So many uglies

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
Finally getting around to sorting and stacking the fall/winter gathered piles. Seems like about 70% stackable, 30% shorts and uglies. Wish I had more confined piling space that I could just throw all these into, maybe even wrap with clear plastic for makeshift solar kilns. I guess I'm never going to get to optimal setup. I did just get 32' of level, off the ground, stacking space done.

I am running out of room fast....talked my neighbor into needing the uglies for campfire wood and got them gone..:)

I am running out of room fast....talked my neighbor into needing the uglies for campfire wood and got them gone..:)
I'm too attached to mine to burn all of them in my fire pit. By the time I get them scrounged, cut, and split, I want those BTU's inside. And I don't have a well oiled setup like you do,Tar (including the efficient labor that you've fed and clothed for many years) :)

"Optimal" - oh boy...we could make millions....
A glass/clear plastic roofed 8x16 corn crib type arrangement for the shorts and uglies, and an 8x24 metal roof pole barn woodshed, both nice and close to the house, would get me there.

They used to sell house kits through Sears, Montgomery Ward, etc., where all the peices, cut and crated, arrived at your address ready to assemble. My Grandparents lived in one, it was actually pretty nice. I think the Shark Tank folks would laugh me off the stage when i showed up with my Modular Optimal Firewood Storage Kit 3000 (patent pending) idea.

Reactions: Jags
I'm too attached to mine to burn all of them in my fire pit. By the time I get them scrounged, cut, and split, I want those BTU's inside. And I don't have a well oiled setup like you do,Tar (including the efficient labor that you've fed and clothed for many years) :)
I normally keep them to burn on weekends and early evenings but I am trying to max my firewood storage out as my son graduates from college this Saturday and we don't know where he is going to land a job. So we are making sure dad is covered no matter what. If he doesn't get a job close thats going to hurt....lol

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I have a pretty big pile of uglies I just stacked by the firepit. What doesn't get burned there will go in the stove come October.

Chunks and uglies get tossed on to the top of the woodstack . . . and are the first to be burned in the Fall.

I don't bother with uglies. They stay in my woods. For the wood peckers and wild life to enjoy. But I have no shortage of free wood. If I were in need of wood I would find a way to process them. Probably noodle them into smaller pieces. Knotted wood and uglies stay where they fall for me.

I have some big norway maple uglies I'm trying to deal with. They are about 6"x8" tapering to 2x3 at the top. I've hacked them about 20 minutes and I can only get wood chips out of it. Im either going to try sawing them or hope they season enough and toss them whole for an evening burn.

These uglies make me thankful I just got about 40' of perfectly straight, notless rounds of ash. Some split fully with one 5lb maul strike at 18"x18". Just have to drag them a few hundred feet out of the woods :confused:

Last edited:
Usually uglies pack the most heat. Knots, burls, odd growth is usually the densest.

I put mine on top.

If I had more than that would deal with, I'd round up or make a couple of wire totes for them.

Usually uglies pack the most heat. Knots, burls, odd growth is usually the densest.

I put mine on top.

If I had more than that would deal with, I'd round up or make a couple of wire totes for them.

That is true but due to their odd shape it's hard to fit many the stove at one time. I burn the uglies in early fall so that in the middle of winter I can pack the stove really full with the straight stuff.

Reactions: AmbDrvr253