Should I install a blower?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roman1

Nov 18, 2016
Ohio
Hello,
When we purchased this house it had a wood burning inset installed in the den but it doesn't have a blower. There is a nice gap underneath where a blower could be installed, but I don't want to do anything that might burn down my house. There is a metal plate on the inside upper right (picture) but I've been unable to find a user manual or any substantial information. My wife is having surgery soon and will be stuck in the den for the next six weeks. It would be great if I could give her some warmth from a fire.

1) Can I install a blower? What blower should I use? I was thinking this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Shot-33...peed-Temp-Controls-Fan-Kit-FB3F-/271286698335
2) Is drilling a small hole for the power cord and everything OK?
3) Could I use a fire-safe material to baffle the blower area in order to direct the blowers air better?

I appreciate any advice I can get!

7XraaC8.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure what blower but all my reading here says blower is very much needed with an insert. I have a free standing stove and could give or take the fan. Just got a $20 harbour freight variable router plug in so I could turn my fan down lower than the low setting. If I had to do it again I probably wouldn't have bought the fan inserts need the fan to really move the air.

Here is the manual for your zero clearance fireplace. It is not an insert, but a factory built fireplace. Worthless.
See section D on pg2 "Do not cover any opening on the front of the fireplace".
Only certain models were set up for a blower, and it look like yours is not one of them.
That is not a heater, but more for ambiance.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...LbIcIN5XosKwVE8OQ&sig2=E2f4GbeY5odyeH47rkvNkA

Reactions: roman1
Only certain models were set up for a blower, and it look like yours is not one of them.

Well that's not the answer I wanted, but I sure do appreciate you finding this. IDo you think there is anything I can do to get heat out of this thing, or should I start saving up for a whole new unit?

I apologize if I appeared harsh. But I am not usually one to mix words.
The problem with that unit, it is more for looks, than heat.
You will feel heat standing in front of it, but in reality, it will end up sucking more heat from the home, then it puts into the home.
If it has doors on it, that may help some, but not a lot.

If you want ambiance, then it will due just fine.
If you want real heat, then unfortunately, you will have to research and plan for something else to replace it.
You can almost bet there are combustibles surrounding it, so the choices are leave as is, and enjoy the ambiance.
Replace with a new efficient zero clearance unit, that will actually put out some serious heat. There are some nice units out there that will do a great job.
You could place a new/er wood burning stove elsewhere in the room or house.
Or tear the thing completely out, along with the combustibles around it, and do an alcove install with a new stove, or something with a chase that meets clearances.
You have choices, but nothing really with the existing, to consider any real heating from it.
Keep in mind, if you change it out, you will most likely need to run a new stack also.

Post some front view & insider view photos so we can see what we are dealing with.

Another alternative if the current configuration lends itself to it would be to install a rear-venting freestanding stove in front of the fireplace with a full liner up the chimney. This would require that the current door opening height is high enough, a new full stainless liner and a new hearth or at least a hearth extension.

I really appreciate all of the advice. It looks like we are just going to have to enjoy our ambiance until we have enough funds to throw at a complete rebuild. Hogwildz is right that the unit seems to suck more heat from the home than it gives.
Again, I really do appreciate your time and advice. Maybe in a year or so I'll be back to show off my Supreme Galaxy.
Respectfully,
<-

Status
Not open for further replies.