Spongy silver maple:is it worth my time?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EPS

Burning Hunk
Jun 5, 2015
NH
I have nothing but time lately, so I'll probably still split the stuff up for exercise if nothing else, but

I cut up a downed silver maple into 22 inch rounds. I shoulda been suspicious of its quality when cutting because it was like cutting butter. When splitting it either split right apart in big spongy thuds or the maul would sink in.

I am working on a pile for the 21-22 burning season, so if I season this stuff for 18 months, would it be dry enough to be burnable? I feel like I cut it up right at the brink of it being useless, and I'm wondering if anyone else has had success drying similar stuff out.

That should dry pretty quickly if you top cover it...stuff like that tends to absorb rain if not covered...and it will only be good for shoulder season wood...probably very light once dry.
I'll process wood like that sometimes, not a ton though.

I personally wouldn't put the time and energy in to it. It's still gonna be junk fuel even if/when it dries.

Silver maple does not inspire me time-wise, when it's in good condition. I'd do it for the exercise only.

Not sure what part of NH you're in but I've dried out the punky silver maple before and used it during shoulder season. Even dried out it's pretty much worthless and I only did it years ago when I was worried about being short on firewood for the season. Now that I'm moving in on being two years ahead, I wouldn't touch the stuff. If you're working on your 21-22 firewood, I wouldn't waste the energy on punky maple.

When it’s punky like you described it really doesn’t put out much heat. Unless you’re just killing time I’d find something better.