Splitter recommendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spikem said:
bogydave said:
Yeah I know, but I split 4 cords a few weeks ago with a borrowed splitter in 1/2 a day,
I cut 2 trees in my yard up & split with a maul, all day job for one retired guy. (1/3 of a cord)
I figure I could split 8 cords with a hydraulic splitter in a day, be a good day but doable.
Just have to round up the rounds, have it ready to go, get the family out there to shuck wood.

Don't get me wrong, I really want a good splitter, just no going to buy a junk one & be sorry later.
Got a buddy that says we can build one. May be the way to go. Need to check $ for parts & scrounge some steel.
I'll eventually have one but not over $1,000 dollar one.

;-)

Ok. You got me. How?

"Spikem" didn't state how many offspring he has, and if it was a 24 hour day or a "work"day ! ;-)

Kong said:
Tonage is a way to rate splitters but its sort of arbitrary. Most "manufacturers" are optomistic in their estimates. A better way to quickly compare machines is the diameter of the cylinder. Basically in this case your choice will be 4" (20~25 ton) 4.5" (22`27 ton) and 5" (generally rated at 28 ton or above). I'm not saying those tonnage estimates are accurate, only that those are the general ranges the makers will claim for their machines.

It sounds to me like you're looking for one with a 4.5" diameter cylinder. It might be called 25 ton or 27 ton, but it doesn't matter its power will be the same. An engine of about 6.5hp or more will do just fine. I'm a fan of Honda's but my own splitter has a big Briggs and Straton and I am perfectly pleased with it, starts on the first pull every time.
Kong; If they were all honest that would be fine. I read a review on a Northern where the purchaser said he bought a splitter with a 5" cylinder & the cylinder was 5" OD. If true this is just dishonest in my book. Bore size is obviously all that matters, Randy

Singed Eyebrows said:
Kong said:
Tonage is a way to rate splitters but its sort of arbitrary. Most "manufacturers" are optomistic in their estimates. A better way to quickly compare machines is the diameter of the cylinder. Basically in this case your choice will be 4" (20~25 ton) 4.5" (22`27 ton) and 5" (generally rated at 28 ton or above). I'm not saying those tonnage estimates are accurate, only that those are the general ranges the makers will claim for their machines.

It sounds to me like you're looking for one with a 4.5" diameter cylinder. It might be called 25 ton or 27 ton, but it doesn't matter its power will be the same. An engine of about 6.5hp or more will do just fine. I'm a fan of Honda's but my own splitter has a big Briggs and Straton and I am perfectly pleased with it, starts on the first pull every time.
Kong; If they were all honest that would be fine. I read a review on a Northern where the purchaser said he bought a splitter with a 5" cylinder & the cylinder was 5" OD. If true this is just dishonest in my book. Bore size is obviously all that matters, Randy

What is the different between 5" cylinder & the cylinder was 5" OD? I'm not doubting you, I just don't get it. Plus, as I'll be looking to get a splitter this year, and have pretty much settled on Northern, I'm really curious.

Spikem said:
Singed Eyebrows said:
Kong said:

What is the different between 5" cylinder & the cylinder was 5" OD? I'm not doubting you, I just don't get it. Plus, as I'll be looking to get a splitter this year, and have pretty much settled on Northern, I'm really curious.
A 5" cylinder needs to be 5" ID not OD. The OD means nothing unless you know wall thickness. Northern has some nice splitters & I also might buy one, you can bet I'll be taking a tape measure with me if I do though as I won't buy a 5" cylinder that is 5" OD. Hope this helps some, Randy

Ok, so what is "ID versus "OD"?

ID is inside diameter, OD is outside diameter. If you're measuring the outside diameter of the cylinder, it includes the thickness of the cylinder (where larger is not necessarily helping). With inside diameter, you're essentially measuring the size of the piston inside the cylinder, which is doing the work. Generally, the bigger the more power.

Thanks for dumbing this down so I can understand it! I definitely appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.