SS Chimney Straight Through The Roof Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
Now that I have the new Woodstock Keystone on the way, my next chore is deciding my chimney options.

When I do some searches on various stoves and chimneys here (and on manufacturer's web sites), I see some SS chimneys exiting the top of the stove (vs the back) and going straight up through the roof.

My question is - when you run your SS chimney pipe from the stove up, how do you remove the pipe to clean-out the stove outlet or remove stuff you've brushed down from the top when cleaning the stove? Is this SS pipe permanent or is it easy to remove a section like a standard single wall stove pipe going from a stove and turning 90 degrees into a chimney?

A friend of mine has an old woodstove insert and stuff just falls out of the pipe and into the firebox.

I like the idea of rear discharge with a tee as was suggested to me on this forum - tying a bag to the tee to collect the debri when cleaning the chimney. The problem with that set-up for me is I want the stove to set as close the wall as possible and rear exit makes me move the stove out further.

I have to look at the Keystone when it gets here, but I am courious if when you turn the cat out of the way, would that open an unobstructed path from the chimney to the fire box when cleaning out the chimney?

Thanks!!!!!!!
Bill

A nifty telescoping section of pipe makes this pretty easy if you need it. Make your last length of pipe telescoping and it is pretty easy.

Double walled stove pipe will reduce your clearance if you like the rear vent tee idea.

Can't you pull the cat out, leave the pipe connected, and sweep right into the stove?

Agree with Begreen.
Telescoping top section of single wall off the stove. Drop the top section down and remove the single wall to outside for cleaning.
Bought 4 magnets to hold the garbage bag to the trim plate on the interior of the ceiling support.
Brush it out and reassemble. Thats my plan.
Have to admit it would be nice to go straight thru into the stove without dissassembling the pipe.
I have a damper in mine but never use it. May have to think about this myself.
Thanks for the idea.........
Hope this helps
rn

Hogwildz said:
Can't you pull the cat out, leave the pipe connected, and sweep right into the stove?

The cat shouldn't be in the way, it's forward in the stove. The bypass plate should be right under the flue exhaust, but if it's like the fireview's it will open but won't be enough out of the way for all the soot to fall into the stove. If the stove is rear vented with double wall pipe and tee he will meet the minimum rear stove clearance and could also remove the cat for maintenance through the top plate.

I called Woodstock this afternoon and they said, on the Keystone, if you are attaching your stove pipe out the top vs the rear, you can leave the stove pipe in place when cleaning a straight up chimney set-up like I have described - letting the cresote and soot to fall into the fire box. However, when you clean the stove pipe/vertical chimney set-up, it is a good idea when finished to take off the rear plate (which is used to cover the rear outlet opening) and vacuum out the remaining ashes around the damper area. I think that would be a good time to remove the cat and clean too.

On another note, THE KEYSTONE IS SETTING IN THE BACK OF MY TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I just have to get the thing off.

Thanks!
Bill

Well as long as you burn good dry wood you won't have much ash or soot anyways. I still think whatever you brush down is all going to sit on top of the bypass damper. When you look at your stove check out the damper, it's on a hinge and doesn't slide away to an open fire box so it will pile up on top but like Woodstock says you can just open up the rear plate and vacuume out.

Status
Not open for further replies.