Should I Retire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I'm thinking about it more and more. Work not stressful, not inspiring, don't feel any job statisfaction but someplace to go. No real hobbies (other than home heating, lol). Could retire on ok pension. Wife already retired. Will be 62 in May.

Yes.

Retire. If you find too much time on your hands, pick up a couple of days doing something you like. It sounds like retirees like picking up work at hearth.com.;lol

What are you waiting for?

Reactions: becasunshine
Yes. By all means Yes.

It seems that a lot of people retire and then pick up a part time or seasonal job. But then, that wouldn't be retired now, would it?
One fella I've worked with always said that you may as well retire at 62 because you'll never make up the extra money by working till you're 65...68...etc.
But lets address the real issues here-work doesn't inspire you-no job satisfaction-no hobbies...sounds like one of those commercials for low testosterone!!
And just how is it that she is already retired?? Not fair!
I say, go for it and retire!

Foster a hobby first. Too many guys work their whole life, then retire and their boredom causes issues at home (like the shop manager that decides to tell the wife how to do her job at home). Now, I don't know your relationship, but that's just what I've seen from others

Then the wife says "get the eff out and get a job"- those are the retires working at Home Depot

Reactions: 7acres
Scoot while the scooting's good. But make a plan for what you'll do to fill the time; I would not have a problem with that side of it - I could retire tomorrow and never not be busy (barring a winning lottery ticket, not an option...) Include your wife in the planning. If you're both in good health, there's no time like now to go ahead and travel if you have any inclination that way - another 10-20 years really ramps up your fragility.

Come to think of it, keep working. My Social Security and Medicare needs the contributions.

Dont worry ,you will find plenty to do after retirement.
Once you hit 60 its time to turn the stress of the workplace over to the next generation. One of my most important decisions lately is what kind of beer to try this week. Im lovin it.

My plan is to retire at 62 (54 as of Jan. 7th).....at that point will have 20 years of Pension, some investments, and maybe collect Social Security. My actual date is 2025, but I'm bailing out early (3 years), and will try to live without the SS benefit till it reaches it's prime. If it's affordable to do it now, go for it, as long as all your ducks are in a row

That's my 70th birthday

Which I think is just about the time that the current folks who wanna mess with SS want you to retire. There is actually a debate all over the advanced world about "the age"......I think it's now 66? At least for folks my age.

I have to agree with Seasoned. Sure, each person is different but I feel as if I've fought my battles and need to make decisions like what to eat for breakfast instead of monthly capital expenditures.....

Reactions: becasunshine
I am making plans that do not include SS as part of the retirement. I figure that is the safest way. If it is still running, then good for me, but I plan on retiring long before SS says I can. For peeps born after 1960... 67 is the full retirement age (currently) with early retirement set at 62 (with a 30% reduction in SS payout). Medicare still kicks in at 65 for all.

Reactions: OldLumberKid
You need four things in retirement. First you need your health. So keep going to the doctor, don't neglect that pain in the stomach or back etc. If you are sick or worse yet, sick and don't know it, it kind of ruins your retirement. Secondly, you need hobbies. People who say "when I retire, I am going to play golf" or "travel" or whatever, are going to be bored. Hobbies are something you do all your life, and you need more than one. Thirdly you need friends. You need friends inside and outside of your comfort zone. Start in your own neighborhood and organize a block party or have a Superbowl party and invite the neighbors. Join the Lions club, or Optimist club or volunteer at your church or school or where ever they need help. Join a breakfast group that eats out once a week for example. Lastly, you need money to do the above. So health, hobbies, friends and money.

My plan is to retire at 62 (54 as of Jan. 7th).....at that point will have 20 years of Pension, some investments, and maybe collect Social Security. My actual date is 2025, but I'm bailing out early (3 years), and will try to live without the SS benefit till it reaches it's prime. If it's affordable to do it now, go for it, as long as all your ducks are in a row

Happy belated, Jan. 7 birthday. Me too!

Reactions: Beer Belly
Retirement is "playtime" If your health is still good. Time to do the things you WANT to do instead of the things you HAVE to do. Its also your last chance to get through that bucket list.
Have fun before the body gives out......its all downhill from there. Start now if you can afford it.

Reactions: OldLumberKid
I say go for it, Karl, if you can afford it. I will also be 62 in May & plan on staying at the current job until 2017, if I live that long. I haven't checked into SS & what can get if go out in May. I don't think it'll be a whole lot, since I already have a reduced CSRS pension & Ronald Reagan came up with the "Double-Dipper" law back in to 80s...

retire! other people need jobs! LOL,, i have 5 more years to go.

I think the question is: Why should you retire?

My girlfriend’s dad is in his early 70’s. I think he retired once already, but he likes being around people, and I think he’s slightly scared his wife will keep him too busy at home if he’s idle so he keeps going back to work. Right now he works for an upper scale car dealership picking up customers’ cars from their homes and taking them in for service, or even driving several hours to drop them off for those customers who buy cars sight-unseen. I think they only pay like $10/hour, but he drives German sports cars all day and it helps pay for hobbies. I think a low stress job like that would be nice one day when I’m done with my “grown-up” job.

Status
Not open for further replies.