Sometimes you feel like a nut..........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Backwoods Savage said:
Also, last year we had very few apples. This year will be a bumper crop. Theory has it there will be a glut of cider this fall.

I don't know what to think about apples. Last year my neighbor's tree produced pretty well and mine were terrible. This year mine are LOADED and his is almost bare.

I have an early transparent tree that just got done. One branch about 6 feet long got too heavy and broke off. We picked 112 apples off the one branch. Ended up putting up about 40 gallons of apples (mostly apple sauce and pie fillings) from the one tree. My other tree is just as loaded but won't be ready till fall. I don't know what kind it is because it didn't make a single apple last year. I pruned it over the winter and it took off. Most of that tree will go for cider.

The only difference is I pruned mine and he did not (and has not for many many years).

Well, pruning does make a huge difference.

Backwoods Savage said:
Well, pruning does make a huge difference.

I guess the point I was trying to make was my neighbor's never-been-pruned apple tree went from a pickup load (we made cider with them) to almost nothing this year. Maybe this was an off year...or they are cyclical too.

Figure on once every 7 years you won't get much of a crop.

What about this little black ants?? Usually we see a couple around the kitchen looking for easy pickings, for maybe a week or two. These things have been hounding us for months this year, and show no sign of slacking off. They are forcing me to be a lot neater than I would normally be, and I don't like it. :lol:

Sometimes you don't

Status
Not open for further replies.