Smelly wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hills Hoard

Minister of Fire
Mar 19, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I read you guys talking about some wood that stinks when you burn it...willow or something.maybe oak?...i never understood what you guys meant....until the weekend....i split some wood i scrounged a while back and it had an off fish smell to it..threw some on the fire i had going out side and the smell just got worse...hahah...

So now I can appreciate what you guys are talking about when you say some wood stinks...

Reactions: ScotO
I have a few sticks that stink too. I save them for when the wind shifts toward the neighbor I can't stand. ;lol

Locust stinks bad too. My wife says, "No more!" Sure burns nice though.

Reactions: loon
Not sure if anyone has ever noticed this but if i get termite infested wood then this has a very peculiar smell. Not nice pretty rancid - i thought it was a particular wood type but now i am convinced it is the termites. It might be something the arbourist has sprayed on them but i am more inclined to think it is termite excrement or termite "Stuff".

Reactions: Hills Hoard
Dennis have you completely abandon locust burning?

I have a few sticks that stink too. I save them for when the wind shifts toward the neighbor I can't stand. ;lol

I do that with black cottonwood here. If my neighbor's jerk landlord is out on his tractor, I reach for the c-wood. Smells just like my cat's pee. A lovely aroma.

I never had that experience burning black locust. Of course, compared to burning local c-wood, most wood smoke smells just fine. I have gotten free seasoned and split BL because an arborist could not burn it in his stove. I have also heard it is hard to burn, but I never had that problem with it either. Its great wood, IMO, as good as oak. I have another half cord of it that I got 2 years ago, ready to burn.

Ship your unwanted BL west and down the Columbia River, and I will divvy it up with the green bee.

I never had that experience burning black locust
I know that when I split it, it can be stinky under the bark. If the bark doesn't fall off on a load that I've scored, I will let it sit for a while until the bark gets loose and just falls away when the wood is split. I haven't burned a lot of BL, just a couple pieces mixed in with a load, but I never noticed a particular smell from it. I doubt it, but maybe Dennis is talking about Honey Locust?

"What is that stinky wood, dear?"
"It's Locust, Honey."
;lol

Reactions: Gark
And then we have here a type of elm called "pizz-elm". We have burned it for BTU's and never got complaints from neighbors. It is our good fortune to have very nice neighbors

In my experience the smell from burning black locust is with the bark, especially green and wet bark. If it sits on the woodpile for 3 or 4 years the bark will come off easily and then there is no smell burning it. Long lasting great heat.

Dennis have you completely abandon locust burning?

Not at all. We do not have any locust around here so before last winter I had never burned any. One day, etiger (who hasn't posted lately) came driving in and he had a bunch of locust in the back of his Equinox. So thanks to him we got to burn some. Not sure we'll ever burn any more but mostly because it is not plentiful here. Still, my wife did object....

Reactions: Missouri Frontier
And then we have here a type of elm called "pizz-elm". We have burned it for BTU's and never got complaints from neighbors. It is our good fortune to have very nice neighbors

No. Elm does not stink when burned. It only stinks if you cut it green. We wait until it is dead before cutting and that way it also splits much easier.

Reactions: Missouri Frontier
Status
Not open for further replies.