*sigh* It's not easy being a girl

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
eclecticcottage said:
Oh you reminded me of car shopping with Dh years ago when the idiot salesman kept wanting to show me crap like makeup mirrors. I'm like the worlds biggest tomboy...I dearly wanted to ask if he saw me wearing any of that crap and what the horsepower was, but I just rolled my eyes and chose a different dealer. I bought the last three cars online, out of state. Got wicked deals too.

Try being a chick who owns a car related biz. Until I brought DH on-now everyone thinks it's his. Grr...I designed and thought up 90% of the stuff (we do t-shirts). Same as at car shows whith my car when they ask if my boyfriend or husband is around so they can ask him about it.

On the up side I get major props for hauling wood on scrounges and it helps with good will from scroungees.

High 5 !

You so are a different kind of fine :)

See link in my signature :)

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
Doing my best Julia Roberts I walked past them to the door and said "I guess you didn't want to sell me a chainsaw today."]

I remember Julia Roberts in the film saying the words..... "big mistake" .......

I can also imagine you swanning past the shop with an expensive chainsaw from elsewhere....... ;-)

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
1. I found this guy on CL giving away a big pile of firewood. We make arrangements for me to come pick it up. I am always leery about this or about having someone come here. So I do a bit of detective work using his email address and find that he has been soliciting prostitutes online. Thanks to that and urban dictionary I learned a few things.

. . .

So's that mean you're not gonna be here to pick up the wood like we talked about?

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
You're hired.

I know. Men like that only exist Once Upon a Dream.

PFFFT!
I pay all the bills
I do all the cooking
I do all the grocery shopping
I do 50% of laundry
I do 50 % of the dishes
I do 50% of the cleaning
I do all maintenance
I do all the outside work (5 acre yard to boot)
I do everything to do with river cabin
I do everything there is to do with wood burning.

Sometimes I wish I were a girl. I have two adult ones under my roof. As far as I can tell, they got it made. Flame me if you must.

Jags said:
PFFFT!
I pay all the bills
I do all the cooking
I do 50% of laundry
I do 50 % of the dishes
I do 50% of the cleaning
I do all maintenance

Sometimes I wish I were a girl. I have two adult ones under my roof. As far as I can tell, they got it made. Flame me if you must.

Hello good lookin'. :lol:

kenny chaos said:
Jags said:
PFFFT!
I pay all the bills
I do all the cooking
I do 50% of laundry
I do 50 % of the dishes
I do 50% of the cleaning
I do all maintenance

If your rich, I'm your...nevermind. :gulp:

eclecticcottage said:
Oh you reminded me of car shopping with Dh years ago when the idiot salesman kept wanting to show me crap like makeup mirrors. I'm like the worlds biggest tomboy...I dearly wanted to ask if he saw me wearing any of that crap and what the horsepower was, but I just rolled my eyes and chose a different dealer. I bought the last three cars online, out of state. Got wicked deals too.

Try being a chick who owns a car related biz. Until I brought DH on-now everyone thinks it's his. Grr...I designed and thought up 90% of the stuff (we do t-shirts). Same as at car shows whith my car when they ask if my boyfriend or husband is around so they can ask him about it.

On the up side I get major props for hauling wood on scrounges and it helps with good will from scroungees.

What is horsepower?...just kidding!

kenny chaos said:
Jags said:
PFFFT!
I pay all the bills
I do all the cooking
I do 50% of laundry
I do 50 % of the dishes
I do 50% of the cleaning
I do all maintenance

Funniest three words ever written here at hearth.com. :)

Jags said:
~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
You're hired.

PFFFT!
I pay all the bills
I do all the cooking
I do 50% of laundry
I do 50 % of the dishes
I do 50% of the cleaning
I do all maintenance

Kind of the same thing here . . . I guess my wife and I look at things as not being "man" jobs or "woman" jobs, but rather jobs that either she or I are good at or don't mind doing . . .

For example, I know my wife could do all the bills fine . . . but she trusts me to do the bills and handle the finances . . . and on my part I always let her know where we are in terms of bills, savings, etc.

As for cooking -- I would guess I do maybe 60% . . . but that's since she taught me how to cook and we have a deal . . . whoever cooks doesn't have to clean and while we have a dishwasher for the life of me I can never get it filled as much as she can.

I often do the laundry and hang the laundry or use the dryer, but she says I don't fold the clothes right so I just hang our uniforms and leave the T-shirts, underwear and socks.

I do most of the outside work, but she can mow a lawn or even plow if she had to . . . and in the same vein of thought she does most of the more "detailed cleaning" such as dusting . . . we can both do it, but it's just a more or less equal division of labor.

