• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamel

Feb 3, 2013
MA
Hi everyone! My sirocco 30 just arrived! :) I'm trying to figure out how much pipe I will need but I'm having trouble fitting the DVL stove adapter to the stove collar. I tried fitting my adjustable 12'' piece of DVL and it fits really nicely to the bottom of the stove collar. So my questions are is it OK to just use a DVL telescoping/adjustable piece directly into the stove collar? Or do I need to use a stove adapter? Also anyone know if the convection deck will get in the way of the outer layer of the DVL? I have no idea because my convection deck and fan kit haven't arrived yet. I put some pics up up to show what pieces of pipe and how they fit. Thanks!

Attachments

• pipe.jpg
    pipe.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 386
  • pipe1.jpg
    pipe1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 375
  • pipe3.jpg
    pipe3.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 355
  • adaptor.png
    adaptor.png
    180.3 KB · Views: 470
  • adaptor1.jpg
    adaptor1.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 374
Could be fine to skip the appliance adapter. The DVL stove pipe is directly on the flue collar on our stove and it fits well.

No adapter is required if the end of the pipe makes a nice fit. The convection deck on my princess fits around my dvl plus about an eighth inch all around. I needed the adapter as the plain end was too small to seal.

No adapter is required if the end of the pipe makes a nice fit. The convection deck on my princess fits around my dvl plus about an eighth inch all around. I needed the adapter as the plain end was too small to seal.

Thanks for both of your help. That's great that the convection deck won't get in the way of the dvl. The dvl adjustable pipe fits good. It's not perfectly round so there are some small gaps. Is it ok for the dvl to sit directly on the stove top? What do you use to seal the adapter/pipe to the stove collar? Does it need to be sealed? I really hate working with furnace cement.

Thanks for both of your help. That's great that the convection deck won't get in the way of the dvl. The dvl adjustable pipe fits good. It's not perfectly round so there are some small gaps. Is it ok for the dvl to sit directly on the stove top? What do you use to seal the adapter/pipe to the stove collar? Does it need to be sealed? I really hate working with furnace cement.

I've never had to seal a flue collar. The tapered fit tightens up as you drive it home and rounds out most out of roundness.

I've never had to seal a flue collar. The tapered fit tightens up as you drive it home and rounds out most out of roundness.
Oh...should it fit that tight? I had to seal the dvl stove adapter with my Pacific Energy because it was so loose. Maybe that's why I can't get it to fit in the sirocco. I tried removing as much furnace cement as possible. With the adjustable dvl pipe, I can pull it off and on the sirocco without a lot of effort. It is dragging against the inner sides of the stove collar. Oh well, I just bought the pipe I think I need. Hopefully it will work. Maybe I'll have to use the cement again. I also though about some wrapping thin rope gasket to tighten it.

Oh...should it fit that tight? I had to seal the dvl stove adapter with my Pacific Energy because it was so loose. Maybe that's why I can't get it to fit in the sirocco. I tried removing as much furnace cement as possible. With the adjustable dvl pipe, I can pull it off and on the sirocco without a lot of effort. It is dragging against the inner sides of the stove collar. Oh well, I just bought the pipe I think I need. Hopefully it will work. Maybe I'll have to use the cement again. I also though about some wrapping thin rope gasket to tighten it.

Oh yes, it's definitely a tight fit. Any leaks here are leaks that will weaken your draft and cool your flue so you want a good seal.

Oh yes, it's definitely a tight fit. Any leaks here are leaks that will weaken your draft and cool your flue so you want a good seal.
What if neither dvl adjustable stove pipe or stove adapter fit very tight? Are their any other connectors I can try? Can I just use furnace cement to fit it in if it's loose?

What if neither dvl adjustable stove pipe or stove adapter fit very tight? Are their any other connectors I can try? Can I just use furnace cement to fit it in if it's loose?
Selkirk makes another adapter for the double wall DVL pipe. It's called a flush stove adapter . The inside pipe is a few inches longer than the outside pipe so you can push it down farther into the stove outlet before the outside pipe hits the stovetop.

Mine was loose so I used door gasket material to snug it up. I think it was 3/8 gasket.

Selkirk makes another adapter for the double wall DVL pipe. It's called a flush stove adapter . The inside pipe is a few inches longer than the outside pipe so you can push it down farther into the stove outlet before the outside pipe hits the stovetop.

Thanks for the suggestion. I should have mentioned that I have M&G Duravent DVL. So I don't think I could mix brands.

Mine was loose so I used door gasket material to snug it up. I think it was 3/8 gasket.

Are you using it with a Sirocco? I thought about using some kind of door gasket material. Less messy than the furnace cement. How does it hold up? It won't get too hot for it there? Does it need to be replaced often?

been through this one many times...
a dvl 2-5adj section makes the best starter piece on BK stoves, fits perfectly

That's great! I ordered this exact piece hoping it would fit nicely! I received it today and tested it out and it does fit! Should this piece be raised off the stove a little bit to allow air to the outer layer of the pipe? Or can it sit directly on the stove? I see a lot of conflicting info about that.

Unfortunately I received some pretty dented up pipe that I want to return. Also the top of my telescoping piece inner layer seam is a little wonky towards the top. How does it look to you guys? It should be ok to burn with right?

Attachments

• seam.jpg
    seam.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 320
  • seam1.jpg
    seam1.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 337
on the ashford its spaced off naturally, on sc 20/30 add 3 5/16"x 1 1/4"stainless screws to space it off the stove top 1/2'

Thanks for the info. How do you guys go about putting the screws in the DVL at the stove collar? I prefer not to drill on the outside layer of the DVL pipe. Would it be ok to have the screw heads facing inside the stove collar so I would only have to drill through the inner pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.