Show us you pics of the dirty work horses you call a splitter!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of these wood splitters look like they could do double duty as trebuchets to ward off any Huns or Vandals. :)

I'm not impressed with any of these units - none of them look like they could enter next years Punkin Chunkin event.

http://www.punkinchunkin.com/

Yes I'm totally prepared to see the next post with a modified dual purpose splitter / pump chunkin trebuchet.

Yall have some great equipment out there. Great thread.

Here is mine. Split a couple of logs with it today.

View attachment 83695

Didn't think to take a pix of it mounted on the tractor.
I don't use it very often, I also have a 3pt mount hydraulic and an electric splitter.
Never thought of using a post hole digger like that!

Sent from my rooted and eclipse running X2--thanks nitro-- if im posting on here I'm probably supposed to be working! I can't help im addicted to HEARTH.COM!

The day I brought it home - has not missed a beat since.

Specs on this? Model, HP, Tonnage. Looks like a serious one.

Here is mine, 20 ton North Star from Northern. 5.5 honda engine with auto idle.

brokenknee. Nice splitter. Nice tractor. That looks like a good size Pine Tree you got there.

I got 1-7/8th" ;em
So what does that come out to 10Tons???:confused:

Is 1-7/8" the size of the ram Sean? I think your cylinder is larger than that. Right? Must be almost twice that size.

Well the reason it looks big is so we can split 30" long wood. that fits my boiler real good & its a lot less cuttin. So I used a 4"x40"x2.5" cylinder that I reworked the ports to 3/4" for more flow & a 22gpm haldex pump hooked to a 14 hp kohler, 3/4" port valves & 3/4" hose. I used a 30 gal drum for the hydraulic tank & put 25 gal. of oil in it. the wedge is 15" tall & so is the push plate. the 4 way is 15" wide & stationary. the work table is 4' long & 3' wide, the log lift is 24" wide & will lift all the wood you can put on it. it's 18 1/2 ' long from end of table to tongue. don't know what it weights but maybe close to the weight of my toyota pickup. I've pulled it to my sons house 80 miles away, 70 mph on the hiway never even wiggled. The log lift & the work table are real back savers. We've split 20 cord or better so far. works good. I think next summer I'll park it out by the pond under a shade tree so I can set in the seat and fish with adult beverages of course. prolly build some kind of can smasher for it. I'm not very good at this picture stuff, but i'll try.

Dude. That thing is awesome. Nice job building that thing. Has anyone ever told you that you have a problem with over doing things? ;emJust curious. That's all. Are you a member of the Firewood Hoarders Club, LTD.?

Wife bought this for me over Labor Day weekend. Love it!

Dam. I wish my wife would buy me a splitter. I think we are going to have to have a talk. I won't get anywhere, but at least we will be having a conversation.

Reactions: swagler85
Is 1-7/8" the size of the ram Sean? I think your cylinder is larger than that. Right? Must be almost twice that size.
I measure the 1-7/8" across the shaft just after the push plate.

Dam. I wish my wife would buy me a splitter. I think we are going to have to have a talk. I won't get anywhere, but at least we will be having a conversation.

No one was more suprised than I was! We were sitting on the patio shooting the breeze. I had wood stacked all over our small yard & driveway. I was being honest; told her I really didn't need a new bigger saw...I have two already, and I really didn't need a new bigger snowblower...the Toro still starts on the second pull and does the job. But I did say that I was gonna start saving for a gas splitter to save my back, arms. etc. She knew I liked the Ariens and asked if that's the one I always drooled over while at Home Depot. Then she showed me a special sale card she got for a three day special at HD, and by 5:00 PM that Saturday....

It was all her idea. I was stunned beyond belief!

Momma does like to be warmed by wood heat.

Try it...you may be suprised.

Regards / Mike

Nothing dirty about my splitter yet.
It is a scrapyard build, everything but the pump, valve, hoses and fittings were found at the yards 15 to 20 cents/lb over a few years and finally assembled a few months ago.
Even found a tongue and Bulldog jack that were new,,, the stuff people throw away!