As for the wood burning . . . honestly I do most of the processing . . . but she runs the stove maybe 50% or more of the time . . . and I'm fine with that since it all keeps the oil bills low.

---

For the record my wife and I have seen idiots ignore her . . . usually at their own peril . . . normally in places like Home Depot, Lowes or with contractors who do not realize she knows far more than I ever will about construction . . . something about her father making everyone in her family work on their house renovations when they were young.

I remember stove shopping/kicking the tires.

First shop, a woman was working (I thought "great, this'll be easy"....not !), stressing the lovely colors & kept trying to steer me to the VC. I didn't want it, and she persisted. I left.

2nd shop treated me like some helpless female getting ready to report back to the "man" of the house. That went over well, I was outta there fast :mad:

3rd shop started talking to the guy I had with me, and I told him that it was my money that was being spent & my house that it was going into. They talked to me from there on in. Shoulda seen the look on the salesman's face when I whipped out my folder with floor plan, etc :p

Cool on the chaps !!

A good place will start with asking you some questions so they know where to start rather than putting you in the place where they think you are. Never trust any sales person who does not ask questions.

Backwoods Savage said:
I remember stove shopping/kicking the tires.

First shop, a woman was working (I thought "great, this'll be easy"....not !), stressing the lovely colors & kept trying to steer me to the VC. I didn't want it, and she persisted. I left.

2nd shop treated me like some helpless female getting ready to report back to the "man" of the house. That went over well, I was outta there fast :mad:

3rd shop started talking to the guy I had with me, and I told him that it was my money that was being spent & my house that it was going into. They talked to me from there on in. Shoulda seen the look on the salesman's face when I whipped out my folder with floor plan, etc :p

Cool on the chaps !!

A good place will start with asking you some questions so they know where to start rather than putting you in the place where they think you are. Never trust any sales person who does not ask questions.

Dennis, once he realized, he shifted gears real fast... "Door trim? We have a nice gold". Me ..."no, it's there to work, I don't need gold trim, thank you". 4 years later the guy remembers me, right down to the blue truck :)

Jags said:
~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
You're hired.

PFFFT!
I pay all the bills
I do all the cooking
I do 50% of laundry
I do 50 % of the dishes
I do 50% of the cleaning
I do all maintenance

Oh, Jagsywagsy, Darlin' ????

animal0048.gif

My wife is a really scared of the chain saw I keep saying its only a matter of time and she will at least try it. When we where in home depot and she asked about a chain I was explaining the different sizes and a lady walked up and said this is the one I own my wife went humph right. :lol: Then the sales lady and I started talking about specs and eventually different methods of cutting....... Then my wife kindly patted me and I went o I am talking about wood with the wrong person :lol: apparently the sales lady has 14 acres of land and 6 years of wood built up all cut by her that's fricken sweet. Go get them Kathleen eat them alive lol.

Pete

I'm not scared of the saw...I respect the saw...and I don't use the saw...because I'm a massive klutz. If I can trip on nothing I will. But honestly I keep busy hauling brush away from the cutting area on freshly downed trees (safety first!) and bringing new wood to saw up over to the cutting area for the precut scrounges. DH has a couple herniated discs so I do most of the lifting. Same for splitting-he runs the splitter but I bring the rounds over to him to split. Then I wheelbarrow the splits to the pile and stack.

You know I got that to some degree when I was house shopping. No one thought I was serious since I didn't have a wife I was toteing along.

BeGreen said:
My sister lives alone in eastern NC and got the same crap from realtors, contractors and the like. Luck had it that she found a reasonable carpenter that was a moonlighting cop. He has been her guardian angel since. And I'm thankful he's around to make sure she doesn't get ripped off. Fortunately she doesn't get hassled. Must be the dozen or so great danes she raises and boards. :coolgrin:

eclecticcottage said:
I'm not scared of the saw...I respect the saw...and I don't use the saw...because I'm a massive klutz. If I can trip on nothing I will. But honestly I keep busy hauling brush away from the cutting area on freshly downed trees (safety first!) and bringing new wood to saw up over to the cutting area for the precut scrounges. DH has a couple herniated discs so I do most of the lifting. Same for splitting-he runs the splitter but I bring the rounds over to him to split. Then I wheelbarrow the splits to the pile and stack.

You're Hired!

Jags said:
~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
You're hired.

PFFFT!
I pay all the bills
I do all the cooking
I do 50% of laundry
I do 50 % of the dishes
I do 50% of the cleaning
I do all maintenance

animal0048.gif

I need a hug. ;-P

firefighterjake said:
Jags said:
~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
You're hired.

