sooteater??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scojen

Hearth Supporter
Jul 21, 2010
Southern Maryland
newbie here so hello to all,

my question is in regards to the sooteater as an acceptable alternative to traditional chimney cleaning ie. brushes, etc. Does the sooteater do a comparable job or is it a gimmick? I have done searches regarding this and cannot seem to get a clear answer. The reason I ask is because of my roof setup tradtional chimney cleaning would be unsafe (not impossible) and so I am looking for a bottom-up solution. Any info or alternatives you could provide would be appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to the forums. I clean both of my flues from the bottom up with the Gardus sooteater, and I'm completely satisfied with its performance and convenience. Rick

Do a search and you'll find more than a few folks who are pleased with the Soot-eater . . . is it possible to use a regular poly or wire chimney brush and do the sweep from the bottom as well?

firefighterjake said:
Do a search and you'll find more than a few folks who are pleased with the Soot-eater . . . is it possible to use a regular poly or wire chimney brush and do the sweep from the bottom as well?

It may be possible to use a brush from the bottom as I have not tried yet. I am just trying to figure out the best solution before I order the cleaning materials (actually i have ordered stuff for both methods to try both). I am just trying to figure out the preferred method. The sooteater seems to be the easiest to use but I am wondering if it does as good a job as a brush? ideally can the sooteater be a permamnent replacement for the brush?

I like mine and have cleaned my stoves from the bottom up only since I got it, with good results. It does a serviceable job of cleaning the cap too.
Joe

Thanks Guys,

I ordered my sooteater and it worked great! I have never cleaned from the roof with a brush so I cannot compare. However, the sooteater did exactly what I needed it to do. The chimney from my basement unit needed 33ft of rods and became a little hard to manage towards the end but still did the job. My upstairs unit I had no problems and did it in no time. Pipes look very clean. I am very happy with it. Thnaks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.