5hp electric motor 3400rpm, 4x28 ram (I think off a CAT?), 13 gpm pump, airport luggage mule tires,hubs, spindles. Solid rubber tires, won't be getting a flat.

There is a 30" space between the wedge and moving plate even though the ram travel is only 28". I like this because the split wood hangs there without falling off and I can pull it back and resplit it, or just toss the next piece in behind it and keep-a-going.

Used the detent type valve. Detent lock in forward or reverse and the automatically drops back to neutral and either end of the stroke so I don't have to keep my hand on the lever.

Wish I got an auto retract valve for even faster operation. Might rig something mechanical up.

DSCN0535.jpg

Nice splitters WP.I really like that tong on winch set up never seen one before. I have some standing dead bull pines here ,3ft + at the base, leaving them alone because can't handle 3ft X 2ft rounds. I'd like to give them a try probably 2+ cords a tree of pretty dry wood.
With that much wood processing hardware you must get your wood by the logging truck load. What is that rig to right in your first big splitter pic, looks like a steam tractor?
Well when I was young we cut what we called cord wood 4 footers and loaded onto a two wheeled trailer but when age and wisdom matured I made up this simple hyd. wench,only a hyd. moter that slipps into a drum this way it;s easy to go forward and or back. I mounted the three inch pipe on the front of trailer and ran it from tractor hyd's. I could then load the big ones easy.Now that I am using the small splitter it was easy to attach to it.I used the tongs for a wile but it is two man job.What you see now is a set of tongs used for RR ties works better but I find just roll big ones onto loader and lift'em up this splitter will take 27" long for what you thought was a steam tractor in reality the outside boiler. I have 80 acres of wood more than I can use in a lifetime also for the last few years a ZETOR 4x4 and Farme wench about 60HP this makes life much easier. If you are going to cut those big guys a wench is nice and not too much $$$ most of the stuff was given or on hand the moter in the big splitter is from an iszzu PU tobro charged about 80 HP,trailer from old house trailer the 6" piston I had well you get the drift only $800 out of pocket for it,same with small splitter engine from dump 8HP from gen. sawed off tapered shaft and cut in keyway beam is 1" thick from wrecked building.
Well enough for now hope I answered your ?'s Whitepine2

Nice build, Juanni. A very practical splitter for sure.

And welcome to the forum.
I agree , and that is one heck of a" electric splitter" !:p

Well when I was young we cut what we called cord wood 4 footers and loaded onto a two wheeled trailer but when age and wisdom matured I made up this simple hyd. wench,only a hyd. moter that slipps into a drum this way it;s easy to go forward and or back. I mounted the three inch pipe on the front of trailer and ran it from tractor hyd's. I could then load the big ones easy.Now that I am using the small splitter it was easy to attach to it.I used the tongs for a wile but it is two man job.What you see now is a set of tongs used for RR ties works better but I find just roll big ones onto loader and lift'em up this splitter will take 27" long for what you thought was a steam tractor in reality the outside boiler. I have 80 acres of wood more than I can use in a lifetime also for the last few years a ZETOR 4x4 and Farme wench about 60HP this makes life much easier. If you are going to cut those big guys a wench is nice and not too much $$$ most of the stuff was given or on hand the moter in the big splitter is from an iszzu PU tobro charged about 80 HP,trailer from old house trailer the 6" piston I had well you get the drift only $800 out of pocket for it,same with small splitter engine from dump 8HP from gen. sawed off tapered shaft and cut in keyway beam is 1" thick from wrecked building.
Well enough for now hope I answered your ?'s Whitepine2
Who says farmers aren't engineers in disguise,

Who says farmers aren't engineers in disguise,

Funny. Around my parts, we actually refer to it as "farmer engineering".;lol

I agree , and that is one heck of a" electric splitter" !:p

Thanks Fellas!!

I have a persnickety Ford 8N tractor that constantly needs fiddling to start, run and idle,,,,that satisfies my gas motor desires. .
The electric is a joy. Flip the breaker and I am a splittin'.

