Single Wide Trailer - Want to heat water and forced air furnace from outside

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Zodiac_Speaking

Jan 3, 2023
Hickory, NC
I think the title pretty much says it all. About a 950 sq ft mobile home. Hickory, NC. We get some cold snaps during winter but it generally stays pretty mild. I do not want to put a wood stove / fireplace inside the trailer for 2 reasons. 1) Space. 2) Inside wood stove will make the place smell smoky one way or the other. I'd rather avoid that altogether and fashion an outside the home furnace / boiler / (whatever) to not only heat my water tank but to also heat the space. Since it's a single wide trailer there is only one main duct running the length of the trailer.

2) We live way out in the sticks and have no neighbors. Home brewed engineering will not be a problem. I just really have no idea or clue where to start. In theory it should be a pretty simple setup but I'm a bit overwhelmed. Help?? Thanks.

3)Ps.... no, I'm not the Zodiac. I was born in 72'. Too young. It's just a unique username. :) compared to billybob1879545

Last edited:
A properly installed and run wood stove should not introduce smoke into the house. If it does, something is amiss. There is the boiler room forum on this site, but what is being proposed is expensive and would probably produce a lot more heat than the trailer needs. A self-installed mini-split would be a lot less expensive to buy and install. It would work great in your climate.

A properly installed and run wood stove should not introduce smoke into the house. If it does, something is amiss. There is the boiler room forum on this site, but what is being proposed is expensive and would probably produce a lot more heat than the trailer needs. A self-installed mini-split would be a lot less expensive to buy and install. It would work great in your climate.
Hey begreen, thank you for the response. I see that you are a moderator so please allow me to explain myself a bit....

You can probably note somewhere that, - that was my first post ever here and the way I found this place was a similar google search of what I was looking for > "Single wide mobile home - outside heat source" , etc.... various other key words. Anyway, A post from 2011 came up (I'll never find it again) and the post was from here / this site. The original OP in 2011 was looking for a how to on exactly what I am looking to do and I noticed in that thread / post - literally everyone was telling him/them to post their question in "The Hearth Room" ....

When I joined I actually did read the rules (briefly) and I saw the section that I thought was more appropriate for my question (The boiler room forum) but I remembered the post from 2011 and everyone saying to post the question in the hearth room. So...... IDK. Sorry.

I will repost my question in the Boiler Room section. As much as I would like a fireplace/stove/ on the inside, we simply don't have the room for it and I'm not interested in drilling holes into the ceiling or walls for ventilation. I shouldn't have even said anything about the smoke concern. It's 100% space. Don't want it inside. Thanks again for the response and I'll take a look at the mini split and repost my ? in the proper place. Sorry for the confusion. I thought it didn't look right but went with the 2011 advice.

No problem. Check out the mini-split posting too. It can be done for under $2000 and that's before tax breaks.

Reactions: Zodiac_Speaking