"Snopocolypse" 2019...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

brenndatomu

Minister of Fire
Aug 21, 2013
NE Ohio
Started freezing rain/snow combo about an hour ago...switched to all snow 15 minutes later...the road is white already. The temp was mid 20s over night (30 now, perfect snowstorm temp) so the ground is cold enough that whatever we get will stick...plus there is still a couple inches of the white stuff on the ground from the other day too. "They" are predicting somewheres 7-10" to 8-12" here, depending on who you listen to...then the cold is supposed to come in tomorrow night...somewhere around 0*F, then extra cold weather lasting a couple days.
Got wood in the garage, the gas cans are full, plenty of grocery's (and TP ;)) and the Kuuma is happily digesting a 40# load of Ash...bring it! ::-)

I bought 4 cans of expanding foam. Waiting for the chills to hit, then going through the house with the infrared cam. I hit a couple trouble spots this morning, where it already feels warmer. We have over an inch on the road already....have a feeling it's not going to be good! We have LP so we have somewhere to cook, and 2 face cord of wood in the basement so we are good!

quit rubbing it in..... :p We got a total of a measly 4" or so here....the super light powdery stuff which blows freakin' everywhere when you snow blow it, unless you tip the deflector all the way down and then you just have to keep re-blowing it when in a large open area. Just got in from blowin'.

Was 6° here this morning. 0° tonight and -2° tomorrow night.

Reactions: brenndatomu
We are right on the snow line and as the forecast gets more focused our totals are going down. A day or two ago I was wondering which snow blower I would need. Now it looks like we will just need ice skates as freezing weather moves in right behind heavy rain. Have to haul some wood before it rains.

We are right on the snow line and as the forecast gets more focused our totals are going down. A day or two ago I was wondering which snow blower I would need. Now it looks like we will just need ice skates as freezing weather moves in right behind heavy rain. Have to haul some wood before it rains.

yikes, I HATE that type of weather. We've had enough of that crap the past couple of years too. Makes for a mess.

looks like it tracking north of us. Snowfall totals down by half already. We wont escape the cold behind it though.

Hasn't started here yet. Last night's weather map put us in he 18 to 24 inch line, Just about the time I had digested the forcast and made it OK in my mind the meteorologist came back and drew a circle around my neighborhood telling us to watch for 30 inches in that area.

Starting here in the morning. I was sledding all day, -15c and still that. Supposed to drop a couple more degrees over night. Then be +8c over night tomorrow. -13c the next night. Craziness.

@brenndatomu how much snow do you have ? From that radar we are right on the snow / freezing rain line. We are up to about a 1/4 of frozen rain on the north side of the house.

I fired up the generator this afternoon just to make sure it started. Can't beat those Chinese Honda ( champion ) knock offs that start on the first pull.

@brenndatomu how much snow do you have ? From that radar we are right on the snow / freezing rain line. We are up to about a 1/4 of frozen rain on the north side of the house.

I fired up the generator this afternoon just to make sure it started. Can't beat those Chinese Honda ( champion ) knock offs that start on the first pull.
I was just out...its hard to tell for sure because it is drifting a little already...I'd guess 4"...2-3" in some places, 8" in others. It was snow/freezing rain for a bit here earlier, but has changed back again now...the cold front and its wind is supposed to blow in tonight.
Just chucked 53# of Kuuma chow in 'er belly...computer still on low...see how things feel at 7-8 AM...whenever I drag out of bed. Sure hope work doesn't call n drag me out of bed before then!

Last edited:
Reactions: sloeffle
I was looking at the radar an hour or so ago and it look like the snow/freezing rain line was gettin' kinda close to your neck of the woods. It's 6° right now by us and it's moving your way. ==c

I was just out...i
I went out around 5:30 to check on the cows and it definitely was a lot windier than what it was earlier in the day. Stepped outside a few minutes ago and it is definitely colder than what it was at 5:30. It looks to be snowing a little bit now too.

My house is 74 ( wife is happy ), so the Caddy is going to wait awhile before it get its next round of Caddy chow.

We've probably had over 8" now. There's 2 to 3 foot drifts on our road, and it's still pouring down. I've hit some bad drafty areas in our house today, and I can feel a big difference. It's currently 76 in here and I'll be loading the furnace within the next hour or so.

I was looking at the radar an hour or so ago and it look like the snow/freezing rain line was gettin' kinda close to your neck of the woods. It's 6° right now by us and it's moving your way. ==c
Its been snow most of the day, but we have been just barely on the snow side of the snow/rain line (like I said, most of the time)

I've hit some bad drafty areas in our house today, and I can feel a big difference.
Where have you been spray foaming? I assume in the attic, or basement, something like that?

Looks like its fizzling out here in central PA . About 2in on the ground and only 2hr left untill it changes to rain. Storm was way over hyped. The cold temps will be a bigger story.

No, I bought a few cans of expanding foam and removable caulk. We had a thick oak door with multiple panes of glass and it was drafty as hell. I caulked that with removable caulk, and a few window drafts. I also have a bilco door in the basement and the door at the base had probably a 1" gap which I foamed. That and a few other places. I just went out and we have 9" of snow now and my wife heard we could get that much more. It's been snowing here since around 10 A.M. That's the basement door, I just foamed it shut for now. I'll either have to custom build a new door, or buy one.

Attachments

• img_thermal_1547908188336.jpg
    img_thermal_1547908188336.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Did my smaller "after work" load a little over an hour ago. Will be doing the night load when I go to bed.

The basement temp is the temp inside the blower box of the Kuuma, so it's the temp of the return air.

Notice the nice lack of humidity. :(

DSC00700.JPG

I just went out and we have 9" of snow now and my wife heard we could get that much more. It's been snowing here since around 10 A.M.

must be nice! I'm guessing you guys don't have any snowmobile trail systems?

How far are you and bren from each other?

must be nice! I'm guessing you guys don't have any snowmobile trail systems?

How far are you and bren from each other?
No, I had a snowmobile a few years back and it got stolen. It was an old sled, so I never replaced it. I think brenn and I are less than an hour away. That humidity level is nuts! It 25 here and gusty and our humidity level is at 31% with no humidifier.

Sucks it got stolen. My dad had the complete track/suspension stolen from his years ago while it sat in the driveway on a trailer! Came out one day and it was missing the whole track system.

Here's a few photos of our doors I took back in 2014 using a co-worker's wife's camera she had from work (mechanical engineer who does energy stuff for businesses). According to weather history, it was ~20° outside when those were taken.

Our front door:
IR002058.jpg

One of the sets of patio doors (we have two):
IR002059.jpg IR002060.jpg

I have a bunch of other ones, which I think I already posted years prior, but w/o knowing the house it would be hard to know what you are looking at.