Best part is your friends can borrow it only as far as the cord reaches.
If that doesn't stop them pointing out the non highway tires does. :cool:

juanni. That is a very nice splitter. Nice job. Very impressive. I am strongly considering an electric splitter when I do buy one. My neighbors have one and it is nice and quiet. They let me borrow it but I get tired of asking them. So sometimes I rent a gas one. But they are noisy. I can listen to the radio at a low level while the electric one is running. Very nice. I am looking into this one made by Ramsplitter. This site has a good price on them. I don't know that I would purchase from them because of the possible back up I would get from buying from the actual manufacturer.

http://www.logsplittersdirect.com/Ramsplitter-HV20-4-Log-Splitter/p3299.html

Sorry about sidetracking the thread. I know it is suppose to be about our logsplitters. I have temporarily turned it into my dreaming thread..... ;lol

juanni. That is a very nice splitter. Nice job. Very impressive. I am strongly considering an electric splitter when I do buy one. My neighbors have one and it is nice and quiet. They let me borrow it but I get tired of asking them. So sometimes I rent a gas one. But they are noisy. I can listen to the radio at a low level while the electric one is running. Very nice. I am looking into this one made by Ramsplitter. This site has a good price on them. I don't know that I would purchase from them because of the possible back up I would get from buying from the actual manufacturer.

http://www.logsplittersdirect.com/Ramsplitter-HV20-4-Log-Splitter/p3299.html

Sorry about sidetracking the thread. I know it is suppose to be about our logsplitters. I have temporarily turned it into my dreaming thread..... ;lol

Hmmmm...... there is nothing quite about my splitter. That pump screams at 3400rpm, I wear ear muffs.
Wonder if it supposed to be quieter, it was a new pump??

First Post on this site and here is my splitter. 25HP motor, 28 GPM pump, 5 X 30 cylinder with adjustable stops. Dual swing away detent tables, stabilizer arms 360 degree swivel lift with cordless winch, 33 Gallon hydraulic res, quick attach wedges and full auto cycle valves. Built for the big stuff and does really well.

MVC-023S_15.JPG

MVC-029S_3.JPG

MVC-020S_42.JPG

MVC-021S_32.JPG

Reactions: ikessky and zap
!!! Holy wood splitter! Nice Kevin, very nice. Are you in the business of selling firewood? How long have you had that monster?

MVC-021S_32.JPG
[/quote]

Good grief! That thing doesn't even have any dust on it, let alone dirt. :eek:

I am definitely not jealous. Nope, no way, not . jealous . . at . . . all. ::P :(

Those pics are before I started using it earlier this year. I've run about 35 cord through it a makes it way easier as there is not near as much leaning over. Beam is right at 40 iches high which is perfect for me. We basiclly do not have to lean over to pick up the to be splits from the big rounds. We do not sell but have 160 cord under roof at the moment.

MVC-016S_1.JPG

Here are some action pics for you. That is about a 40 inch Beech Round

MVC-018S_55.JPG

MVC-019S_54.JPG

MVC-021S_33.JPG

I think I'll keep her ;)

Reactions: ikessky
Those pics are before I started using it earlier this year. I've run about 35 cord through it a makes it way easier as there is not near as much leaning over. Beam is right at 40 iches high which is perfect for me. We basiclly do not have to lean over to pick up the to be splits from the big rounds. We do not sell but have 160 cord under roof at the moment.

MVC-016S_1.JPG

MVC-018S_55.JPG

MVC-019S_54.JPG

MVC-021S_33.JPG

I think I'll keep her ;)
I'm surprised there's not a muti-wedge on a machine with that kind of hydraulic muscle.

MVC-016S_1.JPG

MVC-018S_55.JPG

MVC-019S_54.JPG

MVC-021S_33.JPG

I think I'll keep her ;)

Very impressive. That is one hell of a splitter..

160 cord!!! In Ohio. Welcome aboard neighbor. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.