Show Us Your Wood Shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
More progress. Debating the vertical vs horizontal siding. Was always planning to go horizontal with 1x3’s but now thinking of going with 1x8 vertical rough cut boards with 2” air gaps. Kind of like board & batten without the batten.

IMG_4281.jpeg

I'm not much of a carpenter so I tend to overbuild things. Looking at your frame how will that hold up the the pressure of firewood against the sides? I'd want to but some triangulated cross braces in at the least. Also if you get snow load on the roof how will the scabbed on 2x4's hold up all of the weight of the 2x6's and the snow? On your siding horizontal would probably give you more strength in the walls.

I'm not much of a carpenter so I tend to overbuild things. Looking at your frame how will that hold up the the pressure of firewood against the sides? I'd want to but some triangulated cross braces in at the least. Also if you get snow load on the roof how will the scabbed on 2x4's hold up all of the weight of the 2x6's and the snow? On your siding horizontal would probably give you more strength in the walls.
Yup this is still in progress. More to come and have built three homes in heavy snow load locations so have plans to address all.

I will be adding the divider next year as the left half gets burned up this year. I’m using the center support post as an imaginary divider. It’s going to be 2 years worth.

Not a shed but a series of racks I made to serve as permanent top covering. Dog Nolan inspected and signed off on the build.

IMG_3237.jpeg IMG_3232.jpeg

Nice! How many cords / years does that hold, for you?

Nice! How many cords / years does that hold, for you?
Depending on height and packing it in, each side is 8x8 roughly so I would say 3-4 face cords each side, possibly more.

8x8x6 feet would be 3 cords. We don’t use “face cords” when discussing wood volume, it really means nothing with regard to volume, unless we know the third dimension.

8x8x6 feet would be 3 cords. We don’t use “face cords” when discussing wood volume, it really means nothing with regard to volume, unless we know the third dimension.
Face cord is all anyone sells. Whenever I see a cord for sale, a cord is one “face” of a full cord. That is how it was where I grew up in Canada and that is all I see sold here as a “cord”. I have never see a true cord sold here.

Here's a shed I built this summer. I built it on my driveway and then moved it to the wood area out behind the barn.

Here's a pic of it being moved. It was kind of sketchy as the CG of the shed is out past the end of the forks. There's straps keeping it from falling off them.

IMG_0798.JPG

And here it is on its foundation, half full. It should hold about 2.3 full cords, which is about what I burn each winter.

IMG_0800.JPG

The two cinder blocks are an improvised step so I could fill the last row on the one bay to the top.

Just to the left you can see a couple of the 9 IBC totes I have set up for firewood. I move one up to the house with the tractor when its time to burn the wood in it. They take up more room than a shed which is why I built the shed. The wood is a mix of Doug Fir and bay, from a bunch of trees that came down this last winter. Those logs are stacked out of the picture.

Face cord is all anyone sells. Whenever I see a cord for sale, a cord is one “face” of a full cord. That is how it was where I grew up in Canada and that is all I see sold here as a “cord”. I have never see a true cord sold here.
Yeah, things vary with locale. Here it's actually illegal to advertise or sell "face cords", as it's not a legitimate measure of volume. All wood must be sold by volume, either cords, fraction of cord (eg. 1/2 cord, 1/4 cord), or cubic feet, cubic meters, whatever. "Face cord" means literally "4 feet by 8 feet x anything you like". It could reasonably be 1/3 cord or 1/2 cord, depending on how long the wood was cut.

If you advertise face cords only I guess a seller could save some wood and money by cutting to 14 or 16 inches instead of 18 or 20 inches.

Free standing. 30' x 6' roof, 29' x 5' floor, 6' average interior height. Eight bays, 43 1/2" wide. Six cord, on paper.

