Splitting Mauls ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grateful

Hearth Supporter
Jan 1, 2010
Eastern WA
Can someone recommend a splitting maul for 8"to 24" douglas fir rounds? Doug Fir is similar to splitting red oak but the fibers really stick together unless it has seasoned for a year.
I'm looking at a Stihl PA 80 or Fiskar's X27. I split most of my wood - 8 full cords - with a hydraulic splitter but split about 4 of those cords by hand (smaller pieces) when the outdoor temps rise and I don't need the heat of a large log. Tonight I used the Truper 6 lb maul and noticed that I need to use full rotation and force or the maul will bounce off the log - the cutting edge is rather blunt compared to my old maul. I've used an 8 lb maul for 20+ years and realize its time for a change. Perhaps there is a better tool besides the X27 or PA 80?
Any help with this subject will be appreciated.
Steve

I really like my Fiskars X25...........but all I've split with it so far is Ash. Works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.