Show Us Your Wood Shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Here's my shed. Built mostly with recycled materials. Holds 4 cord. I need more storage.
20221128_180042.jpg

I like it! Looks kinda like a pergula (sp) ......very nice. I have no room for a real woodshed, as I live in town. I use a plastic garbage shed, and a fire ring stood up, and filled with small stuff.

Reactions: TomMcDonald
I like it! Looks kinda like a pergula (sp) ......very nice. I have no room for a real woodshed, as I live in town. I use a plastic garbage shed, and a fire ring stood up, and filled with small stuff.
I've seen some real nice wood sheds in town. They generally help you stack higher than free stacking to put more wood onto a smaller footprint. Check your ordinances, but many towns require no permit for something under 100 sq.ft., hence the reason my five sheds are 96 sq.ft. each.

A few years ago I built an 8x16 shed (thread at https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/shed-build-underway.183281/), and liked that one enough that I built another to match this fall in a different part of the yard. I just finished it this weekend, and now I can work on spending the winter filling it up. Same kit, same colors, and the same partition wall built out of the shipping pallet and much of the temporary bracing. The plan is to now have four bays across the two sheds, each holding about three cords: one I'm emptying, one filling, and two drying. The problem with this plan is that if I look at what I have on hand once split and stacked it will be a couple cords beyond the 12 cords that the two sheds will hold.

PXL_20221112_161537191.jpg
PXL_20221114_204658808.jpg
PXL_20221119_213905802.jpg
PXL_20221126_185101030.jpg

A few years ago I built an 8x16 shed...The problem with this plan is that if I look at what I have on hand once split and stacked it will be a couple cords beyond the 12 cords that the two sheds will hold.
Same issue here. I now have four 6x16 sheds, plus a fifth smaller, and still logs piling up. I'm just splitting now logs that I piled in 2020, and I am finding some have gone punky, despite being stacked on purlins off the ground. I have family calling and asking me to come pick up more ash trees from them, but I'm already about 3 years out on stacked logs here. Starting to think I need to build a few more sheds, or at least some way to keep logs dry.

Reactions: orlkc
Removing dead wood from forests is very detrimental to the planet, i.e. to biodiversity. Dead wood is what sustains a large part of forest life. (Dead leaves and mast are the other major parts.)
So I'm suppose to leave all of the dead ash trees laying on the forest floor that were killed by an invasive species and cut down the remaining healthy trees for the sake of the environment ? EAB has already decimated roughly 20% of our hardwood trees.

Not at all. That is not what I said. I responded to the erroneous remark reproduced here:

"In my mind, we are all doing the planet a favor by removing dead, sometimes dangerous trees from our forests."

Removing such trees is not beneficial for nature is all I said.

Reactions: Ashful and sloeffle
Not at all. That is not what I said. I responded to the erroneous remark reproduced here:

"In my mind, we are all doing the planet a favor by removing dead, sometimes dangerous trees from our forests."

Removing such trees is not beneficial for nature is all I said.
I'm just finishing this (recorded) book. Really interesting conversation about the value of treefall to the ecosystem. Also, this guy seems to have quite a passion for ash...which I just cannot understand. Oak is where it's at... :)

Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 12.47.13 PM.png

Reactions: orlkc
I'm just finishing this (recorded) book. Really interesting conversation about the value of treefall to the ecosystem. Also, this guy seems to have quite a passion for ash...which I just cannot understand. Oak is where it's at... :)

View attachment 304083
I love ash. Just ordered one copy of this book for me and one for friends. For many years he has used ash in the most beautiful cedar / canvas canoes and she weaves the most lovely ash baskets in the native tradition. I once had a pair of long ash oars. They had just a bit of spring so they almost felt alive. Fresh cut ash, because of its low moisture helped keep us heated our first winter in the capped foundation of our first house. Splits easy too.

I don’t know much about oak. I find it’s uncommon in more norther parts of Maine. I do know it’s many qualites put it in demand for framing in ship and boat building. I get a little of it in my firewood where I am living now. I’ve seen lots of oak on the cape.

Good grief these are some nice sheds !! I was hoping to see a few more outdoor boilers in sheds or near sheds as that's what I'm looking to do but I got a ton of ideas out of here today so thank you !!

Reactions: Ashful
VERY nice wood sheds. Could probably get 500 a month for rent, jk.....they are nice tho...I wanna see a pic of that grey car!

