Shop lighting, tool and ect.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
So, after reading this thread one of my ballasts failed in a t8 fixture. It’s actually cheaper to do this led conversion than to replace a ballast.

Turns out that these led t8 bulbs actually make much less light output at 1800 Lumens than the t8 at like 2800 but since they are directional, the output is equivalent if not slightly brighter. Half the wattage and instant full power.

I converted 20 bulbs so I save 360 watts anytime they’re on. View attachment 273005
Nice! What did you have to give for the bulbs? I have about $27/fixture (4 bulbs)

I have patents on all the signature products for what a patent is worth which is about nothing. More of a feel good thing than anything else. I do a ton of heavy fabrication, mostly loader buckets for articulated loaders and some large backhoe buckets plus I do in the field repairs but I like my 'junk' delivered, I don't like fixing stuff in muddy construction sites, especially in the winter. I sharpen commercial chipper knives too (another dirty job), have a contract with Asplundh to run their commercial chipper knives. Keeps my big surface grinder busy and an employee, employed.

I retired from my 'day job' and got busier with my own business. Advantage is, instead of having a boss, I'm the boss.

I toy around with cleaning and servicing biomass stoves but I'd never tell my wife that. far as she's concerned I'm crazy.
Thats pretty cool stuff! I am not a metal worker. I dabble in wood working in the winter. We have a nice wood shop out at my dads. I am intrigued by metal working but never had a opportunity to learn it. My dad started in back yard vinyl lined inground pools in the 60's about when they came out and could be bought by a blue collar worker. He started digging pools at 15 yrs old. Grandpa would deliver him and the backhoe to the jobsite. Grandpa had a excavating company. At 14 I started working full time in the summers on the inground pool crew in 1989 . I was making a mans head of household wage as a teenager, but we worked 6-7 days a week and long days. Once school started back in August it was like vacation for me! I had plenty of money and did not have to worry about flipping burgers after school. We started our own company in 1992 when I graduated and I have been doing it since. We specialize in service and repair as opposed to new installs. I have worked part time for a stove shop for the last 14 yrs in the winter doing service. The stove service work is fun for me. We only service what we sell which is mostly Harman. We stock almost all parts and I have them on the truck (2011 CR-V :) ). It is very rare that the stove is not back up and running when I leave. I guess that is why I am so biased to Harman. I know them inside and out. I have torn many of them down to replace feeders yrs back when they had the 5 holes in the bottom of burnpot that was wiping feeder tubes out, so nothing scares me with them. And Im not the boss so no pressure.

Nice! What did you have to give for the bulbs? I have about $27/fixture (4 bulbs)

137$ for 20 bulbs, 5 fixtures. Almost exactly the same. 6.5$ or so per bulb. Home Depot Halco brand.

The 5k color is noticeably cooler than my 4000k t8 fluorescent tubes but I like it. The back half of my shop on a seperate circuit is staying fluorescent for now so it’s easy to compare.

My problem is the new case of 30 t8 bulbs I bought last year plus the 20 good used tubes I pulled down for the conversion. I hate that these are wasted.

Reactions: Ssyko