Started with eighteen 20" black locust square-ended stakes around the perimeter, 12" below ground, 8" above, set in heavy clay, holes drilled with 2" auger, driven down the last inch or so with a sledge. Interior floor supports are short posts resting on an in-ground horizontal beam, also black locust. Floor is clear span across each 43 1/2" bay, so debris can be raked out with a leaf rake, hopefully. Front-to-back floor supports are one-half of a pressure-treated 2x6, side-to-side floor supports are one-half of a pressure-treated 5/4 x 6.

Floor, back wall, and bay dividers are tied together with 6x6 10 gauge re-mesh, with the mesh in tension and the wood in compression. Wire mesh is fastened with beaucoup 7/8" 18 gauge galvanized staples. Floor is 3/4" hemlock slab wood, 2" wide with 1" gaps.

Eighteen 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" black locust posts to hold the roof up. Kinda springy, roof superstructure resonates at about 4 Hz, could use some diagonalization when I get around to it.

Rafters are pressure-treated 2x4s that have been re-sawn into twin sisters, purlins are 1" random hardwood scrap. Planning on adding a rafter tie and prop to each rafter, just for looks.

Back and side horizontal supports are 1"x2" rough-cut black locust, which hold the wire mesh in tension.

IMG_20230717_183108809 - Copy.jpg IMG_20230717_183208684.jpg IMG_20230720_150003553.jpg IMG_20230723_135436263.jpg IMG_20230802_164920479_HDR.jpg IMG_20230802_164951320_HDR - Copy.jpg IMG_20230811_103413335.jpg IMG_20230818_111922379.jpg IMG_20230908_153913845.jpg IMG_20230908_154247407_HDR.jpg IMG_20230717_183108809.jpg

Last edited:
Free standing. 30' x 6' roof, 29' x 5' floor, 6' average interior height. Eight bays, 43 1/2" wide. Six cord, on paper.

Started with eighteen 20" black locust square-ended stakes around the perimeter, 12" below ground, 8" above, set in heavy clay, holes drilled with 2" auger, driven down the last inch or so with a sledge. Interior floor supports are short posts resting on an in-ground horizontal beam, also black locust. Floor is clear span across each 43 1/2" bay, so debris can be raked out with a leaf rake, hopefully. Front-to-back floor supports are one-half of a pressure-treated 2x6, side-to-side floor supports are one-half of a pressure-treated 5/4 x 6.

Floor, back wall, and bay dividers are tied together with 6x6 10 gauge re-mesh, with the mesh in tension and the wood in compression. Wire mesh is fastened with beaucoup 7/8" 18 gauge galvanized staples. Floor is 3/4" hemlock slab wood, 2" wide with 1" gaps.

Eighteen 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" black locust posts to hold the roof up. Kinda springy, roof superstructure resonates at about 4 Hz, could use some diagonalization when I get around to it.

Rafters are pressure-treated 2x4s that have been re-sawn into twin sisters, purlins are 1" random hardwood scrap. Planning on adding a rafter tie and prop to each rafter, just for looks.

Back and side horizontal supports are 1"x2" rough-cut black locust, which hold the wire mesh in tension.

View attachment 315185 View attachment 315187 View attachment 315188 View attachment 315189 View attachment 315190 View attachment 315191 View attachment 315192 View attachment 315193 View attachment 315194 View attachment 315195 View attachment 315186
Nice design and like the hog panel sections and my just steal that idea. Should get good airflow.

Nice shed. What the heck is a bush cord? Is that the same as a cord, 4x4x8?

Why is the dog on a leash😳😝

Shed stacked yesterday, holds almost 3 bushcords enough for winter- all beech and maple, aged 2-3 years. Another dry cord from 2 years ago and 2 1/2 from last year out drying. Vicious guard dog protects from thievery lol

View attachment 315257
That is a nice shed and good load of quality firewood. I miss being home…

"Anyone" would be breaking the law in Massachusetts. Cords must be priced as full cords, and anyone pricing face cords gets the appropriate poking and prodding.

I recently bought five full cords from a local guy, $200/cord, and they measured almost exactly 128 cubic feet exactly, each. Bless him. :) Cooking them now in my summer solar setup!