Agreed, there are some beauties out there.

Which car, Bill?

Its a car on page 1.....bmxdukie posted a shed pic, but the car is cool too. Like a Vette or a Camaro...can only see the back of it.

Looks like a Corvette C7 to me, made 2014 - 17.

I definitely need to put something here to keep Mother Nature off my wood. Don't mind the smoke, it started as wet boxelder and is still burning off the snow 😐
KIMG1274.JPG

Sure hope to have the funds to put a shed up here next year. Still working out the smoke ventilation issue as this thing smokes a bit when it's open while I'm feeding it. Really like not to have to deal with a fan and stuff if I don't have to .....

Reactions: SJT and Vg3200p
I definitely need to put something here to keep Mother Nature off my wood. Don't mind the smoke, it started as wet boxelder and is still burning off the snow 😐
View attachment 305963

Sure hope to have the funds to put a shed up here next year. Still working out the smoke ventilation issue as this thing smokes a bit when it's open while I'm feeding it. Really like not to have to deal with a fan and stuff if I don't have to .....
Great picture and is exactly what I deal with most winters. I can't imagine heating 8,000 sq ft! Holy Cow!!!I am getting tired of breaking loose frozen logs all winter long, which I am sure you will deal with too. I often wonder how much less wood I would burn if I had it covered under roof. My hopes are to achieve that by next winter. Below is this years supply.

20221221_145358.jpg

Reactions: TreeCo
Great picture and is exactly what I deal with most winters. I can't imagine heating 8,000 sq ft! Holy Cow!!!I am getting tired of breaking loose frozen logs all winter long, which I am sure you will deal with too. I often wonder how much less wood I would burn if I had it covered under roof. My hopes are to achieve that by next winter. Below is this years supply.
Looks like a nice wood pile !!!

The farm shop is 54x72 with a 14x16 office and a 14x24 room above set up as a living room for the kiddos to hang in. Shop is kept at 58F, office and upstairs at 65F

House is 2,500ish kept at 70f (she who must be obeyed runs that thermostat) and garage is another 1500ish kept around 60f.

Well house is 8x16 and kept at 40f or a little more.

The boiler makes hot water go wherever and I just need to feed it. So far wet boxelder and other trash wood are going through rather quickly but we have an abundance of wood so let it eat. It's offsetting 20-25ga of LP on these cold days so I'll happily toss a few chunks in when needed !!

Reactions: StudlyHogly
You got automatic thermostats on all those zones, jblnut? If you have the firepower required to bring them back up to temperature in reasonable time, or program them to start pre-heating appropriately early, you could probably save a boatload of wood letting thigs drift down a few more degrees overnight, in the shop, office, etc. I'm doing something similar in the same sq.ft, although I'm only using wood for parts of it, with fossil fuels and electrons ruling in the shop and garage.

Just starting the splitting and stacking of some "free" wood I got delivered from some neighbors having multiple hardwood trees taken down. This shed was an old goat pen from the former owner, unfortunately not ideally situated. It's a bit farther back on the property than I desired and opens to the north, but it's here and did not cost anything to repurpose. I took off some of the fence boards to open it up for airflow and sunlight. We are using the tractor to ferry split logs back to the shed.

empty wood shed.jpg

I don’t know much about oak. I find it’s uncommon in more norther parts of Maine. I do know it’s many qualities put it in demand for framing in ship and boat building. I get a little of it in my firewood where I am living now. I’ve seen lots of oak on the cape.

The oak on the cape isn't much to talk about. Sandy soils make for scrawny trees, it seems.

Most of my furniture making work has been with oak, although my last project, a stand up desk was cherry. Cherry is a bit of a pain to work with, but it sure does burn nice. :)

I keep my wood in totes in various places on my property. Currently have twenty-one of them and I’m always on the lookout for them when they are cheap. Puts me at around 6 - 7 cords which is about two years worth of wood for me.

IMHO it’s the most efficient way to get a piece wood from my woods to my stove. It only gets touched twice. Once to load into the tote, and then into the stove. Of course you do need to have the equipment to move them around with. One 330 gallon tote weighs roughly 1500lbs as a guess, of course species and wetness matter.

8F1D86F2-A52C-4362-A973-9694A96296B8.jpeg 77419F91-B23C-4F18-9443-813FAD5D7D8E.jpeg 68E0D4F3-02AF-4FEF-94BD-EC1D1CECCAD7.jpeg

Last edited: