Shut down?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gerry100

Minister of Fire
May 16, 2008
NY Capitol Region
With my set up. I usually shut down when overnight temps are consistently above freezing.

This year it looks like that's at least a week away around here. Shut down in past years has been mid March.

What's everybody else doing?

Probably 1st week April for me this year for day to day. Always a few days in April that are relatively cold that need to have it run and in half the evenings till May. Have had 8'' snow in mid April before here so don't rule anything out till May.

I will stop firing the boiler and heating my storage when night time temps reliably get over about 20 F and then will use the heat pump for shoulder season. Its usually in March but given it -6 at my house last night and expected to be somewhat the same tonight I need to wait for a warmup.

End of April maybe into the middle of May

We're still burning full tilt. Snowed this morning. Trying to get back on a 12 hr burn cycle now, but that's still not possible with some cold and windy nights.

I usually had been able to shut down mid to late March but for the last few years it is like Winter shifted and starts and ends later, I have been burning longer these last few years and this one seems like it will be no exception. Seems like Winter here used to be October through mid March, now it is late November until early April!

I'm not burning full time in April and May but still pretty regular. Last year or the year before I had fires around Memorial day to warm the house a bit in the mornings.

I will keep burning. I usually go from burning around the clock like we are right now to a fire when i get home,burn over night and a small fire in the am, and nothing but cloes during the day. Then i go to just an overnight fire. Then after that its just wait till October 2019.. sad.. its coming to an end

Reactions: Highbeam
Since my install is only halfway done (furnace in basement with no ducting to the upstairs yet) I’m only burning when the day’s high temp isn’t going to get above freezing. Looking like this evenings load may be the last one till October.

Next season I plan to burn for when it’s below 35° so still won’t be full time burning til maybe December or January.

I stop burning when I am no longer cold.

Sometimes that means April . . . sometimes May . . . one year I had a fire the day before July 4th.

I burn when I want to be warm.

Usually I burn for about half the time in April, occasionally into May. I remember golfing one day in my league in May and got the stove fired up soon as I got home.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
I quit when the L.P. forced air furnace is no longer even tempted to run. Whenever that may be.

We're still burning full tilt. Snowed this morning. Trying to get back on a 12 hr burn cycle now, but that's still not possible with some cold and windy nights.
Same, we have been running 3 fires/day. One in the A.M. to keep the house from getting too cold and able to get the house up to temp quickly when we get home from work then stoke it again before bed. This cold has me going overtime.

I burn anytime it's about 40 degrees outside. But I'm like molasses, I get stove up and slow anytime it drops below 60 degrees.

When I feel it is warm enough out I don’t need one. I have had a few overnight fires in the later part of May to get the chill out of the house. If I’m cold I’ll start a fire.

Over the last decade, due to insulation upgrades, our routine has settled to burning for just 9 months of the year. Mid September to mid June. Those three months of summer are spent mowing, processing firewood, and traveling with the rv to find really warm places and charge up the vitamin d stores!

Definitely April before we will be shutting down. We just had a number of days in the teens and it is only in the low 40s for highs.

We just finally got back above 0F! Monday was the coldest day of the season, I saw -35F on my way to work. Then yesterday was +33F so hopefully we're turning the corner, but the forecast still shows highs in the 20's and lows in single digits for at least the next week.

I sure picked a good year to install a new stove. This winter would have been miserable with the old one. I don't see a shutdown in my future for a while yet. :(

Shutting down in March!? Wow, my wife would be living in a hotel if I tried to do that. We burn into mid to late April. I actually think we were burning late May last year but that was abnormal.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
If the house needs heat, my boiler is running. Usually that means late April or early May when overnight temps stay above 50F.

Up until that point, I treat that fire like the olympic flame and never let it go out.

Last edited:
Heard next week/middle of March here is supposed to be below normal. So yep, see the stove going day to day to the end of the month now.

Wood use here follows a nice bell curve from September to May. Sometimes a little into June. At some point it's easier to bump the lp thermostat for 15 minutes rather than have a campfire. Then it's time to wrap it up, get things brushed and cleaned, get the garage wood storage converted to summer equipment.

Reactions: Jason A