St Croix Auburn Auger problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ron Dehli

Apr 20, 2019
Holmen, WI
I have a St Croix Auburn and I am having auger problems. I removed the auger and powered it directly from an outlet and it turns at a rate of 2RPM. This seems OK. When I connect it to the stove and power the stove on, the auger feed light never comes on and when I try to manually press the auger feed, nothing happens. There is no power to the auger motor. Is there a way to troubleshoot the control board?

Hello
The safety switches that supply power to the auger from the control panel must be checked 1st.
1. The vacuum switch
2. The high limit switch
3. The hopper lid switch (of there is one)
You can remove the 2 wires from each item above and connect the wires together one at a time to see if any of these switches are bad. If not then I would suspect the control panel. :)
Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: heat seeker
Thanks for this information. I don't have a hopper lid switch. I did jumper the vacuum switch, and with this jumper in place the exhaust fan turns on. Is this normal? And still no auger feed by pressing the manual button.
I also placed a jumper on the high limit switch (the switch with a reset button) and this seemed to not do anything either.

I am leaning towards a bad or faulty control board.

Thanks for this information. I don't have a hopper lid switch. I did jumper the vacuum switch, and with this jumper in place the exhaust fan turns on. Is this normal? And still no auger feed by pressing the manual button.
I also placed a jumper on the high limit switch (the switch with a reset button) and this seemed to not do anything either.

I am leaning towards a bad or faulty control board.
If you did not have the stove plugged into a good surge protector then it sounds like Mr. Spike nailed your control board!