started splitting the walnut

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly Tim! We cooked on the firepit this evening, when we were done cooking I threw some slivers of that black walnut I split on the fire, man does that stuff smell great when burning! Kinda sucks that I have to wait til 2014 2015 to burn my black walnut!

Very nice Scotty, I wish you lived by me I have several Black Walnuts i need to come down. I bought this house two years ago and sold the big walnuts for 5k now I have alot of small walnuts I need removed because they are by the house or garage they will make great fire wood though.
if I was closer I'd help you get them down. They are some good looking firewood trees. I might be tempted to mill some of them logs with the chainsaw.....

Reactions: etiger2007
Scotty, Hogwildz,
Sounds good to me! I'm starting to get of the opinion that if I can get whatever for free, I'll CSS it and add it to the stacks. It all burns right?
Tim

Tim, that's the way I look at it. Not crazy about pine since there is so much work/time spent de-limbing but otherwise I have a hard time passing up "free" wood.

Scotty, Hogwildz,
Sounds good to me! I'm starting to get of the opinion that if I can get whatever for free, I'll CSS it and add it to the stacks. It all burns right?
Tim
You got that right. cut it, split it, stack it, burn it. Heat is heat. All wood has it's place. Burn the junk & gunk in the shoulders, or mix in with hard stuff. Save the good stuff for The cold weather.

Reactions: ScotO
You got that right. cut it, split it, stack it, burn it. Heat is heat. All wood has it's place. Burn the junk & gunk in the shoulders, or mix in with hard stuff. Save the good stuff for The cold weather.
I like the way you think, Hogz!

Ditto! Not fussy here.

Just a question Scotty, is it possible to mill those big rounds into smaller slabs and joint them together into useful sized boards? Or is that more work than worth?

Just a question Scotty, is it possible to mill those big rounds into smaller slabs and joint them together into useful sized boards? Or is that more work than worth?
They would dry faster & less chance of cupping than when in wider boards originally.Just depends on what you want for the finished product. My planer only takes boards 12 1/2" wide or less.Boards/slabs/planks wider than that I use scrub plane first,then 20 in. long 19th Century very heavy Scottish cast iron jointer plane,followed by belt sander w/80 or 100 grit belt depending on if its straight grain or not. Clear stock planing by hand is faster for me than sanding,if there's curly grain or chance of more tearout,then I switch to abrasives.

Reactions: Realstone and ScotO
Realstone, I think Thistle covered it to a TEE.;) Like he said, it all depends on what you plan on using the wood for. Check this link out, it's a guy making a very nice chair out of cordwood.......all with hand tools! It goes to show that anything is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.