PFFFT!
I pay all the bills
I do all the cooking
I do 50% of laundry
I do 50 % of the dishes
I do 50% of the cleaning
I do all maintenance

Kind of the same thing here . . . I guess my wife and I look at things as not being "man" jobs or "woman" jobs, but rather jobs that either she or I are good at or don't mind doing . . .

For example, I know my wife could do all the bills fine . . . but she trusts me to do the bills and handle the finances . . . and on my part I always let her know where we are in terms of bills, savings, etc.

As for cooking -- I would guess I do maybe 60% . . . but that's since she taught me how to cook and we have a deal . . . whoever cooks doesn't have to clean and while we have a dishwasher for the life of me I can never get it filled as much as she can.

I often do the laundry and hang the laundry or use the dryer, but she says I don't fold the clothes right so I just hang our uniforms and leave the T-shirts, underwear and socks.

I do most of the outside work, but she can mow a lawn or even plow if she had to . . . and in the same vein of thought she does most of the more "detailed cleaning" such as dusting . . . we can both do it, but it's just a more or less equal division of labor.

As for the wood burning . . . honestly I do most of the processing . . . but she runs the stove maybe 50% or more of the time . . . and I'm fine with that since it all keeps the oil bills low.

---

For the record my wife and I have seen idiots ignore her . . . usually at their own peril . . . normally in places like Home Depot, Lowes or with contractors who do not realize she knows far more than I ever will about construction . . . something about her father making everyone in her family work on their house renovations when they were young.

Pretty similar in my household. I do most outdoor chores and the wife maintains the indoor area. I vacuum the swimming pool once a week and she cleans the skimmer daily. I put clothes/dishes away but she does all the cooking. And lets face it doing laundry honestly takes a few minutes per load of actual elbow time the rest is waiting. I've never complained about a meal (even though there have been some bad ones) and that keeps me from having to cook. I do the grocery shopping on occassion and keep $ in the bank for her to spend on her needs and save for her wants. We got it pretty much made I think.

Back to the original thesis for a tick.
Lest this be taken as a pity-party, what is easy to be, if you're going to do it well? Not much.
If you think someone's going to do a "Wait Until Dark" thing with you, be sure you have emergency lighting, charged cell-phone, and maybe something more physical. Be discreet about specifics. Intrusion alarms are good. All to buy time to leave or find brown-belt roomie.
Mention should be made to mgr about sales people who stand out above/below the norm. You might tell interested friends, too.

CTYank said:
Back to the original thesis for a tick.
Lest this be taken as a pity-party, what is easy to be, if you're going to do it well? Not much.
If you think someone's going to do a "Wait Until Dark" thing with you, be sure you have emergency lighting, charged cell-phone, and maybe something more physical. Be discreet about specifics. Intrusion alarms are good. All to buy time to leave or find brown-belt roomie.
Mention should be made to mgr about sales people who stand out above/below the norm. You might tell interested friends, too.

Something more physical . . . hehheh . . . didn't one of our members write recently about how great those tasers work? ;) :)

Reminds me of the woman who got a call from the contractor that installed her double pane insulated windows. He said lady, it's been a year and you still haven't made payment. She responded.... "You told me that in a year, these windows would pay for themselves!" ;-)

Jags said:
Jags said:
~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
You're hired.

PFFFT!
I pay all the bills
I do all the cooking
I do 50% of laundry
I do 50 % of the dishes
I do 50% of the cleaning
I do all maintenance

animal0048.gif

I need a hug. ;-P

*hugs* for Jags, a kick in the butt for the other two ;-)

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
NH_Wood said:
Dear Lord Kathleen - I think you need to move! Cheers!
Oh I have! Twice in the middle of the night. I don't spook easily, but I know when to fold 'em. One was when I lived in Hawaii, another in Florida, and another here but on the other side of the county. I have DA BEST neighbors now. On Friday I came home to dinner and a fire in the stove courtesy of one of my neighbors.

or get a man...a good man!
[/quote]

Your former landlords must have been republicans. Liberal landlords like me are much easier to deal with. I practically put one of my tenants through nursing school,and right now my wife is providing free child care to another tenant.

Seasoned Oak said:
~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
NH_Wood said:
Dear Lord Kathleen - I think you need to move! Cheers!
Oh I have! Twice in the middle of the night. I don't spook easily, but I know when to fold 'em. One was when I lived in Hawaii, another in Florida, and another here but on the other side of the county. I have DA BEST neighbors now. On Friday I came home to dinner and a fire in the stove courtesy of one of my neighbors.

or get a man...a good man!

Your former landlords must have been republicans. Liberal landlords like me are much easier to deal with. I practically put one of my tenants through nursing school,and right now my wife is providing free child care to another tenant.[/quote]

That's just being a good person man ! Your on hearth so it must be true ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.