Severe Weather 2022

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Opening day at the mtn, did 4 runs and then left, started getting crowded and the snow was fairly chunky (river stone) but it was fun to get out there and bust some turns in.
0B83B7E3-74BC-4ACC-9783-543C4D154453.jpeg

Reactions: thewoodlands
Didn’t get to ski as planned today. Kid hurt her ankle in wrestling yesterday when her opponent fell on it. Went to go buy skis though. I didn’t want to pass up the 20% off. Still gagged at the price. Her feet grew and her boots were tight last year. Does she really need those toes?

You was Mrs. Clancy.

Rain, snow and wind, it looks like we'll be dealing with more downed trees and power outages.
1671486309790.png

1671486422720.png

1671486443206.png

Rain here, again. I feel like a mushroom.

They are saying could be windchills down to -40 here Wednesday night to Friday. The Switzer will have to be humming.
Crazy azz weather we're getting for the start of winter.

Crazy azz weather we're getting for the start of winter.
Been on the mild side of average here, this year. Earliest we've ever had serious snow is Oct.30, 2011, but this year we're still having some t-shirt days in December.

What I have been noticing, with almost 100% consistency the last 20-30 years, is that every winter that starts off harsh turns mild by mid-season... and vice versa. If we have snow in October and blistering cold in November, we'll be out doing spring clean up in t-shirts in February. But if it's mild in Nov/Dec, you'd better get that snow equipment ready for late January into February.

Obviously not scientific, but it has been a trend from which we haven't often deviated.

Welp… thanks Mother Nature, I will be with the power company again this x-mas eve and day again this year.

• Wow
Reactions: Ashful
No wind. Ten character limit anticipated.

12-20-2022.jpg

Reactions: akgal
...HIGH WIND WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH
FRIDAY EVENING...

* WHAT...Southeast winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts 60 to 70 mph
possible.

* WHERE...Portions of northern New York and central, northeast,
northwest and southern Vermont.

* WHEN...From late Thursday night through Friday evening.

If this actually happens, our area will be without power.

I did make another batch of spaghetti sauce for some stuffed shells I'll make before the wind hits. Tomorrow I'll make the sausage, peppers and onions in a red sauce, we'll just need to warm things up if we lose power.

Been on the mild side of average here, this year. Earliest we've ever had serious snow is Oct.30, 2011, but this year we're still having some t-shirt days in December.

What I have been noticing, with almost 100% consistency the last 20-30 years, is that every winter that starts off harsh turns mild by mid-season... and vice versa. If we have snow in October and blistering cold in November, we'll be out doing spring clean up in t-shirts in February. But if it's mild in Nov/Dec, you'd better get that snow equipment ready for late January into February.

Obviously not scientific, but it has been a trend from which we haven't often deviated.

I've noticed something of the same, but slightly different. We seem to get around 6500 heating degree days. Regardless of how the winter starts. So, same observation, different way of saying it.

The main thing about being out in the cold is to keep an eye on how you feel. If you feel "cold" you are going to be fine.

When you stop feeling cold, that is when you need to get indoors and get warmed up, right away. At that stage, loss of sensation means frostbite is imminent.

The main thing about being out in the cold is to keep an eye on how you feel. If you feel "cold" you are going to be fine.

When you stop feeling cold, that is when you need to get indoors and get warmed up, right away. At that stage, loss of sensation means frostbite is imminent.
lol... after seeing your local temps in post #194, I'm afraid to even admit to ever feeling "cold", around here. ;lol I guess I could imagine trying to process wood at -62F, but I'd rather not!

lol... after seeing your local temps in post #194, I'm afraid to even admit to ever feeling "cold", around here. ;lol I guess I could imagine trying to process wood at -62F, but I'd rather not!
At this moment the lower 48 (broad brush) is facing a weather system they are not prepared for, similar to a 110 degree heat wave up here. The infrastructure and wardrobe components are simply not available for extremes like that in either locale.

Given hair on seal skin pants and etcetera are simply not available in Iowa, the only useful item available today is knowledge. If you are out in it, with whatever gear you got, and you don't feel cold anymore the time to get indoors and get warmed up is right stinking now.

Today I had to bundle up to bring wood from the lawn to my rack in the garage. I have more than adequate gear for that, but it was not fun. My goal is to not go back outdoors again until I leave for work tomorrow morning.

I am looking for temps in between the 20s again starting Sunday and normal life will more or less resume.

EDIT: If I was planning to be outdoors at -40dF and colder for extended periods, day after day, I would start with a poly base layer to absorb sweat, then a Merino base layer over that, and then get friendly with a native Alaskan seamstress to make me a traditional pant and jacket set from sealskin with the hair on the inside. When you see vintage pics of the northern peoples in what look to be leather goods, they left the hair on the pelt and put the hair on the inside of the item for best durability and insulation value. In 2022$ such a pant and jacket set would probably be $10-15k, lead time 1-2 years.

Last edited: