Source for facemasks to filter smoke?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coach B

Oct 29, 2010
Middle Tennessee
Have a Hardy outdoor waterstove. Like the wood heat, but the smoke is pretty bad at times while loading. Have used the cheapo masks from hardware stores and Wallyworld, however, seems research indicates most of those don't filter out the smaller particulates in woodsmoke. That research on particulates in woodsmoke is pretty scary. Any suggestions on what is needed and where I can find it? Thanks!

The Baileys filter is Quite costly and is a One Time use. I'm not saying it dosen't work but,31 dollars a shot seems like you may as well go to Oil.

mtarbert said:
The Baileys filter is Quite costly and is a One Time use. I'm not saying it dosen't work but,31 dollars a shot seems like you may as well go to Oil.

That would be a one time shot for a firefighter! If your trying to filter smoke and worried about it then look to the firefighters....I would just fold my breath...lol

smokinjay said:
mtarbert said:

That would be a one time shot for a firefighter! If your trying to filter smoke and worried about it then look to the firefighters....I would just fold my breath...lol

Or, I dunno. . . clean your chimney, eh?

Coach B said:
Have a Hardy outdoor waterstove. Like the wood heat, but the smoke is pretty bad at times while loading. Have used the cheapo masks from hardware stores and Wallyworld, however, seems research indicates most of those don't filter out the smaller particulates in woodsmoke. That research on particulates in woodsmoke is pretty scary. Any suggestions on what is needed and where I can find it? Thanks!

Not to get cute, but maybe the stove is sending you some feedback: disapproval of quality of fuel and how it's being fed. Likely, this is what folks downwind are experiencing too. No easy answers, just questions here.

CTYank said:
Coach B said:

Not to get cute, but maybe the stove is sending you some feedback: disapproval of quality of fuel and how it's being fed. Likely, this is what folks downwind are experiencing too. No easy answers, just questions here.

No question that one of the drawbacks of this type of stove is the smoke. Hardys and Taylors are about all you see down here with the serious woodburning folks. I have learned they are by nature terribly inefficient and heavy smoke producers. But the Hardy will last forever and will burn any kind of wood that you throw in them, that's the sales pitch for around here. I have gotten much pickier about using well-seasoned wood, however, smoke is still a problem when loading. Maybe I need to post the question in the boiler section, surely somebody in the world of woodburners uses a quality mask for protection.

Welcome to the forum Coach B.

I understand the problem as I've been around some of those stoves and it does get bad at times. I agree to look at the firefighters and also post in the boiler section.

firefighterjake said:
http://www.professionalequipment.com/3m-full-face-respirator-6000-series-medium-6800/full-face-respirator/

I use this when I spray paint and used it the past couple weeks working in a basement on an oil boiler that ran for a long time with a seized blower motor in the power vent. With the round pink cartridges, it worked well. With the standard ones, I had to replace them more often. Not sure what the difference is, just did what the guy at the paint store advised for the soot/fumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.