools joke.

The roads were really bad this morning, town and the state roads. We already received six inches of snow so I plowed three driveways (that includes ours) help the one neighbor fix a snapped cable on their four wheeler for the plow (they just dropped off a cherry pie) the snow has stopped but they still have a warning on until later tonight.

Reactions: ispinwool
Short-sleeves outdoors yesterday, rain this morning, and now near white-out conditions here. March is fun.

I do remember the blizzard of 1983, I was just in grade school, but I think we had somewhere between 24 - 30" on March 30. That's very late for us to have such a big storm, people were referring to it as an April Fools joke.
We had our big one (local level) April 1st 1997, 26" of wet heavy cement, one of the most destructive storms in my area, I was 12yrs old, remember it so vividly, day before was Easter and we were running around in short sleeves, next day that evening the sky was blowing up from all the powerlines popping, the morning after was just chainsaws and snowplows, that storm is what actually got me thinking about power company stuff, 2 guys rolling up the street in a off road pickup pulling fuses on laterals to get the main line hot, who would have thought 10yrs later I'd be starting my career doing that.

We are on the north end of the system going across the country, this is what we woke up to. Mother nature is a day early, April fools is tomorrow...
50 degrees yesterday, snow today. Hello spring!
20220331_071701.jpg

We have a front going through today that is bringing in some cold weather. Freezing level dropping down to 300ft. this weekend with a chance of snow on Sunday. This system will be traveling eastward next week. Where it bumps into the very hot air in the south, the weather is going to get tempermental.

Severely spring here today. Sunny, few puffy white clouds, 58 F.

Seems to be going to miss us apart from rain

Screenshot_20220408-190110~2.png

Reactions: thewoodlands
Not severe but I'm pretty sure last year our first good snowfall was Dec 17.

1668387103603.png

Opening day is Nov 18th here at Crystal Mtn.
That threw me for a minute. We have a Crystal Mtn ski resort in this part of Michigan too.

Typically winter really sets in about the first week of December. Looks like we are a few weeks early this time. Snow forecast for the next 7 days at least, temps dropping to the teens by next weekend.

Winter normally doesn’t hit us until January. Temps have usually dropped by last week of December enough to start ice fishing.

I had flurries last night in northern NH. Forecast is plowable snow for Wednesday. It was 70 degrees on Saturday. The local ski areas try to get open Thanksgiving week by making a lot of snow. If they can get folks on slopes early in the winter (pre christmas) people buy ski gear for Christmas presents and in general get back in the habit of hitting the slopes more often all winter. If the snow hold off until after Christmas, the slopes have a tough time getting people out. There is also the effect that if it does not snow down in southern NH and Mass skiers will not drive north as often.

Its an expensive hobby, most folks buy new gear every few years. Ski passes, meals and gas for a family can get up between $500 and $1000 a day. If the weather pattern of recent years sticks, there will be no real snow pack until mid to late January so the snowshoes will take awhile to come out. Snowmobile season is getting shorter each year. It usually does not really crank up until the lakes and rivers freeze up thick enough to sled over and that may take until February. What does become an issue is ice on roads and in the woods so my microspikes go in the pack and my snow tires go on as they have grippier rubber.

It's been years since I went downhill. We do cross country. We don't see costs like that, but this year will be expensive with new skis. I can drive to the nice places with freshly groomed trails in an hour and buy a ticket for $30.

Never did have much luck on the slopes...I did fine on the "bunny slope" but ended up in the
emerg room when I tried the adult hills. I'm more of a 'I'll sit in here by by the lovely fireplace and knit' type anyway ;)

Noticed this morning that the ski area by me NWNJ started blowing snow on there main trail

When you see a snow gun running its effectively covering the trails with dollar bills. Snow guns require lots of water pumped to high pressure and compressed air. There are newer guns that use less power than the old ones but next time driving to ski area look up on the power poles and you will probably see big wires or a couple of rows of these. They allow higher power cables to be stuffed into a smaller space.

1668433513696.png

When you see a snow gun running its effectively covering the trails with dollar bills. Snow guns require lots of water pumped to high pressure and compressed air. There are newer guns that use less power than the old ones but next time driving to ski area look up on the power poles and you will probably see big wires or a couple of rows of these. They allow higher power cables to be stuffed into a smaller space.

View attachment 302746
Ahh 397aasp on a 12” tangent bracket w/ anti-sway on a ccs pole @heavy hammer

Reactions: heavy hammer
Noticed this morning that the ski area by me NWNJ started blowing snow on there main trail
I am looking out my window at ski slopes right now, it's close enough that can I hear the snow guns running when I put the dog out, and they leave a nice coat of ice on my truck's windshield each morning they're running.

No action here yet, I think it needs to be below 26°F for the type they use to work properly, which we will see tonight... but then followed by rain. Looks like I can expect to hear them running by this Friday, and then all of next weekend, though. Not quite as early as you, but still earlier than usual, I think.

That threw me for a minute. We have a Crystal Mtn ski resort in this part of Michigan too.

Typically winter really sets in about the first week of December. Looks like we are a few weeks early this time. Snow forecast for the next 7 days at least, temps dropping to the teens by next weekend.
LOL The Crystal Mountain ski area is on the NE side slope of Mt. Rainier. Altitude helps. The base is at 4,400' and the summit is at 7,012'. Earliest opening date: October 1, 2013. Latest closing date: July 16, 2011.

A good way to start the winter.....if it happens. This is for Jefferson County NY.

I better finish clearing some trails, we've had systems like this shift north and dump a chit load of snow on us.

Winter Storm Watch​

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Buffalo NY
219 PM EST Mon Nov 14 2022

NYZ007-150400-
/O.NEW.KBUF.WS.A.0011.221118T0000Z-221121T0000Z/
Jefferson-
Including the city of Watertown
219 PM EST Mon Nov 14 2022

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY EVENING THROUGH
SUNDAY EVENING...

* WHAT...Heavy lake effect snow possible. Total snow accumulations
in a long duration event of 1 to 2 feet or more are possible in
the most persistent lake snows.

* WHERE...Jefferson county.

* WHEN...From Thursday evening through Sunday evening.

* IMPACTS...The potential remains for a significant long duration lake
effect snow event later Thursday night into this weekend. There
is still considerable uncertainty in exact band placement and
amounts, but it is possible that multiple periods of heavy snow
will occur across the Eastern Lake Ontario region, especially
across Jefferson County, including the city of Watertown.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Narrow bands of very heavy snow are possible across portions of
the region. Localized travel problems will be possible. Stay tuned
for later forecasts and statements as we progress through this
week.

I ran north to the Warren/Essex county line to finish winterizing the cabin. It’s going down to 14 tonight! I’d only prepared the cabin for little bits of frost/freeze.

I’d love to get some good snow! Even if it’s at the northern end of my range, Lake Placid, I’d be happy as a clam! A chilly clam…