Sometimes it all comes together

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
We've been on an 8 hr reload cycle for weeks. This old house loses heat quickly. Temps are finally, gradually getting a little warmer. With nighttime temps in the low 30s and sunny daytime temps around 45 we are back to 12 hr burn cycles. I am burning mostly wild cherry now. It creates a lot more ash than fir, but it also produces longer lasting coals. Yesterday I got lazy. The house was still comfortable so I delayed until 9pm to reload after a 7am start. 14 hrs and there was still a generous coal bed and a 210º stove top. I like it when that happens.

20190305_211129_resized.jpg

Weird, it's been snowing here all day. Ground is still frozen in places and the last two mornings were right at 20 degrees. That warm puget sound must really help out.

How cold is cold for you Begreen? I agree, cherry leaves a lot of ash, its low on my list but I have tons of oak and hickory up here.

For me those temps are not cold enough to burn full time. In low 30's I would do evening fires getting the house toasty. Let it burn out overnight. A morning fire and a few reloads. Let it burn out until the evening.

Well arnt you lucky then eh. It was 3 degrees when I woke up today and 7 right now. Load the stove when I wake up then throw in just a few slits when I get home from work and reload around 8.
Hopefully next week spring will remember to wake up.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Well arnt you lucky then eh. It was 3 degrees when I woke up today and 7 right now. Load the stove when I wake up then throw in just a few slits when I get home from work and reload around 8.
Hopefully next week spring will remember to wake up.
Yeah, it's been cold in the northeast, that's why I was wondering what's considered cold in the PAC NW.

Yeah, it's been cold in the northeast, that's why I was wondering what's considered cold in the PAC NW.

The pnw includes quite a range of climates. Everything from high desert to rain forests. The puget sound is always right near 50 degrees so if you live near it your temperatures will be pretty mild.

My normal is to plow the drive once and run two stoves for one week. I have plowed twice this year and should have plowed a third time. I have run two stoves over three weeks. Highs have been 20-30 degrees. It is starting to warm up and the next week should see highs in the 40-50 range. This is in the banana belt of Idaho.

The pnw includes quite a range of climates. Everything from high desert to rain forests. The puget sound is always right near 50 degrees so if you live near it your temperatures will be pretty mild.
Your further inland near the foothills if I remember correctly, was just wondering climate closer to the coastal plain. We visited last spring and it was chilly, drizzly for 2 of the days, good BK on low weather.

Reactions: Highbeam
After 14 hrs I definitely couldn't have a coal bed like that in my T5. 10-12 hrs is doable though. I wish I had the layout capable of housing the T6.

Woke up to a nice coal bed as well this morning and the family room, kitchen, and office at 75 degrees (only about 40 outside). With a cup of coffee in hand, it's a relaxing morning.

Reactions: moresnow
How cold is cold for you Begreen? I agree, cherry leaves a lot of ash, its low on my list but I have tons of oak and hickory up here.
We've been having nights in the mid to high 20's but now they are slowly starting to stay just above freezing. I burn what I have. We were supposed to have a warm el Nino winter this year, lol, so I didn't stock up on as much doug fir as usual. I will this year. Snowed again today.
he pnw includes quite a range of climates. Everything from high desert to rain forests. The puget sound is always right near 50 degrees so if you live near it your temperatures will be pretty mild.
- Milder - than inland, usually by about 5º warmer, but not when there is a strong cold wind blowing down from Canada. On the flip side it does make for some great air conditioning in the summer. We are often 10-15º cooler than Seattle on hot scorching days as long as there is a breeze from the north.

I'd love some 20-30 degree weather. Got about 4.5 ft of snow on the level and running out of places to put it. I started my fire in November. I'll put it out next month I hope.

Perhaps running afoul of this forum's theme by mentioning this, but for Oregon and Washington weather and their microclimates check out the interesting read:
"The Weather of the Pacific Northwest" a book by Cliff Mass

I believe Seattle area folks may already know his weather and climate blog https://cliffmass.blogspot.com

I think he is an atmospheric sciences Prof at University of Washington.

Last edited:
Perhaps running afoul off this forum's theme by mentioning this, but for Oregon and Washington weather and their microclimates check out the interesting read:

I believe Seattle area folks may already know his weather and climate blog https://cliffmass.blogspot.com

I believe he is an atmospheric sciences Prof at University of Washington.

I took one undergrad atmospheric science class at the UW. I did enjoy the wannabe weather girls!

Perhaps running afoul off this forum's theme by mentioning this, but for Oregon and Washington weather and their microclimates check out the interesting read:

I believe he is an atmospheric sciences Prof at University of Washington.
Cliff's blog is my morning read.