Show Us Your Wood Shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
going to expand wood shed, I hope wood will dry !
IMG_20230520_165642.jpg

going to expand wood shed, I hope wood will dry !
Nice. That looks like it will hold a good amount of wood...maybe six or seven cords.

What are you going to to do ensure air flow through the stacks? Raised flooring (pallets or decking)?

Nice. That looks like it will hold a good amount of wood...maybe six or seven cords.

What are you going to to do ensure air flow through the stacks? Raised flooring (pallets or decking)?
length are 52 feet should hold between 20 and 30 cords theoretically. Yes, pallets to raise the piles of wood, and also leave space between the rows. The air flow is there being a tunnel open at the ends. It would have been better left out but we had 1 month of rain, and I'm waiting for another load, to be unloaded as close as possible to the entrance, for less work !

considering 3-4cord per year and considering 2 years seasoning ( to be sure low moisture ) I think it'll be ok if I keep 8 cords in. Is this a common way of reasoning?

considering 3-4cord per year and considering 2 years seasoning ( to be sure low moisture ) I think it'll be ok if I keep 8 cords in. Is this a common way of reasoning?
Yes. Think about easy access to each year's worth, both while splitting & stacking, and then later when retrieving. That will dictate your stacking plan or organization in a large single structure.

Reactions: Prometeo
Yes. Think about easy access to each year's worth, both while splitting & stacking, and then later when retrieving. That will dictate your stacking plan or organization in a large single structure.
Thank you, apart from this, I have to foresee a small part each year, small wooden, for cold start and part of reload eventually, to be stacked separately right?

Stacking separately or not doesn't matter, as long as you can get to your kindling. So you could mix it into your stacks or have a separate pile.

Given the space you have, I'd keep a central path open for air flow, and stack (10 cm off) parallel to the walls, so you can access anything you want, rather than one solid stack accessed only from the two ends.

I.e. create an avenue between the stacks..

Stacking separately or not doesn't matter, as long as you can get to your kindling. So you could mix it into your stacks or have a separate pile.

Given the space you have, I'd keep a central path open for air flow, and stack (10 cm off) parallel to the walls, so you can access anything you want, rather than one solid stack accessed only from the two ends.

I.e. create an avenue between the stacks..
Thank you, I'll go this way, winter 2024-25 I should start burning decently !

I honestly don't make or keep kindling (small sticks). I just load the stove with 4" to 6" wide splits (10 - 15 cm), jam a quarter puck of SuperCedar either under or into the middle of the pile, light, and close the door. My wood is dry enough it just lights from that, even the oak, no kindling required.

Substitute your favorite Italian fire starter for SuperCedars, or make your own!

I honestly don't make or keep kindling (small sticks). I just load the stove with 4" to 6" wide splits (10 - 15 cm), jam a quarter puck of SuperCedar either under or into the middle of the pile, light, and close the door. My wood is dry enough it just lights from that, even the oak, no kindling required.

Substitute your favorite Italian fire starter for SuperCedars, or make your own!
Very good, not having to worry about the kindlings, the first fire also burns for a long time, in that way, I hope my moisture will be low enough, now it's over 50. I use a different kind, similar to supercedars (unavailable here or very expensive to import). Thank you

That's a really interesting idea, thanks! I've got a couple of clear tarps for the front, so it won't be *too* ugly.

I think I'll stick a remote temp sensor in there, and then compare moisture content with splits from this one and from a bin on the other side of the storage shed. Very interesting...

Now...how do I explain this to my wife? :)
So I put some clear tarps on the front of the shed and a regular poly tarp around much of the rest. With the clear roof, I'm seeing internal air temperatures 10-15 degrees above ambient.
Interestingly, I also have a remote sensor somewhere low in the stack, and it's not showing any significant increase above ambient. Maybe it's just on the deck, so it's getting airflow (it fell after I put it in the stack and can't reach it...)

Put your old Trans Am up on blocks in the yard on the other side of the house, and she'll never even notice the wood shed! ;lol
I tried that with an old Saab 99 many years ago, while I was in high school. Bought it dead, looked at it for three months, sold it dead. Not the best use of $500. :)

Interestingly, I also have a remote sensor somewhere low in the stack, and it's not showing any significant increase above ambient. Maybe it's just on the deck, so it's getting airflow (it fell after I put it in the stack and can't reach it...)
Does it follow the ambient temperature pretty closely or is there a delay (when the weather changes)? That should give you an idea of how close it is to the incoming air vs. surrounded by wood.

Does it follow the ambient temperature pretty closely or is there a delay (when the weather changes)? That should give you an idea of how close it is to the incoming air vs. surrounded by wood.
I think the remote follows the ambient temperature pretty closely. It does not seem to reflect the heat mass of the stack, which, to your point, should change much more slowly

Just recently finished filling it, got all the wood for free and it's about 24 feet long. Lots of work as many of you know, probably going to let it dry for a few years since I have a lot of wood under the deck to go through first.

20230802_185927.jpg

Reactions: dafattkidd
Looks nice, if you put a divider front to back in the center, you'll find it easier to keep your years of wood separate. I have a very similar set up, but with three bays.

All filled up! Should have about 2 years worth. 6 cords total.
View attachment 314741
Nice. Agree about the separate wall in the middle as then you have 3 and 3 on each side. Not sure how much wood you burn but that may give you close to two seasons with one dry and the other drying.

Reactions: cahaak